Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Panic Attacks?

Started by There Will Be Blood, Jun 07, 2010, 03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Variable

The paranoia people often get from smoking pot might not be the best for someone having panic attacks.

wax

Quote from: Variable on Jun 07, 2010, 09:38 PM
The paranoia people often get from smoking pot might not be the best for someone having panic attacks.

right. ok then....

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Quote from: wax on Jun 07, 2010, 09:44 PM

right. ok then....

Worst solution ever.

wax

Quote from: Necrocetaceanbeastiality on Jun 07, 2010, 10:02 PM
Quote from: wax on Jun 07, 2010, 09:44 PM

right. ok then....

Worst solution ever.

of course. what was i thinking?

ToneDef

I had these once for like a year straight. The first one was on a plane back from a holiday in the US. I just sat there, thinking to myself that I'm in this plane in the air and no matter what, I can't get off even if I wanted to.  I started to get a fast heart rate, sweating and shit. Nasty. But eventually it went.

The feeling of an anxiety attack is the worst ever. Really feels like you're gonna die or something.

But anyway, yeah, for a long time after I used to just get them, usually in places with a lot of people. I'd usually end up just throwing up and then I'd be ok. On busses and shit a lot too.

Then they just kinda stopped, out of nowhere.

I used to get panic attacks from smoking weed a lot too. Years ago. That hasn't happened in a long time now though. I think a lot of it is just the place your head is right now.

Corleone

Quote from: Variable on Jun 07, 2010, 05:21 PM
Indeed.  Good news for this guy is that if we had Canada's system.  The advice I gave him would be all he got.  Until he had one when he was driving and hurt himself or somebody.  Then they would take the next cheapest rout until it got worse and they were forced to spend more tax dollars to help him. 

What aboot Canada? :)

alvarezbassist17

Quote from: ToneDef on Jun 08, 2010, 12:35 AM
I had these once for like a year straight. The first one was on a plane back from a holiday in the US. I just sat there, thinking to myself that I'm in this plane in the air and no matter what, I can't get off even if I wanted to.  I started to get a fast heart rate, sweating and shit. Nasty. But eventually it went.

The feeling of an anxiety attack is the worst ever. Really feels like you're gonna die or something.

But anyway, yeah, for a long time after I used to just get them, usually in places with a lot of people. I'd usually end up just throwing up and then I'd be ok. On busses and shit a lot too.

Then they just kinda stopped, out of nowhere.

I used to get panic attacks from smoking weed a lot too. Years ago. That hasn't happened in a long time now though. I think a lot of it is just the place your head is right now.

Yeah I have a few friends who quit smoking weed because they got panic attacks, and Salvia is probably one of the very best ways to induce panic attacks.

wither-I

anxiety attacks are shorter and less profound. they can happen daily

panic attacks are crippling and usually involve hospitalization (where one is not able to take care of themselves physically much less mental/emotionally)

pot can really urge both.

i've had two true panic attacks.
hallucinations.
utter mental dystopia.
the profound realisation of death.
no physical strength/wherewithal.
all fundamental concept breaks down to the rearing of death as imminent and indomitable.
this is the end.
no way out.
no reason.
no.

"coming into the nearness of distance"

Jerry_Curls

Quote from: Variable on Jun 07, 2010, 05:04 PM
I'm sure a Dr. would be more than happy to take your money and medicate you.  Or send you to someone to talk to about certain problems you may be having in your life.  

Sometimes panic attacks can be pretty crippling.  I have had patients who truly thought they were having a heart attack because of them.  There is a lot of combat stress related panic attacks that I have seen come on.  Breathing exercises actually help more than you would think.  You have to think about it with processes that you can and can not control.  The body has the autonomic nervous system.  The system that controls things like your heart rate and blood pressure.  You have no control over this.  Sometimes, it kicks in and does some weird stuff with your head.  The only part of the autonomic nervous system that you have conscious control over is your breathing.  Usually, your body does it automatically.  However, you can control it if you want to.  So, if you start to take control of your breathing and do exercises you start to regain control of the other processes in your autonomic nervous system, and regain control of your mind.  Make sense?  

I have heard it recommended that you take in a deep breath over 10 sec, hold it for 10 sec, and release it for 10 sec.  Continuing to do so until you feel better.  Unless of course you get lightheaded or something from doing it.  But, I have heard it really helps.  Never had to do it myself.  But it seems to be an empirical science.  I hope that helps until you can see a Dr.

If you can't afford to go see a Dr.  meds like Valium help in these situations.  I can do a little research for you though and find out what the best thing to take is.  

Awesome advice!

Awesome topic as well. I suffer from some sort of attack usually daily. I start to think about my breathing, then I think if I am actually breathing [am I taking in oxygen] and then I start to panic because I am alone [ex: at my house or on the bus]...its the worst feeling because I sometimes feel like I'm not going to make it. It takes like about an hour or two for me to get over it. Sometimes I get these thoughts right before going to bed and it takes me about 2 hours to fall asleep. I fucking hate this feeling. I was thinking of doing yoga because a friend of mine is offering to teach me. I would also like to talk to a psychologist so I can get these thoughts out in the open.

