Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menos el Oso

Eww. Iggy Pop should keep his shirt on.. lol

Vesanic

Don't know if this was posted. The audio interview can be played on the page.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=150195

Norway's Metal Express Radio recently conducted an interview with DEFTONES turntablist/keyboardist Frank Delgado. You can now listen to the chat using the audio player below.

DEFTONES' new video, "You've Seen The Butcher", can be viewed below. The clip was filmed on September 19 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and was directed by Jodeb (DESPISED ICON).

"You've Seen The Butcher" comes off DEFTONES' new album, "Diamond Eyes", which sold 62,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 6 on The Billboard 200 chart.

DEFTONES' previous album, "Saturday Night Wrist", opened with 76,000 units back in November 2006 to land at position No. 10 on The Billboard 200 chart.

"Diamond Eyes" was released on May 4 via Warner.

The iTunes deluxe edition of "Diamond Eyes" contains three exclusive cover versions:

* Do You Believe (THE CARDIGANS cover)
* Ghosts (JAPAN cover)
* Caress (DRIVE LIKE JEHU cover)

"Diamond Eyes" is DEFTONES' first album first since bassist Chi Cheng's life-altering car accident, which has left him in a comatose state.

bodywars9000

Hey, can anyone direct me to any good interviews that talk about actual musicianship i.e. playing and/or writing???
For example, i don't think i've ever heard an interview with Chi where he discusses how he approaches writing basslines, or about how he plays, OR an interview maybe with Abe discussing how he approaches writing his drum patterns or other details, and i would really like to read/hear that. If ANYBODY knows of ANY interviews with ANY or ALL of the bandmembers talking about this stuff, PLEASE PLEASE let me know? :)
Also, basically any interview where they actually talk about writing a song.
Hope to hear a response, thanx in advance.

Vesanic? Anyone? 

UrZ*

Quote from: Inkblades on Feb 26, 2011, 07:06 AM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=154470

Interview with Chino and Sergio about the Bangkok riot, Chi, and other stuff.

2nd video.. 3.33 Chino struggles to keep the tears away..
And somewhere, There's someone who cares. With a heart of gold, To have and to hold.

Inkblades

http://theindiespiritualist.com/2011/03/17/this-place-is-death-an-interview-with-chino-moreno-of-the-deftones/

Deftones are going back in the studio in the summer. I wish one of these interviewers would ask him about Crosses. They probably don't because none of them have heard of it.

Balthazard

what is crosses , a band with steph , chino and shaun lopez?

Inkblades

Quote from: Balthazard on Mar 20, 2011, 04:17 PM
what is crosses , a band with steph , chino and shaun lopez?

No Steph. Just Chino and Shaun Lopez. Check this thread:

http://www.sharinglungs.com/index.php/topic,16263.0.html

White Wrist

let them...record. i hope that summer story is true...

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

Vesanic

http://www.si.clarin.com/cuento-chino-nuevo-metal_0_450554953.html

Little Argentinian interview of Chino, in Spanish. Nothing really worth the read, from what I've been able to understand.

Vesanic

Nice little interview of Abe, about their upcoming show in Oklahoma

http://swoknews.com/main.asp?SectionID=6&SubSectionID=83&ArticleID=33633

Deftones to have return performance at city's hot spot
SCOTT RAINS

"Diamond Eyes" return to Oklahoma City's Diamond Ballroom when the Deftones hit the capitol's hot spot for a second swing through the state in support of its sixth studio album.

Deftones' drummer Abe Cunningham spoke with The Constitution last week about a range of subjects, from offering the latest news about founding member, Chi Cheng, to sending a hello-via-reporter to Mastodon drummer and friend, Brann Daillor, interviewed a few days later.

Cunningham has fond memories from the band's May 2010 stop at the Diamond Ballroom, considered a high-point to the early leg of last year's tour, he said.

"It was a good night all around," Cunningham said. "I remember last time we were there and somebody pulled up lawn chairs under some trees out back and we had some beers and barbecued."

