Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Album Week 3

Started by lostpilot, Jul 12, 2010, 02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostpilot

Well, hello, it's my turn to share some music with you. I firstly thought I would share only my newest discoveries in heavier grounds - sludge/post-metal, but I do not want to make the list, well, seem boring, so I mixed in some different genre albums. It's a shame though that many of you will know the albums chosen already, and most likely you will be fans of the bands I will list. Well, I am only trying to share some love for the best music out there, right!

I will be fairly annoying and will choose SEVEN albums. Why? Because I want to cover more musical ground so everyone has a choice, and there are some albums that you
have to hear anyway.

1. Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Genre/atmosphere - Jazz Fusion/Psychedelic/Warm/Loopy
It is incredible how one can miss out so many great artists just because he was born a couple of decades later. This talented guy, Miles Davis, released a lot of material during his years, and up to this point I fully inhaled the only one record - 'Bitches Brew', a 1969 masterpiece of jazz fusion with some psychedelic moments altogether. The album is worthy of your attention-less chill moments and general sunny days without worries. A very nice album to listen to while under the influence of illegal substances.. yeah.

Track standouts - Bitches Brew
Try the album - http://www.mediafire.com/?etd2mjzwl32

2. The Ascent of Everest - From this Vantage

Genre/atmosphere - Post-rock/Epic(but not too far)/Cinematic/Experimental/Artistic
Yes, I know many fans of Godspeed You! Black Emperor had been sending shit at this band, as if this band tried to rip off the essence of GY!BE. Their first album was very GY!BE-ish, while the second album went a step away - the band decided to use what they love in other well known bands and use it to create a new music wave. The album is very cinematic, the vocals are just excellent (hippie-like mixing. Hear it and you will understand what I mean) and the album mastering/flow is just absurdly good. Interestingly enough, though 'Return to Us' sets a heavy mood, the other songs balance out with some hope and positive vibes. Highly recommended.

Track standouts - Return to Us; Dark, Dark My Light
Try the album - http://www.filefactory.com/file/b1ge1dg/n/The_Ascent_Of_Everest_-_From_This_Vantage_-_2010.zip

3. Do Make Say Think - The Other Truths

Genre/atmosphere - Post-rock/Artistic/Loopy/Summer-ish/Easy-going
You know you're hearing some really artistic people colliding their musical thoughts and ideas together with that sweet semi-acoustic sound in this band. Yes, I loved "You, You're A History In Rust", talk about "The Universe!" (a track from their previous album), Jesus, but I find this album a bit better, just because they lost the summer-folk-singing parts, what's left is emotional collision of artistic measures. Go check this album out!

Track stadounts - Do; Say
Try the album - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YGNZSBL8

4. A Silver Mt. Zion - This Is Our Punk-Rock, Thee Rusted Satellites Gather + Sing

Genre/atmosphere -  Artistic/Semi-acoustic/Emotional/Post-Folk(?)/Undefineable
To be honest sometime ago when I was stealing the internetZ I never noticed this ASMZ album. It just ran through my eyes and never really ended up in my discography. Surprising! The album itself.. I was carried away easily by the compelling fa-so-la intro with cinematic, almost theatrical movements, the tape-like atmosphere throughout the album and somewhat typical ASMZ emotional strength of the album. This masterpiece explodes with sincerity and pure yet unstable emotion. "Everybody gets a little lost sometimes". Cryworthy. Yes, I know many people do not like Efrim's vocals, but it is just a thing you have to get into it. This album is HIGHLY recommended. Four songs long, the album creates a different microcosmos for every song - excellently done.

Track standouts - Sow Some Lonesome Corner So Many Flowers Bloom, Babylon Was Built on Fire/Starsnostars
Try the album - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=wg3k2w05

5. We All Inherit the Moon - 月継 (Japanese)

Genre/atmosphere -  Ambient/Easy-going/Lullabies/Soothing
I find this band fascinating. In my personal music career I encountered many ambient/rock acts, but most of them still sounded quite similar. Well this band invented their own genre - if you could say that. The first two tracks of the album presents the band with it's fullness - and yet it's only 3-4 layer songs. The exquisite elegant out-of-rhythm drumming and backward guitars does it for me. The general backward inbound sound structure and very, very dreamy abstract drumming is a really catchy thing. Everyone on the planet has to listen to Part I on a lonely yet sunny day. The album easily flows song to a song.

