Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visionz

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 30, 2020, 07:03 PM
Stef has actually come off as reasonably intelligent in a lot of interviews and just doesn't bite his tongue when you ask him about his band. He's also a guy with some peculiar beliefs, if Chino saying Stef is a flat earther is to be believed (I don't think that necessarily means the guy is stupid, just misguided and/or a contrarian). Sure, he can come off like a bit of a dick (almost every old school picture has him flipping off the camera lol) and he seems to talk the most shit in interviews with the whole band, but he's also been really illuminating/informative in a lot of his one-on-one interviews - and often more straightforward than the rest of the 'tones.

When hes talking about his guitar playing maybe but hes never come off to me as being the informative one. I would say since Sergio has been with them, its been him by a long shot. That guy likes to talk about things and in great detail. Steph doesnt really give a fuck. Hes always been that way i think

LG95

Anyone hear Chino's interview with Zane Lowe yesterday? I don't have Apple Music so I don't think I can listen to it.
I could float here forever

kurtone

Quote from: LG95 on Oct 01, 2020, 04:17 PM
Anyone hear Chino's interview with Zane Lowe yesterday? I don't have Apple Music so I don't think I can listen to it.

Around the Fur is his favorite album, which he's said before. He admitted they don't rehearse like they should for tours. Said Stephen says they need to practice more.  Funny story about Stephen pre-covid, he wanted to not put out a new record or tour and just have the band learn all the back catalog and rent a studio and play every week and film it.

LG95

Quote from: kurtone on Oct 01, 2020, 10:00 PM
Said Stephen says they need to practice more.  Funny story about Stephen pre-covid, he wanted to not put out a new record or tour and just have the band learn all the back catalog and rent a studio and play every week and film it.
Good idea. Easy to forget that even pre-COVID they'd only played a handful of shows in 2018 and 2019. They're probably WAY out of practice.

from_musings

n/m

Draken

A really cool interview with Chino in time for my favorite season of year, Halloween. Starts @ ~16:30 on the podcast. He talks about his favorite horror films, working on a score for Blumhouse and Hulu's "Into The Dark", NEW CROSSES!, and staying in a haunted house during the White Pony Sessions.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/podcasts/3634013/podcasts-chino-moreno-talks-horror-new-deftones-album-ohms-boo-crew/

Vesanic

Funny story about Stephen pre-covid, he wanted to not put out a new record or tour and just have the band learn all the back catalog and rent a studio and play every week and film it.

Holy shit. They should do that now no matter the new record. They won't be able to tour it this year or next year anyway.

LG95

Vesanic

French interview with Abe. I'll translate that later. Some cool stuff, for example we learn that the finger snaps on TSOM were an idea given by Zach Hill while they were hanging out in a bar with him and he basically convinced them to do that on the record, so they all started snapping their fingers.
https://exitmusik.fr/interview-deftones/?fbclid=IwAR1TovsgAxPdmU70QQl_K0H9ScdVI4pdk45DBhyqv4TnHMGVimASyI8v144

Penicks

Vesanic

Far away

Around the Fur is his favorite album, which he’s said before. He admitted they don’t rehearse like they should for tours. Said Stephen says they need to practice more.  Funny story about Stephen pre-covid, he wanted to not put out a new record or tour and just have the band learn all the back catalog and rent a studio and play every week and film it.

Oh boy... now we need to see this happening.

Quote from: LG95 on Oct 04, 2020, 03:12 PM
Don't think this has been posted - Kerrang piece with Terry Date about working with them again.

https://www.kerrang.com/features/how-terry-date-captured-the-magic-of-deftones-on-ohms/

Really nice interview. Cool to see how Terry speaks about them. Thank you for the link.
BTW, I had no idea about the different drum setups!

Vesanic

from_musings

google translate-

++++
Deftones
Ohms
Reprise/Warner

Deftones has probably never sounded better.
With new thinking and curiosity, Deftones makes a grand return.
In fact, they have probably never sounded better.

ALTERNATIVE METAL Deftones from California can hardly be accused of getting stuck in the past.
For more than 30 years, the alternative metal band has been almost allergic to the status quo. Even after the loss of member Chi Cheng, they found the strength to continue.
After the soft and relatively quiet "Gore", Deftones is now pushing in the opposite direction on their ninth album "Ohms". And that together with returning producer Terry Date , who made their first four records. Anger and frustration over, among other things, today's harsh conversational climate and polarization in society are heavily covered by Abe Cunningham's thunderous drumming, Stephen Carpenter's groovy riffs and Chino Moreno's passionate screams and sweet singing.

But beyond the wrath there is also a lot of warmth. Fascinating sensitivity, crisp melodies and atmospheric synth loops through the hard facade, signed Frank Delgado .
They even manage to make samples of screaming seagulls feel gripping.

The glow and nuances make Deftone's ninth album an unexpected peak of form.
And that at the same year that the iconic album "White Pony" and "Diamond Eyes" celebrate 20 and 10 years respectively.

Suddenly, 2020 became significantly better.

BEST TRACK: "This link is dead".

Visionz

976-EVIL

Quote from: from_musings on Oct 08, 2020, 01:49 PM
google translate-

++++
Deftones
Ohms
Reprise/Warner

Deftones has probably never sounded better.
With new thinking and curiosity, Deftones makes a grand return.
In fact, they have probably never sounded better.

ALTERNATIVE METAL Deftones from California can hardly be accused of getting stuck in the past.
For more than 30 years, the alternative metal band has been almost allergic to the status quo. Even after the loss of member Chi Cheng, they found the strength to continue.
After the soft and relatively quiet "Gore", Deftones is now pushing in the opposite direction on their ninth album "Ohms". And that together with returning producer Terry Date , who made their first four records. Anger and frustration over, among other things, today's harsh conversational climate and polarization in society are heavily covered by Abe Cunningham's thunderous drumming, Stephen Carpenter's groovy riffs and Chino Moreno's passionate screams and sweet singing.

But beyond the wrath there is also a lot of warmth. Fascinating sensitivity, crisp melodies and atmospheric synth loops through the hard facade, signed Frank Delgado .
They even manage to make samples of screaming seagulls feel gripping.

The glow and nuances make Deftone's ninth album an unexpected peak of form.
And that at the same year that the iconic album "White Pony" and "Diamond Eyes" celebrate 20 and 10 years respectively.

Suddenly, 2020 became significantly better.

BEST TRACK: "This link is dead".

Thanks for this! Definitely agreed here.
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

Draken

Didn't see this posted

Another interview with Abe that's kinda funny, he makes fun of Stef during the recording process and talks about the fans overlaying the Ohms eyes on Chi's picture. They mistook that for Chino and used his picture, EPIC FAIL. LOLZ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zzlVhuAWJU

mandalay

Stef has wanted to do that studio lock-out idea for years - well over a decade now.  It's too unconventional for the band, though ( = $$$).  Stef is prob the most down to earth of the guys.  Special nod to Abe and Chi too.  Zero ego.  Loves his fans and appreciates the success they've had.  Very genuine, sweet guy.  The fact that he entertains alternative theories shows he has an open mind to what's out there.  Maybe he does think he's pretty smart, but he's not wrong. 

N0S3BLEED976

Hidalgo

true, Stephen is really down to earth, and no ego. Abe as well

Chino's pretty nice too. they're all good dudes