Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Album Week Gold Edition, Week 1

Started by An bád dubh, Dec 07, 2014, 03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An bád dubh

Album Week Gold Edition: Great albums every week!

The same rules as before: Post albums, add a link to a song and/or to a full album. Point out a genre if you wish, as well as other information which you find helpful to others such as similar artists, release year and your own review of the album/band. Do you want to start the next Album Week Gold Edition thread?

My albums this week are all debut-albums, which are very often the best albums of bands. In these cases too. All these albums are also very distinctive from the rest of the albums of the bands so I warmly recommend checking them out even if you know the bands.

Archive - Londinium

Genre:
Trip Hop, Hip Hop, Electronica
Release year: 1996
Review: One of the best Trip Hop/Hip Hop -albums of all time. The production is amazing, the atmosphere is real and melancholic, the music is amazing. Beautiful melodies and vocals and seriously good rapping.

Recommended song:  Skyscraper
http://youtu.be/ESWbdx0KQyw?list=PLBaaGthzCAg7Djr4LSR1tczJ3AbVTp6Bs

Full album: Londinium
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0V-bY9UpHM&index=1&list=PLBaaGthzCAg7Djr4LSR1tczJ3AbVTp6Bs

Murder By Death - Like the Exorcist, but More Breakdancing

Genre: Its own subgenre of rock
Release year: 2002
Review: Just a beautiful album where everything works. This too is rather sad and melancholic. The instruments sound awesome, the cello and the piano are just something special.

Recommended song: You Are the Last Dragon (You Possess the Power of the Glow)
- The song starts at 11.12 on the link below. For some reason the link goes to 10.52. Just wait for it.
http://youtu.be/hEDYBwFze8U?t=11m12s

Full album: Like the Exorcist, but More Breakdancing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEDYBwFze8U

HIM - Greatest Love Songs Vol. 666

Genre: Gothic Rock
Release year: 1997
Review: I understood only later just how good this album was. Just so rocking, beautiful and dark.

Recommended song: For You
http://youtu.be/vwK_cCmRksc

Full album: Greatest Love Songs Vol. 666
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBWvCKQGqW4&index=1&list=PLINesDgSwsOqROEPikmRiif6rtXqBUSp1

Crazylegs

Never listened to Murder by death, i'll check that album out. Archive seem allright, not too big on HIM though.

Crazylegs

That murder by death album had promise, and the sound was interesting to me initially. Kinda reminded me of a light version of Grails (whom i love) with vocals at times. But as time went on i got pretty annoyed with it to be honest. Maybe i was in an irritable mood because of the work i was doing at the same time, hehe.

An bád dubh

Haha yeah mood definitely affects too, for me, to how much time I give to a band. But I feel that a new band tahts suitable for a person feels good regardless of the situation. Although some take time to grow but nowadays from my new favorite bands, maybe 95 % feel good from the beginning and 5 % are growers. Murder By Death has been a long-time favorite of mine, well, their two first albums that is. I just love the whole package that they had going on 8)

I can warmly recommend you checking out the HIM-album too. Even if you have heard their other stuff, that album is just something different and amazing. The second album was rather good too but after that it has been just rather uninteresting and plain.

black coffee

HIM does to me what I imagine Kiesza does to you so . I tried to listen to the youtube album playlist you posted there but I really hate his voice so I had to give up early.

Listened to Londinium yesterday while playing some online chess and its beautiful. I never had that trip-hop phase in my life. Checked out some Massive Attack albums maybe, but that was it really about that genre. This is good stuff though; think I want more of their music.

Murder by Death is something I used to listen to when I was more into this "Saddle Creek" type of sound ( hope that makes sense ). You know, this mix of indie, folk and country. Cursive were really good at that, too.  Not something that I'd choose from my playlist on purpose, but its a nice change up from the things I usually listen to nowadays.

bright lights, big city

Good call on Murder by Death, and Cursive. I'm the same way, that when it comes up on random it makes me happy. I'm always like who the hell is this?