"I have a lot of fond memories of the Diamond," he said.

The intimate venue sold out for last year's concert. Cunningham said he's happy to return and said performing in the smaller venue offers the band a uniquely close connection with its fans.

"That's what it's all about. We came from the smallest clubs and have been really lucky over the years and had the chance to play all sorts of places," Cunningham said. "Returning to the smaller places really makes you remember what you're there for, where you come from."

The drummer promises a different set list from last year and hints that a lot of the early Deftones songs will be performed with an intensity to match that of their tour openers and friends, Dillinger Escape Plan.

"Those guys ... throw down," Cunningham said. "They're incredibly technical with a lot of energy; it's going to be a great show."

Since its release in early 2010, "Diamond Eyes" has garnered critical lauds and the band has been on the road almost non-stop. Cunningham and the band were on a short break last week before returning to the road. The 38-year-old drummer said the relentless performances have yielded a well-oiled machine created by him, guitarist Stephen Carpenter, singer/guitarist, Chino Moreno, bassist Sergio Vega, and DJ/keyboardist Frank Delgado.

"Actually right now, I was kinda bummed to stop," Cunningham said. "We'd been hitting this really good groove; each night was phenomenal  It's what we do."

The last year saw the Sacramento, Calif.-based Deftones take their show on the road and across the world. Cunningham said there were exciting experiences while playing in the Pacific Rim. He said there is nothing like performing at some of the larger European music festivals where hundreds of thousands of people form a sea of flesh before the stage.

In late 2010, Deftones teamed up for a one-month tour with labelmates, Mastodon, and Alice in Chains, Virgin/EMI, called the "BlackDiamondSkye" tour  a named amalgam of the three bands' latest albums. Cunningham said it was a real blast touring with such disparate and powerful bands and that all three groups are close friends.

Vesanic

Pretty nice interview of Sergio, regarding their upcoming show at the Chilean Lollapalooza festival. He also discusses what they play live, how he feels in the band, etc.

http://www.emol.com/especiales/2011/cultura-espectaculos/lollapalooza/detallenoticias.asp?idnoticia=472707

It's in Spanish, here's a quick translation done by a friend. Needless to say it's not the best one, but you get the global idea of everything:

DEFTONES & LOLLAPALOOZA: "WHOEVER GOES WILL SEE HOW MUCH WE LIKE TO PLAY"

Sergio Vega, actual bassist of the band, plays with the mystery at the time to speak of the third show of the band in Chile and tells what had mean for him to replace Chi Cheng.

"Everything is completely secret, everything. Our e-mails are encrypted, when we speak on the phone, we do it by codes and we don't even mention the name of the songs." assure us from California Sergio Vega, who prepare to perform on his first time in Chile with Deftones though the band count with two more shows in this land.

The musician, who came to the band after the bassist Chi Cheng had an accident which initially left him in a coma, talks to us about the show they'll do in Lollapalooza.

Nevertheless, that's exactly what he does not. Doesn't matter how much we insist on the subject. While he's laughing he tells us that even CIA trained them to keep the secret with them. Still that way he promises us: "The fact that be @ Chile and that is the first international Lollapalooza, will make a real entertain show"

Are you sure you can't say nothing about the show ?

When we did rehearsal, we made the biggest arsenal of songs, to play the most possible, is a thing of the moment. Honestly, this is ALL I can say-

But you can tell us about what they (Deftones) had said of the visits to Chile...

They only had said good things, that they had good times at Chile and that I'll love it. They're really excited to go play on Lollapalooza, say the crowd is really intense and they're really into the music. Is really nice for us to a country in where they speak Spanish, because we all have Latin ancestor. Plus, we're having a great time playing.

Vega came to the band just to support them live, but he finished recording the album Diamond Eyes. "We're friends, so I came to help them to continue with the band, but ¡we're talking about Chi! We can't let that his work wither. Play and enjoy is the best thing we can do with this whole situation, we never lose that of our sight. Diamond Eyes was made really fast and we were so happy.  Then we rehearsal it a lot and we were even more excited. Then the people started to like the album and that means a lot. "

But, you wanted to add something new or were you trying to mix yourself with the band and what they were doing with Chi ?

