Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

punkflop01

Vesanic

black coffee

N0S3BLEED976

Does anyone have the newest Kerrang! issue with the review of Koi No Yokan and do me a favor and scan/photograph the article?

alan1o

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Nov 07, 2012, 06:36 PM
Does anyone have the newest Kerrang! issue with the review of Koi No Yokan and do me a favor and scan/photograph the article?

Yeah i'd like to read this.

closertothelung

Here are the reviews from this week's issues of Kerrang! and NME (pictures rather than scans, I'm afraid--didn't have the money on me to buy three magazines at once). I've also typed them out for anyone that may prefer to read them that way, and stuck them under spoilers so it doesn't clutter the thread so much.  Also picked up a copy of this month's Rocksound, and will scan in the article and review in that later tonight (along with the strange "art" printed opposite the review).

Kerrang!
[deleted the image since it was so shitty]

[spoiler]KKKKK - ALT. METAL KINGS REIGN SUPREME, AS CHALLENGING AND CREATIVE AS EVER

Sex, love and the end of the world. Deftones don't often lend themselves to simple summation, but, on Koi No Yokan, that might be as close as any. Apparently informing the threads, hints and echoes that pepper its 51 minutes and 43 seconds is the impending apocalypse – as prophesied in Mayan lore, due December 21. There's also the fact that Chino Moreno is loved up again, having married for the third time in March earlier this year. But threads , hints and echoes is all they offer, becayse Chino has never been the most literal lyricist; even if a line such as 'Shed your casing, show your lines and shapes, wear your insides on the outside' in lead single Leathers offers just enough detail, leaving the rest to the imagination. Musically, now seven albums deep into their ever-evolving recorded adventures, Deftones still keep uoi guessing, too; from track to track and chorus to verse, they switch up styles, sounds and accents.

From first play, the gargantuan plundering of opener Swerve City is a mighty beast that goes straight into the pantheon of heavy 'tones classics. But little else here is so obvious. Because much like its closest sonic relation, the lesser-loved – but unfairly so – Saturday Night Wrist, this is a shape-shifting teaser of a record that's layered, detailed and difficult at first. It's a true band effort, though. You can hear the rhythmic powerhouse duo of Sergio Vega and Abe Cunningham go head-to-head all over the growling thrust and rattle of Poltergeist. Turntablist and effects whizz Frank Delgado surpasses virtually anything he's ever done in the band with the blissed-out synths and glacial, hypnotic textures of Entombed.

Elsewhere, Chino does the customary Chino thing with relish, weaving in and out of dreamy, breathy passages to burst into banshee shrieks, while Stephen Carpenter strikes a balance between centre stage cranium-shattering riffs and atmospheric picking patterns. Often those contrasts and frictions snuggle up to one another within a single song, as on late album highlight Goon Squad, and it's in that blend of ugliness, beauty, brute force and restraint that Koi No Yokan excels.

Incredibly, the Deftones have been doing it now for 17 years. In the meantime, a lot has happened – individually, collectively and within the music industry – yet they still deliver their challenging music with effortless ease. That's why they remain without peer, in a universe of their own, constantly seeking out new sounds and finding them; confounding and captivating in equal measure. If the Mayans are right and the world does end sometime very soon, at least Koi No Yokan is the perfect soundtrack.

DOWNLOAD: Swerve City, Entombed, Goon Squad.

THE INSIDER – TALES FROM THE STUDIO...

Why did you settle on Koi No Yokan as the title?
"It's a Japanese term that roughly means 'love at first sight', but I like that it doesn't properly translate into English. That idea of love at first sight is a very strong sentiment, and this is a batch of strong songs that we feel passionately about, and this was the only title we even considered.

Were there any creative tensions in regard to the wide variety of songs on the record?
"No, there really weren't. Sometimes tension can bring great results, and White Pony was a record written like that, but everybody was pretty much on the same page with this record. Chi's accident really brought us closer together as friends, and I think that has allowed everyone to feel more comfortable being themselves, and bringing their own ideas to the table."

