Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shine down unshy

Quote from: dzake on Oct 11, 2012, 04:03 PM
Haha, now this was pretty random.

Chino & wife on a Finnish - Wait for it - Cooking show. Yes, Sir.

(It's about a chef who visits a few better-known Finns around the world to do some cooking with them in each episode. This one was with Alexi Laiho of the band Children of Bodom, shot in LA. I knew he's friends with the Morenos, but it was still quite surprising to see them actually being Alexi's guests.)

Here's the link to the episode, if it can be viewed outside Finland:

http://www.katsomo.fi/?progId=145973

(They're on from 00:37:35)

Random indeed.  "herbage"

Balthazard

http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/10/deftones-joined-by-gabe-cheng-on-stage-in-san-francisco/

They dont say much , it isnt really an interview but there is a video with Chi`s son playing bass with them

normsteez

Last Night
Deftones Inspire Sweaty Mayhem at the Warfield, 10/10/12
By Alee Karim

Deftones
Scars on Broadway
Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2012
The Warfield

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/2012/10/deftones_at_the_warfield_10_10_12_san_francisco.php

Better than: Nü-metal

Deftones don't get enough credit. They created a unique brand of hybrid metal that survived the '90s and '00s without hopping on the reunion train. They weathered the rise and fall of nü-metal without the vouchsafe of the pop world, and managed to remain relevant to kids after everyone got tired of guitar-driven rock. That and not hating the Internet will earn you a career in this business, kids.

After a middling period creatively, Deftones dropped 2010's Diamond Eyes, not only their best effort in years but one of the most sonically adventurous metal albums of that year and most of the next. Recorded over a mere six months after an accident left bassist Chi Cheng in a coma (from which he's yet to fully recover, unfortunately), the album is a clearing of the air and a kick in the ass to a band that had lost some attack for the sake of texture. Perhaps it was the infinite gaze of mortality, but 2010 was the year this Sacramento outfit got its mojo back.

Presently they're touring in advance of upcoming record, Koi No Yokan, with System of a Down alums Scars on Broadway (that name...) as support after a stint earlier this year with System themselves. Scars hit the Warfield's stage last night at exactly 8 p.m., as the first trickle of rain began to fall outside. SoaD mastermind Daron Malakian sold the crowd pretty quick on Scars' System-esque bombast. It was deserved as well. Their brand of drama-inflected weirdo anthem rock sits very close to SoaD, with the metal injection replaced by hard rock. The band was solid, if a little anachronistic, in its rock star posturing, sporting whipping curly hairdos and a bank of no fewer than four keyboards. But when a band sits in its sound this well, it deflects any surface criticism. These guys were TIGHT, almost sociopathically so.

The general admission pit at the Warfield was an unceasing, throbbing mass throughout Deftones' greatest hits-laden set. After a churning, atmospheric opener, the band launched into "Feiteceria" and there began a madness that never quite abated. We got no deep cuts, and only a handful of new material. The crowd lapped it up, eagerly helping Chino Moreno carry some particularly challenging extended falsettos. Early on, enthusiasm reached a boiling point for a suite of Around the Fur-era material and didn't significantly wane through the show's 90-minute running time. Seriously, this was a deeply exhausting performance, churning up sweat worthy of a hardcore show.

The set was a study in Deftones' strengths, most notably anthemic chargers like "Engine No. 9" and "Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)" tempered with dynamic yet perverse psuedo-ballads like "Digital Bath" and "Hexagram." It's surprising how diverse Deftones have sounded over the course of their career, and how that diversity has strengthened instead of fractured their audience. Their migration from the aggressive metallic lacerations of their debut to the twisted, soaring pop band they are today (albeit with elephantine guitars) is kind of a neat hat trick from an outsider's standpoint. And yet it all seems of the same cloth, especially when viewed onstage last night. Closing with a suite from debut Adrenaline is the aural Red Bull that gives the audience here an implausible second wind. This included truculent closer "Seven Words" and a rendition of "Root," featuring hospitalized bassist Cheng's son, Gabriel.