Luckily, we have a history very similar about the music we like and make. All was happening in phases, we were friends and I already replaced Chi live before, and they (Deftones) are really wide open.

You have said this never was 'Sergio v/s Chi' but 'Sergio and Chi'.

They were clear with that and that helped me to feel comfortable.

Did happen the same with the fans ?

I think there was a lot of people who didn't know my history, but then they understood that I miss Chi too, that I already replaced him, so I got a history with Deftones.

The Chi's situation had been established like a comparison with Cerati's case, Cerati is a musician from Argentina whom had been in coma since 2010.

The truth is that what happened to Chi we haven't see it like a bigger subject. We don't try to connect it to what happened to another people. We just see it as a tragedy of the which the people has to understand they must be carefully while they're driving and use the safety-belt.

Chi is now on a semiconscious state, right ?

Yeah, that means he pass through the stages of the dream but he doesn't give any response, so we don't know how is this experience for him. To know about him, the web-site One Love For Chi is the best place, because his family manages it and they notice us how the healings go. But the process is really slow. He could wake up tomorrow or in many years, we really don't know.

The Sixth Deftones

Vega's situation in Deftones is particular; Although in rigor he form part of the band, Vega hadn't leave his role of replace bassist Chi Cheng, who they (Deftones) prefer consider is absent.
Vega does know, but not for that he alien or strange. "They're so cool that they care that I never feel uncomfortable about the way I came in to the band, they had make me feel the sixth of the band. The one that they are so opened by others after going so much time together, and to have obtained success with what they do, I surprise very much, because it means that they are ready to mix ideas and to yield. It is not anything what you find all the time."

Do you believe that the way in which Deftones plays live has changed since you came?

Not much. The band continues being energetic. I'm having a great time and the last thing that I want to do is to compare. I am happy of that it sounds well and that the people like, but I believe that there are no changes. We listen to the albums and I believe that there is scarcely a couple of things that have been altered.

Do you think that there are differences between the first time that you played with them and now?

it is not drastic at all, but I think that there is a development, specially now that we take a lot of time playing Diamond Eyes. I believe that those who go to the show will see how much we like to play and the desires that we have of being there. That's the most important of the experience of a concert. Doesn't matter the lights or the lasers for me. I think they are cool, but if you have them and the band is not interested in playing ... I prefer that it is upside-down.

Vesanic

Interview of Sergio, from yesterday:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2011/03/interview-sergio-vega-of-the-deftones/

Interview: Sergio Vega (of the Deftones)

By Karina Halle on March 31st, 2011 in CoS Exclusive Features, Hot, Interview

Being in a band is a bit like running your own business and being in a polygamous relationship all at the same time. Not only do you have to weather economic ups and downs, shifts in popular trends, and advances in technology, but you also have to do so while maintaining a relationship with several people, keeping everyone happy, involved, and on the level. It's little wonder that few bands make it through a couple of records without fizzling out or imploding.

For those reasons alone, it is remarkable that a band like the Deftones have not only been able to navigate the ordinarily treacherous waters of the music industry–rising from "Nu Metal" beginnings and creating their own recognizable sound–but have done so while handling personal setbacks and tragedy. For awhile there, lead singer Chino Moreno dealt with drug problems, then bassist Chi Cheng was involved in a car accident that left him in a coma that he still hasn't recovered from. Despite the challenges, the Deftones plowed forward, and their sixth album, last year's Diamond Eyes, received acclaim from both fans and critics last year.

Consequence of Sound had the opportunity to chat with Deftones bassist Sergio Vega, catching him on a rare break between returning from a slew of shows in southeast Asia and heading off to play Lollapalooza Chile.

One of the testaments to the band's staying power is their adaption to new technology. In Vega's case, he is a firm believer of staying connected to the fans in a very "hang out" level, as evidenced by his presence on Twitter and on Facebook.

