Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy_McNulty

Just to be clear, Chino doesn't hate s/t...

Is there something in Deftones' career for which you have regretted doing or not doing?

I try not to regret anything. We definitely made some great and some weird decisions in our career but this stuff got us where we are now. I think that the bad decisions and the bad experiences we have faced all these years are in the same time a learning experience. There are some songs, for example from our self-titled album, that I'm feeling disconnected to them. I can't say that I am feeling embarrassed for them or that I have regretted recording them, but I can't really hear them because they remind me a specific period of my life.

LG95

Bought Kerrang this morning. Really lovely eight-page feature on them, talking to them about their history as a band, highs and lows, and the new record. I'll try and get it up later if nobody else does.

It does confirm that the video shoot was for Prayers/Triangles by the way.
I could float here forever

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: LG95 on Mar 23, 2016, 12:26 PM
Bought Kerrang this morning. Really lovely eight-page feature on them, talking to them about their history as a band, highs and lows, and the new record. I'll try and get it up later if nobody else does.

Yes please!

beaverwithfishyshoes

Quote from: LG95 on Mar 23, 2016, 12:26 PM
eight-page feature talking to them about their history as a band, highs and lows, and the new record.

is it like the eight-page feature the last time?

from_musings

did they say anything at all about crest? deluxe version? b-side? i-tunes bonus? what about the diamond eyes outtake? B-side rarities II?

LG95

Penicks

good interview, cheers, good to see some self-titled love from the band

Moz

Lucky_Me

Thank you for posting this interview! :)

I'll see whether I can buy a copy, though. I want those pics, haha.
Eccentricity is but a sophisticated form of insanity.

ANattyRat

That was an awesome read, further clarification on Stef's comments, and it's cool how Hearts/Wires ended up being one of the songs he likes the most. I guess he makes a good point about how they make music for themselves. We might love, hate or somewhere in-between their albums, but if the music they're making is what they're all happy playing, that's probably the reason for the longevity of the band.

beaverwithfishyshoes

LG95

Quote from: beaverwithfishyshoes on Mar 23, 2016, 03:51 PM
S/T had songwriters? wait wut
The label put Chino with a few songwriters at some point in the process of making Saturday Night Wrist, not the S/T. He's definitely mentioned it before.

King Leer

its really frustrating to still read all of the negativity that S/T and SNW gets from Chino... while i do understand they're not your favorites  they're still part of the catalog and maybe they're the reason that some fans got into deftones in the first place. while i do understand the whole dark days thingy he must at least consider to play more songs out of those two albums it's long overdue.

Moz

I said it before, Chino is not telling you off for liking S/T and SNW. He probably knows it has tons of good songs. But music is one of the strongest ways to relive prior periods in your life, now imagine that multiplied by a thousand if you were the one actually making that music instead of listening to a record. He probably has constant flashbacks of his divorce, his drug use and tensions within the band when listening to those records. It's very hard to revisit music that remind you of a bad place in your life, I think we can all relate to that.

beaverwithfishyshoes

Quote from: King Leer on Mar 23, 2016, 04:09 PM
its really frustrating to still read all of the negativity that S/T and SNW gets from Chino... while i do understand they're not your favorites  they're still part of the catalog and maybe they're the reason that some fans got into deftones in the first place. while i do understand the whole dark days thingy he must at least consider to play more songs out of those two albums it's long overdue.

i dont think its dark at all. s/t reminds me of summer... (not my own summer...)

hockball26

Nice interview.  Good shit.  Love this little line... "Deftones won the battle - they've enjoyed sustained critical and commercial success far longer than any other band of their g-g-generation".

mono

Cool to see ABE is the "collector" of the band, haha.
Thanks for sharing, amazing!

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: King Leer on Mar 23, 2016, 04:09 PM
its really frustrating to still read all of the negativity that S/T and SNW gets from Chino...

He called Anniversary Of An Uninteresting Event "probably his favourite Deftones song" and said he is proud of their self-titled album. Not good enough?

from_musings

3 new things i haven't read/heard before:

bqad's working title was "dreamboat"

chino is proud of s/t

chino's favourite deftones song of all time is "anniversary"

thanks for posting.