I've had two prescriptions worth of diazepams after my first attack happened [while sober]. It helped when I would  get nervous at work or right before getting on the bus, but I hate having to rely on pills to help me out.

The best thing that lets me go to sleep peacefully is if I'm buzzed or drunk..I just go right to bed haha but fuuuck I hate this beer belly I'm getting.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

SX King

Jerry_Curls i have similar experiences. Ive never been medicated though.

There Will Be Blood

I did some high level "stimulants" the other-day, so I'm hopping thats what did it....

SX King

Have you ever had one before the other day

Starz

I don't suffer from panic attacks as such, but I do have major anxiety issues. More social than anything else. For instance, I can't walk into a shop and buy something unless someone is with me. I get too nervous otherwise and just freak out. I've had it for ages and it's slowly destroying my life because my friends and family are on the verge of just giving up on me... I want to feel better without taking some sort of anti-depressant but I don't think I'll force myself to feel better without some sort of medication in me. Being an insulin-dependent diabetic doesn't help matters either.

Jacob

Quote from: Starz on Jun 08, 2010, 10:43 AM
I don't suffer from panic attacks as such, but I do have major anxiety issues. More social than anything else. For instance, I can't walk into a shop and buy something unless someone is with me. I get too nervous otherwise and just freak out. I've had it for ages and it's slowly destroying my life because my friends and family are on the verge of just giving up on me... I want to feel better without taking some sort of anti-depressant but I don't think I'll force myself to feel better without some sort of medication in me. Being an insulin-dependent diabetic doesn't help matters either.

almost the same here, although I can walk into stores and such on my own. but I tend to get very nervous and anxious when I'm on my own and there's a lot of people around. I hate going into town on my own and I even have problems riding the bus or subway on my own. what's worse though, is that I can barely stand being on my own at home. I like having some alone time but if I don't talk to anyone during the entire day, I can easily feel overwhelming anxiety. it's affected school, work and social relationships for years, but I've never really cared until now. my friend who's lived with me for 2 years just moved out and I'm now living alone in a city where I barely know anyone, and all I've done the past two years is struggle to get to work (a 40 minute ride on the subway) every day and come home late at night only to make dinner, relax for an hour or two and try to get some sleep. I've been totally stressed out, with no time or energy to do anything social and fun. having a friend living with me has been my saving grace. so now I'm trying to work this shit out, probably only gonna work 50% during the summer and spend most of my time back home where most of my family and friends live, and I've started seeing a psychologist and taking meds. it feels good to at least try to sort things out, but having the feeling that I'm not normal and can't live a normal life is really starting to get to me. and I've felt that way for as long as I can remember, so it's not likely to just go away.

I've never experienced a panic attack though, and I'm fucking glad for that. I think I've been close a couple of times when on the subway, but then I've just got off on the next stop and taken a short walk and I've been able to relax.

oh, and the meds I'm taking are Citalopram. I've only been taking them for a little over a week and I can't really tell if they've done anything yet. apparantly it can take weeks before they have any effect. but I do think they've taken the edge off of the worst anxiety episodes.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

blixa

Variable

Quote from: Variable on Jun 07, 2010, 04:22 PM
Do you take in a lot of caffeine or stimulants? 
Quote from: gunsrazorsknives on Jun 08, 2010, 06:49 AM
I did some high level "stimulants" the other-day, so I'm hopping thats what did it....
I figured.  I would be willing to bet that's the reason if you have never had these before. 

There Will Be Blood

I dunno, I feel better now Thanks. Sometimes if i am hungover and I didn't get much of sleep that causes panic attacks all day!

Variable

If you have time to do some reading on the bodies sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems ( processes of the autonomic nervous system ) it will probably help you to understand what is going on with you better.

Long story short, the sympathetic nervous system is call the "fight or flight" response.  It is what you experience before a fight or combat or committing a crime or whatever.  Your body is preparing itself to fight.  So your pupils with dilate, your intestines might try to empty, your breathing and heart rate will increase, your vessels will constrict, the tubes in your lungs will dilate ....stuff like that.  Mainly due to your body dumping a bunch of epinephrine into the blood stream.  The parasympathetic nervous system does the exact opposite once the situation is over.  This is why you hear about fighters or criminal having to take shits right before they do what they do. 

So, if you think about it, if your autonomic nervous system is tweaking out on you, and it hits that sympathetic response.  Then your brain can get confused and think you are about to be in a stressful, or life threatening situation, causing stress or panic.  I am really over simplifying this, so that's why I suggested doing the research yourself.  But it's definitely a psychological disorder that you physically feel because your brain will trigger those physical responses. 

So stimulants, can also help trigger this.  Obviously they will cause your heart rate to increase, maybe some bronchiodilation , vasoconstriction....all that good stuff I was just talking about.  Which mixed with a psychological disorder -  like PTSD - can trigger this.  But also if you are just not accustomed to stress, fear, or life threatening situations, stimulants can cause this to happen without a psychological disorder. 

So be careful.  Just consider this when you make lifestyle decisions.  I'm all for having a good time and liking to party.  Just understand that you may be susceptible to panic attacks which could potentially be life threatening if you are driving, climbing, swimming, or something like that. 

There Will Be Blood

Thanks dude, I defiantly need to research more. Thanks again