Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StaminaDaddy

they do a lot of press, definitely a major label band

Vesanic

StaminaDaddy

beaverwithfishyshoes

so did this tat on my penis. yall dig?

dawg

Quote from: defsteve on Mar 29, 2016, 09:08 AM

for all my german speaking Deftones fans... here is the Visions feature!
Might scan the pages tomorrow!
Too lazy to translate :)

http://imgur.com/a/JWsli

slyartwork

DUTCH DEFTONES FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/dutchdeftones

DUTCH DEFTONES TUMBLR: http://dutchdeftones.tumblr.com

ARTWORK SITE: www.slyartwork.com

Penicks

Inkblades

Classic.

kleptoned

The road to the release of Deftones' eighth full-length album "Gore" has been a rocky one as far as the press is concerned. There were missed release dates thanks to issues with mixing. Then the details for the album were leaked months in advance thanks to a journalist's screencap, forcing the band to readjust their rollout strategy. And of course, there was the elephant in the room: the negative comments guitarist Stephen Carpenter made about his initial lack of interest in taking part in the writing sessions.

A solid listen to "Gore" is all it takes to assure you that Carpenter did indeed show up on the effort. His crushing input populates a number of the included songs, and not just here and there. He may be somewhat underutilized to a small degree, but he certainly makes his presence felt. What stands out most about "Gore" though isn't his aggression or frontman Chino Moreno's melancholic shades of new wave and sparkling alt rock. No, it's the spacious room to breathe and fine attention paid to the smaller details in each song.

For "Gore" the band decided to write at their own pace, getting together numerous times over the period of a few months to put the effort together. You can tell there was no looming deadline or clock ticking on studio time. Sure they may have traded some parts back and forth via a Dropbox or the like, but refreshingly you can feel that these songs were worked on in a room together. It's this unencumbered style of songwriting and freedom to analyze and refine things over time that makes up the connective tissue of this release.

Because on "Gore" the Deftones feel more like an actual band than they have in years. A scrappier, almost happier version of themselves, flush with gnarled guitars, emotional outbursts and intricate details. No one element or idea pervades the album. It's a diverse collection of songs, that often at their core, sound like a mutated strain of 90's space rock that somehow got mixed up with chunky modern metal.

There's gnawing guitar parts, big looming riffs, a deeper oomph thanks to Sergio Vega's utilization of a Bass VI and some understated—yet no less crucial—work by drummer Abe Cunningham and sampler/programmer Frank Delgado. Indeed it's the little things that shine brightest this time out, be it the hushed drumming techniques Cunningham opens "Hearts/Wires" with, the guitar squeals that pop up in "Xenon" or Delgado's ever jittering ambiance regularly hovering just out of reach.

There's even times, such as on album highlight "Rubicon", where the band can feel like a busier, more embittered version of Failure. It's all Deftones to be sure, but more confident and substantial. Thanks to the wealth of organic interplay, it doesn't feel Frankensteined together like so many other albums these days.

So much of "Gore" has a nervous pulsing energy. Be it spacey and majestic or gleefully destructive, the band have delivered a scratchy guitar-filled opus that captures the better traits of their past few albums and adds a humbling amount of gravity and excitement. They're trying out new things and the results are interesting and heady. From obtuse ethereal riffs to Vega's drifting bass on "Phantom Bride" sounding like he took cliff notes from Glassjaw's "Coloring Book".

That track in particular also features a soaring guest appearance from Alice In Chains' Jerry Cantrell, who emerges mid-song, cutting through the ethereal haze with some tastefully soulful licks that could have sprung out of the fingers of Satriani or Vai. What's interesting in particular about his cameo isn't just the sense of levity and contrast it brings to the track. It's that it almost goes to war against Carpenter's sinister chug that comes like an approaching thunderstorm near the end.