"For me, I do it because it's like a natural progression from when I was in the hardcore scene," he notes, "and I like that side, going downtown and seeing a bunch of people outside of a park or in front of the venue, and it's kind of like a meeting place for a certain, specific aesthetic. And now what's cool about today is that you don't need to have that physical proximity. People who like similar things can reach out and especially for smaller worlds and sensibilities. I like to have that exchange, and you know, I respond to people, so as long as it's more like hanging out and not 'Oh, what bass strings do you use?'"

The band recently played in Jakarta, Indonesia, an event that was brought together by the fans themselves on various social media networks.

"They had been campaigning for about a year online to get us there. They were all up on our Facebook and Twitter: 'Come to Indonesia'. At first we were like, 'Yeah, OK,' but once it became an actual viable thing that we got to go, then it was amazing. But we had a little bit of insight into how excited people were about it because of social networking and stuff, which really is cool."

They are still winning over new fans, too. The successful Black Diamond Skye tour with Alice in Chains and Mastodon took the Deftones all over the country like a mini-metal festival, giving them the opportunity to not only be heard by people who may not have listened to the band before (or caught their dynamic live show) but also a chance to be with bands who share a similar approach to music.

Vega says, "What was cool about being on a tour like that was just that you feel you're with down-to-earth people, and what I liked about the bill was that it was three bands who were rock bands, but they each had their own specific take, and each band marches to the beat of their own drum. They aren't so concerned about checking out what's going on with the rest of the world and that their cuts are right in time. It was nice to see that, to see three bands doing that on that level in the way that's about creating and connecting with people, just because they enjoy the art. And to me, that type of tour speaks to the thing that I find most important: I don't think the type of music you make is specifically what matters; it's what you do and why you do things. What I thought was cool about that tour was that the principle just came across. All these bands were just kind of mellow and cool. Anybody at any of those venues had a really good chance at just seeing any of these people floating around and hanging out, and I think that that came across, as opposed to certain bills that are based on musical factors (these bands sound really good together)...I'd rather it be based on people's personalities and people's approach to their exchanges with the world."

Their next touring partner is Dillinger Escape Plan, another band known for their insane live shows and ridiculous amount of energy. Having personally caught the Deftones live in 1996 and 2010, I had to ask Vega how the band has been able to keep their shows so enthusiastic and unpredictable.

"I guess it's just a genuine excitement, really. It's not about putting on a show. It's just a natural reaction. We are just, like, 'happy.' Not like with everything in life, but we are so appreciative of the things that have happened for us, and we're grateful to be doing this, and it's also the best thing to be doing in terms of honoring Chi and everything. You know people go out of their way to check you out and see you play and are excited to see us. We don't take it for granted. You put on things, people get psyched, and then you get psyched. It's what reminds me of why I got into music to begin with."

The frantic stage dynamics of Moreno also tend to bring out the phenomenon of his pants slowly slipping down during the set.

Vega laughs at that. "We've both had our bums come out on occasion."

The band wanted to make a "sick-ass record" with Diamond Eyes, and they more than succeeded. It landed on "Best of 2010" lists (including CoS's) and debuted at #6 on the Billboard Charts. For Vega, the reception was a nice surprise, but what really meant something was how the album was able to strike a chord with people, the same chord and intent the band had while making it.

"[Making the album] we all had that attitude of 'we're here, we're going to be present, we're very fortunate to have our health and to be able to play, and there's people that dig us,' and all of these factors brought us into making that record with just this glow. And when we put out the record and people started using the same terminology that we were using while making it, we thought 'wow.' I mean, for me, speaking personally, this is the first time I've been part of something where people are describing it with the same terms that we are using, and we were able to get it all across, that same kind of energy and that same kind of excitement and level of intensity and buoyancy...most people gravitate towards the band's first things. But to have that kind of cool energy with the sixth album and really seventh because you know there is Eros, and it was just a special thing that is not lost on us."