All exited the Warfield sweaty and happy. Thankfully, it hadn't rained.
May 28, 2000 HFSTIVAL
May 4, 2003 9:30 Club
Oct. 20, 2004 9:30 Club
March 2, 2006 9:30 Club
Dec. 4, 2006 9:30 Club
June 4, 2007 9:30 Club
September 2, 2010 Norva
May 15, 2011 Sonar
May 16, 2011 Sonar
October 26, 2012 Rams Head Live

http://normsteez.tumblr.com/

Penicks

buddyboy101

Quote from: Penicks on Oct 13, 2012, 10:08 PM
hexagram

pseudo ballad

what the hell

it's a stretch, but i can see it.  esp "perverse."

anyways, cool to see an outsider "get it"

luisch

sleve jagson ‏@violentxwaves
I bought a Deftones cassette tape. Comes with digital download of the new album on release d @ Showbox SoDo

Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

Shadow46/2

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

shoop

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/deftones-turn-it-up-to-11-in-vancouver-1.996220
"Now something old," Moreno announced at the song's end, launching into the grinding "Do You Believe" and "Engine No. 9,"
They didn't play "Do You Believe" did they?? Dude must have gotten it confused with Fireal. Much respect to Chino for being "sick as a dog" and still giving it his all

Vesanic

No. They always play Fireal before Engine No. 9, I guess he's confusing them. Way to go, press. Also, Kou No Yokan, lolz.

shoop

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: shoop on Oct 15, 2012, 11:34 PM
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/deftones-turn-it-up-to-11-in-vancouver-1.996220
"Now something old," Moreno announced at the song's end, launching into the grinding "Do You Believe" and "Engine No. 9,"
They didn't play "Do You Believe" did they?? Dude must have gotten it confused with Fireal. Much respect to Chino for being "sick as a dog" and still giving it his all
Haha 'funny the crowd use to steal Chinos clothes now they give him clothes,or is just polite Canadians?

pony_01

http://www.pitch.com/wayward/archives/2012/10/18/chino-moreno-on-the-next-phase-of-the-deftones-show-saturday-at-voodoo-lounge

Chino Moreno on the next phase of the Deftones; show Saturday at Voodoo Lounge

When the Deftones last came through Kansas City, the alterna-heavy quintet was in the process of rebounding from the long-term loss of original bass player Chi Cheng, a series of divorces, and a sluggish writing process that had created no small measure of internal friction. The situation had begun to improve in 2008, when work commenced on what was to be the band's sixth album, Eros (now shelved for a future release date that's as yet TBD), but then Cheng was severely injured in a car accident. Bassist Sergio Vega, who's filling in on a semi-permanent basis as Cheng remains in a semi-conscious state, checked in with The Pitch in 2011 to talk about the band's uplifted mood and improved creative process. Still riding the same wave of smoother productivity and mended relations, the band returns to KC for a show at the Voodoo Lounge this Saturday in advance of its new album, Koi No Yokan, its second album with Vega. We spoke with frontman Chino Moreno days before the band set out on tour.
The Pitch: Your sons are teenagers now. How much has your experience as a parent surfaced in your lyrics, and how did your lyrical approach this time compare to previous albums?

Chino Moreno: I still take pretty much the same approach, where the music is basically the inspiration. I don't really go in with a preconeived idea of who or what I'm going to write about. The music's always made first, so the emotions get struck up from listening to the music. Usually I come up with melodies and the cadence of how I'm going to sing first. Some words will pop up, and then I'll build around those words. It's usually not 'til I'm done that I sit back and I look at it and say 'wow, so this is what I was thinking.' It's a really odd way of writing, I guess, but I've never written any other way. As far as letting my personal life into the lyrics, I know it seeps through; those phrases that pop out usually come to me for a reason, so there is personal stuff in there, but not for every song. Some of the songs are sort of fantasy, which I really like. I don't always feel like I need to put that stuff into the music. A lot of the time, it just comes through on its own. So later, like with the Eros stuff, I listen to it a few years later and it totally takes me back to exactly to that time in my life. You can smell it.

This is your second album with Sergio. What does he bring to the writing?

Sergio's usually the first dude standing there with his bass in his hand. If one dude's up there ready to play, the next dude's going to be up there following suit, and it creates this environment where everybody wants to be like 'yo, check this out' and 'oh, okay, check this out.' It's like being influenced by the guys in your own band. Everybody gets into this big... k-hole of creativity. [Laughs.] And Sergio's a big part of that. If it wasn't for him, I don't know if we would have carried on. When he came in, it felt very natural. He was a good friend of ours before any of this, so it's not like it was some stranger coming in who was trying to fill Chi's shoes.

What did Sergio's old band Quicksand mean to you?

We're all fans of stuff he's done in the past. Quicksand, to me, has always been one of the great bands that merged together those things that I love in music so much: the rhythms and the groove of hardcore or post-rock or post-punk or heavy metal or whatever you wanna call it with great melodies and great, thoughtful lyrics. Not just screaming and ranting about how pissed off they were. Marrying those things together hasn't been done enough in rock music since then. I'm still attracted to music like that.