As with any Deftones release, "Gore" isn't an album that you'll easily digest. It's something you'll likely be dissecting and finding new puzzle pieces for with each listen for weeks to come. A brave display of just how far this band have come since their nu metal days and definitive proof that the creative flame they share is still burning bright.  Wookubus -The Prp

Jimmy_McNulty

http://www.zona-zero.net/RockZone/16/04

Interview with Frank. Page 28. I could translate the text, but i am too lazy... hahaha. Perhaps most interesting part is about Eros, although he doesn't say anything new, the record is incomplete.

Brice

Penicks

damn, that lay-out is straight out of 2001

tarkil

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Vesanic

Quote from: Brice on Apr 01, 2016, 04:38 PM

Essentially (interview dates Feb 1) :

-They love the Trianon
-Chino made the album tracklist off the demos before going in studio instead of puzzling them out at the end, so that's a whole a new approach. He tried to tell an abstract story through the album
-Says Martin L. Gore has nothing to do with the album title
-Deftones are associated to metal but "are we metal?"
-Jerry sent a solo back to Chino a couple of hours after he heard Phantom Bride demo. Solo has "psychedelic side at the end"
-About producers Matt and Nick, Matt was "kind of the sound engineer for Nick on KNY", and says they worked on Gore with him instead because they wanted to change, also the organization they wanted couldn't work out with Nick's schedule, and "We don't want a producer to write music with us. We just need someone to make sure we stay focused and organized, which Nick taught us"
-Chino plays guitar on every track, except Doomed User
-(L)MIRL has weird artsy lyrics, means Let's Meet In Real Life obvs. Inspires Chino an escaping feel
-About Eros, "Same as I first said, it'll come out one day, but it's not the right time. It was never finalized. If I'm correct, only four songs were. Fans often bring it up to me and I get it: these songs exist. I know them so they're more curious than me. But honestly now that Chi is gone, going back to that time is a complete nightmare. It was a weird time in our career. It's not my favorite album, I really feel Diamond Eyes tops it by a long a shot."
"I get the juridical aspect of WMG taking "Smile" off my YT account, but man, it's still our song. We composed it, that's all I'll say. Luckily fans had the time to save it and spread it. I like the symbol of that song."
-If I'm reading this well, Terry Date mixed the album. He added touches to a few tracks in between the Paris events and now, although the album was ready prior to the tour
-Chino's least favorite album is Adrenaline mainly for its production, back in the day he was jealous of the prod on Korn's first two LPs which Adrenaline got sandwiched in
-He doesn't really work in studio with other members on his side projets. Crosses and Palms both have an upcoming release, Palms will sound heavier and should please ISIS fans a little more
-Politics, he says he'll never use music to talk about it or try to change the world, people tell him to but he doesn't think he should mix them, he has opinions but isn't loud about it and isn't a political person. Hopes Donald Trump doesn't get elected

ANattyRat

Quote from: MrVesanique on Apr 02, 2016, 03:44 AM
Quote from: Brice on Apr 01, 2016, 04:38 PM

Essentially (interview dates Feb 1) :

Thanks, man, lots of cool things said. So it was Matt and Terry? Interesting. Unless when they mentioned not being happy with Matt's mix, they decided to Terry? I don't know.

Brice

sooniletugo

"Chino plays guitar on every track, except Doomed User"

I've been wondering about that. Same deal as KNY then.

Reichward

Quote from: MrVesanique on Apr 02, 2016, 03:44 AM-If I'm reading this well, Terry Date mixed the album. He added touches to a few tracks in between the Paris events and now, although the album was ready prior to the tour

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61cFQI7z4QL._SL1200_.jpg

"Mixed by Matt Hyde"

I thought they abandoned the Terry Date mix and went back with Matt Hyde, and did the mix back from scratch.

Vesanic

Yeah but I think they were referring to maybe some other chair of the staff, not the actual main producer one. The termination on that part is pretty vague actually, I wasn't too sure. It's made pretty clear that Terry took care of the title track though.