So how did the apocalypse song Tempest come about?
"Thing is, we never write concepts, because it never works for us, but that song is the one time we managed to pull it off. I was really inspired by the music to write something that kind of touches on the whole 2012 Mayan prophecy, end of the world thing. We sit and talk about that all the time – do I believe the world will be ending in a few weeks No, of course not, but it's fun to talk about, and it worked really well in this song."
[/spoiler]

NME

[spoiler]When Robert Smith died, the remaining members of The Cure did the only thing they could – detuned their instruments, employed a screaming banshee as their frontman and called themselves Deftones. OK, that never happened. But listening to the band the Sacramento quintet have evolved into since forming in 1988, it's not such a crazy idea, such is their fondness for new wave atmos, disarming melodies and sadistic, low-slung riffs. Their seventh album 'Koi No Yokan' – named after a Japanese proverb meaning "promise of love" – comes 17 years after the powering assault of their debut, 'Adrenaline'. It sees them rediscover the venomous snarl of their early years after 2010's slightly limp 'Diamond Eyes', which the band made as they struggled to come to terms with a car accident that left bassist Chi Cheng in a coma. The reflection and experimentation of that record remains, but they sound more bloodthirsty this time around.

From the start, Deftones' songwriting nous is obvious on 'Koi No Yokan', even if it isn't the return to the melancholic sound or sublime character of their 2000 masterpiece 'White Pony' that people have been touting it as. Opener 'Swerve City' is every bit the dangerous change of direction its title suggets, freewheeling between sludgy mounds of guitar and airy melodies while singer Chino Moreno's vocals writhe at its centre. The 39-year-old's lyrics remain crucial to Deftones, providing lightness in contrast to the blunt force trauma of Stephen Carpenter's dark guitar shreds. "Time to let everything inside show", he implores on 'Leathers', the album's thundering centrepiece. "Wear your insides on your outsides". So guttural are his screams, you sometimes wonder if he might be about to follow his advice literally.

It's one of the band's most consistent listens. No song reaches the sledgehammer brutality of 2003 tune 'When Girls Telephone Boys' or the ghostly tenderness of 2010's 'Sextape', but they settle into a mid-paced groove early on that allows their sumptuous textures to breathe. By the time the chug of 'Gauze' stomps into view destroying everything in its past like a guitar-limbed Godzilla, you'll be utterly transfixed.

A good measure of Deftones' importance beyond the world of metal in 2012 is that some of the biggest bands in the world consider them the blueprint of how a band should evolve. Muse snuck a cover of their 1997 track 'Headup' into one of their European arena shows a few weeks back, while Biffy Clyro have modelled their career progression on the way Deftones grew more expansive with each record. Going on 'Koi No Yokan' it's easy to see why they're so revered, even as they enter their third decade. It's a shotgun blast of cranked guitars, bruising hardcore and canyon-sized choruses, and it's mesmerising. [8]

BEST TRACK: 'Romantic Dreams', 'Leathers', 'Graphic Nature'[/spoiler]

Vesanic

How Kerrang! sucks Deftones' dicks will always amaze me.

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: Vesanic on Nov 08, 2012, 06:24 PM
How Kerrang! sucks Deftones' dicks will always amaze me.

I think it's cool that they appreciate them.

Inkblades

Inkblades

This album is going to be a critical darling.

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: Inkblades on Nov 08, 2012, 07:01 PM
This album is going to be a critical darling.

It already is, I think.   ;)

slyartwork

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Nov 02, 2012, 04:33 PM
Quote from: black coffee on Nov 02, 2012, 03:40 PM
http://uploaded.net/file/jdn0nhmq

scans from German magazine Visions. As a subscriber I got the Converge cover, not the Deftones one.

Thanks, but can't you just upload it to mediafire? I'm struggling with uploaded at the moment

I missed these, could you indeed re-up these to mediafire please??
DUTCH DEFTONES FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/dutchdeftones

DUTCH DEFTONES TUMBLR: http://dutchdeftones.tumblr.com

ARTWORK SITE: www.slyartwork.com

beansandcornbread

cesar421

Vesanic, which album you much like. Koi no yokan or Diamond Eyes?