I remember HIM from my Jackass/Bam Margera fandom days. He always wore their shit, and I was never able to get into them. (Did enjoy some CKY here and there though).

My favorite Murder by Death song, by the way:
http://youtu.be/u70RJ65gc58
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

An bád dubh

Quote from: black coffee on Dec 09, 2014, 04:01 PM
HIM does to me what I imagine Kiesza does to you so . I tried to listen to the youtube album playlist you posted there but I really hate his voice so I had to give up early.

Listened to Londinium yesterday while playing some online chess and its beautiful. I never had that trip-hop phase in my life. Checked out some Massive Attack albums maybe, but that was it really about that genre. This is good stuff though; think I want more of their music.

Murder by Death is something I used to listen to when I was more into this "Saddle Creek" type of sound ( hope that makes sense ). You know, this mix of indie, folk and country. Cursive were really good at that, too.  Not something that I'd choose from my playlist on purpose, but its a nice change up from the things I usually listen to nowadays.
Cool that you checked the albums out!

About Archive, their musical progression is weird. I have to ask, what aspects did you like about the album, the sound, the vocals, the rapping, the mood? Im asking because the album they made after this one was much more poppy, all female vocals and no rapping. Their third album was also much more towards pop, with all male vocals this time around. I didnt check anything from them after those 3 albums because the direction was so far from Londinium. They have made 7 more albums after 2002, I will have to check them out at some point.

So basically what ive noticed is that in trip-hop there are a few distinctively different "sub-genres" or styles. 1. The style of Archive's first album with dark trip-hop and rapping (though these are rare gems). 2. Poppier, all female vocals trip hop. 3. Almost instrumental trip-hop with a lot of samples from other songs, movies etc. 4. A combination of all of the above. Let me know what interests you in trip-hop and I can guide to some amazing artists ;)

An bád dubh

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Dec 09, 2014, 04:45 PM
Good call on Murder by Death, and Cursive. I'm the same way, that when it comes up on random it makes me happy. I'm always like who the hell is this?

I remember HIM from my Jackass/Bam Margera fandom days. He always wore their shit, and I was never able to get into them. (Did enjoy some CKY here and there though).

My favorite Murder by Death song, by the way:
http://youtu.be/u70RJ65gc58
Yeah Bam really loved HIM :D

Murder by Death is another band with an interesting progression in their sound. I loved their first two albums and was waiting for the third to be as amazing. Well, for me the sound changed dramatically. For some reason the singer found his inner Johnny Cash and his voice has been really low-tuned from that on. The song you posted was cool but for me that change in the voice after the second album just took out the amazing-factor in the music.

An bád dubh

Next week's Album Week Gold Edition -thread will be started by:

lostpilot

When:

During the weekend.

lostpilot

The thread is there.

So yes,
rapping is a big no no but in that particular song everything worked well, I don't think they make music like this anymore.;
Murder by Death was alright
for some reason I enjoyed HIM, and I dislike this band quite a lot, and this song somehow worked. Strangeness:)

An bád dubh

Quote from: lostpilot on Dec 12, 2014, 10:15 PM
The thread is there.

So yes,
rapping is a big no no but in that particular song everything worked well, I don't think they make music like this anymore.;
Murder by Death was alright
for some reason I enjoyed HIM, and I dislike this band quite a lot, and this song somehow worked. Strangeness:)
Nice! The album has 4 or 5 songs with rapping and they all work extremely well. All the others songs with rapping have female vocals too. Rest of the songs are either female vocals or instrumental. Just an awesome album to check out if you have time.

The same thing can be said about the HIM-album, I could have posted pretty much any song from it, all the songs on the album are just so foolishly real and awesome. I can imagine your dislike of the band as such though, I hope they wouldve stuck with this sound for at least 2 or 3 more albums.