You've been into bands like the Cure for a long time. When you play heavy, angsty music for as long as you have, how do you avoid getting burned out playing it live?

Although I grew up listening to new wave, I also fuckin' love Pantera. It's never been like where I'm this guy that doesn't like heavy music and got stuck in a heavy metal band. And our music is maybe 75 percent heavy. It never feels full-force. I honestly feel like there's enough dynamics in our music where it goes through a different a range of moods and emotions. It's not just this aggro thing that starts on 10 and stays on 10 the whole time. A lot of that is maybe the influence of stuff I grew up listening to coming into this group that helps that dynamic. But it feels pretty good for me. I don't really feel burned out. I do sit and listen to quieter music when I get offstage. I listen to a lot of smooth jazz stuff. But it's all about balance.

How have you dealt with it when your sons go through angsty periods?

I had to learn this at an older age — I wish I'd learned this earlier in life — if you follow-through with things, it's a lot easier. [Laughs.] It's all about being accountable. Once I started doing that, my life started getting better in all aspects. One of my sons is 18 years old, so he's on his old now. My 15-year old who lives with me, along with my 8-year old daughter, is exactly like me when I was 15 years old. He's way into music and doesn't care about school that much. But he knows he has to go. I have to be way consistent. It's not like I can say "hey, do your homework" and go in the other room and watch TV. He probably thinks I'm the most strict parent ever — and I am strict, but I think he's going to know things that it took me 'til I was fuckin' thirty-something years old to learn. Things I didn't learn that I'm trying to pass onto him.

For you, writing music is homework.

Oh definitely.

Your lengthy working process came to a head between you and the rest of the band and producer Bob Ezrin when you were making 2006's Saturday Night Wrist.

It totally did. Althought a lot of it was me, I also had a lot of lack of confidence. I was getting record company people telling me "Hey, you need to go and work with this person and this person" and "We need some radio songs." Around the millenium, we started to get pressure from the record label. So I got caught in this thing where I started second-guessing myself, which made it hard for me to finish a song. I honestly thing Bob was just doing his job. It wasn't really his fault. Looking back, we were very dysfunctional at the time.

pony_01

pony_01

and this

http://digboston.com/listen/2012/10/interview-abe-cunningham-of-deftones/

INTERVIEW: ABE CUNNINGHAM OF DEFTONES
Alt-metal old schoolers Deftones are at their best when they're mesmerizing with melodic, dreamy art rock, as on "Sextape" from 2010's Diamond Eyes.

But drummer Abe Cunningham says Boston's Bad Rabbits not only nailed the song in a 2011 cover (released as a free download), they may even do it better.

"They slayed that song," Cunningham tells DigBoston.
"They smoked us. They're really good. They have, like, talent."

Cunningham said the two genre-bending bands, while hailing from opposite coasts (Deftones are from Sacramento), struck up a friendship after playing some dates together, and recently rekindled the relationship at a festival in Bangor this summer. Deftones are back with a new album, Koi No Yokan, which drops next month. The first tracks released, "Leathers" and "Tempest," are vintage Deftones – marked by crashing cymbals, power-packed metallic riffs, dramatic highs and lows and emotional crooning from vocalist Chino Moreno.

"It's all over the place, yet all reigned in too," Cunningham explains. "I'm stoked about it. This is what we do."

They just wrapped a sold-out U.S. tour with System of a Down and now hit the road with SOAD guitarist/vocalist Daron Malakian's side project, Scars on Broadway. Still reeling from the tragic loss of bassist Chi Cheng (he's been in a coma since a 2008 car wreck), the influential band has pressed on with Quicksand bassist Sergio Vega, continuing their reign as kings of the post-hardcore/alt-metal underworld.

"You see a lot of bands that have come and gone," Cunningham says. "We've been very fortunate to do what we do. It's something pretty special."

"We have a respect for it that we didn't always have before, when we were young. You grow up a bit and realize everything can change in the blink of an eye."

normsteez

Interview with Chino - 98 Rock Baltimore

The interviewer is kind of a tool but nonetheless here it is:

http://98online.com/media#gallery/594/audio/0
May 28, 2000 HFSTIVAL
May 4, 2003 9:30 Club
Oct. 20, 2004 9:30 Club
March 2, 2006 9:30 Club
Dec. 4, 2006 9:30 Club
June 4, 2007 9:30 Club
September 2, 2010 Norva
May 15, 2011 Sonar
May 16, 2011 Sonar
October 26, 2012 Rams Head Live

http://normsteez.tumblr.com/

chino17

On the last instagram pictures we can see chino loose his hair on the back....
hope we never do meet again !