Photo by 13th Witness

Eros is, of course, the album that was going to be released in 2008 but was shelved indefinitely out of respect for Cheng. (His accident happened before it was to be released.) Fans wonder if the album will ever see the light of day, but Vega tells me it's just a matter of timing.

"It's waiting for the right moment," he says. "I think right now it's unfairly attached to the incident with Chi. It's just circumstantial. It's not about that. I think that when there is a time where it can be seen as a piece for itself, then it will make more sense to put it out. And even better yet, if there's a chance that Chi could somehow be a part of it in some capacity at all, that would just be 100 times better."

In the meantime, support for Cheng comes in through the website www.oneloveforchi.com (which was started by a fan to keep people updated on his condition) and recently through guitarist Stephen Carpenter's Sol Invicto project, which has released official remixes of "Diamond Eyes" and "You've Seen the Butcher", with all proceeds going to Cheng.

"It's kind of cool in all consideration and in all purposes, because he's still in the band," says Vega. "I mean, he's still alive, he's just...out. And we never internally refer to him as not being in the band. It was really cool when we were making Diamond Eyes that Chi would keep coming up and stuff. His presence was so much a part of the record. We'd be hanging out, and they'd be talking about their life, and it would always be like, 'Oh, Chi did this, and then we all did this' and always in the coolest way. It speaks of their character that they were able to handle that while embracing me, while talking about Chi, making a new record and doing all these things in a really cool way."

Though the band is still busy touring on behalf of Diamond Eyes, they are also releasing a vinyl album aptly entitled Covers for Record Store Day. (Vega's favorite cover is their take on Japan's "Ghosts".) And hopefully, somewhere along the line, they'll start working on a new album. Though they don't really write on the road, the creative wheels are always turning.

"What we've been doing is almost like leading up to writing," says Vega. "Sometimes when we are soundchecking we'll start fooling around as opposed to playing songs. It's kind of like that. It's starting to creep in where a couple of times we've all come together and jammed on something. But it hasn't been on that level where we have to remember it. I think when Diamond Eyes came together it was all that stuff that was written in the moment, of the moment. We share each other's ideas all the time, like a few of us have mobile studios, so we do email each other ideas."

Finally, I have to ask Vega what he thinks is the secret to the Deftones' longevity and constant presence in the music scene.

"I feel like certain bands, after a while, kind of start reflecting on themselves too much where they're just like, 'Oh, we're great and here it is,' and after they lose their sense of it," Vega starts. "They start calculating how much they have to make to catch up, and then they start doing drastic sound changes that don't seem like it's coming from the heart. What I like about this group is that every day they are finding new music and buying records, and they're still just fans of music and new experiences. And this is constantly washing through them. They have this need for excitement, and it's kind of like they all, and myself included, share this quality of just wanting a feel of something fresh and something cool and new. We have these huge appetites for bands and checking them out and running around and turning that into input. We haven't cut ourselves off and made a wall around our aesthetic. We wake up. We have fun. I really like chasing that feeling. If it feels good, then you don't need to think about it."

from_musings

Quote from: Vesanic
So I'm in the staff of the Chilean Deftones fans community and they just got the OK to interview them before their set at the Lollapalooza festival on April 2nd. They want me to come up with a couple of questions. I can do it but if some of you guys want to ask a specific question, here's your chance.

I'll let you know when the interview is done.

so.. how did it go?

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: Vesanic on Apr 12, 2011, 11:44 AM
ESP Guitars: Stephen Carpenter (Deftones) Interview 2011
He's not going back. lol  And it sounds (again) like Chi's tragedy has reall y inspired this band to appreciate the good times and have fun while they can. Good to hear that from Stephen who is usually pretty sarcastic about everything. Made my day.
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

Vesanic

Interview of Chino and Sen Dog from Cypress Hill for Rock&Pop, Argentinian radio. A couple of days ago.

Entrevista de Deftones y Cypres Hill_Parte 1

Entrevista de Deftones y Cypres Hill_Parte 2

Quote from: Adrenaline951 on Apr 12, 2011, 09:50 PMUpdates???

Nope