Track standouts - Part I, Part II
Try the album - http://www.multiupload.com/B4A9OSO320

6. Neurosis - A Sun that Never Sets

Genre/atmosphere - post-metal/post-apocalyptic/hopeless/tribal/epic
I am very glad I found this album - it is purely excellent when it comes to "dark matters". The band itself includes various elements of music to create the unearthly doomed landscape - including acoustic guitars, bells, sludgy riffs, singing, tribal drumming and crescendos. To be honest, this may be not the best Neurosis album in terms of seperate songs, but the album on the whole takes your breath away with the hopelessness and rich mature dying mood. The album varies in structure and musical forms - for example, "From Where Its Roots Turn" contains the tribal noisy element, as if the song was taken from a pre-historic war dance, while "Crawl Back In" packs an exquisite calm musical movement of pure melancholy in between sludgy riffs. "Stones from the Sky" takes the cake - as many people say - the song is so heavy it fucking destroys itself in the end, closing the album with complete confusion. If you won't like the other songs - check this song necessarily. By the way, this band is great live.

Track standouts - A Sun that Never Sets, Crawl Back In, Stones from the Sky
Try the album - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OIGUHJXC

7. Boris - Feedbacker

Genre/atmosphere - drowning/feedbacks/dark/post-metal/noise/one-song-album
Boris have three albums that are made out of one song. This one, in my opinion, is the best. This album is very dark, and requires patience - for example, the first almost ten minute track is just emotional feedbacks, while track 2 dwells into monotonic riffs of feedbacks, swirling deep into your head and explodes thoroughly. There is a surprise vocal moment, that I enjoyed - after twenty minutes of instrumental movements and noise you'll be fairly surprised to hear a simple-rockish-song vocals when the album shifts again. But again, I tell you - this album requires patience. And the mastering is not too excellent, but it's all on purpose.

Track standouts - Feedbacker Pt. II, Feedbacker Pt. III
Try the album - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TPFJGASA

Enjoy!

theis

Wow, dude. I had no idea you liked Miles Davis.

"Bitches Brew" is incredible and one of my all time favorite albums.

Have you listened any other of his albums? If not, check out "Sketches of Spain" and "Kind of Blue". But really, any Miles album is gold.

Kudos!!!

bright lights, big city

all great albums! The Ascent of Everest one is probably my favorite on this list, i love that band so much.

EDIT: the miles davis needs a password
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

sing blue silver

Quote from: theis on Jul 12, 2010, 04:28 PM
Wow, dude. I had no idea you liked Miles Davis.

"Bitches Brew" is incredible and one of my all time favorite albums.

Have you listened any other of his albums? If not, check out "Sketches of Spain" and "Kind of Blue". But really, any Miles album is gold.

Kudos!!!

this

lostpilot

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Jul 12, 2010, 04:43 PM
all great albums! The Ascent of Everest one is probably my favorite on this list, i love that band so much.

EDIT: the miles davis needs a password

a new link: http://www.mediafire.com/?etd2mjzwl32

raynor

I've tried getting in to a couple of these bands before, never heard Miles Davis really though. I guess it's time to give him a couple of spins. I've heard Rust by DMST, and liked it, but never bothered digging deeper. Will check that one after, and after that don't know... hmm

Crazylegs

i've only listened to the A Silver mt Zion album so far, and i didn't like it very much. I like music with a bit more structure than that. Listening to the Neurosis album now, i already had it on my computer, but i haven't listened to it yet. Sounding good so far.

lostpilot

Well, A Silver Mt. Zion definitely requires much time to get into. For me personally it took about two years until I finally dwelled into their music :)

black coffee

Not too much of a fan of A Silver Mt. Zion, Do Make Say Think wasn't my thing either. I've been listening to tons of Post-Rock these past  years, but I always preferred the one which also has heavy moments instead of this artsy/jazzy style.

About Mils Davis, I never really listened to any of his stuff. I'll meet a couple old friends in two weeks,and will probably put this on when we get high.

Not much from me to say about Boris / Neurosis /  The Ascent of Everest, all great bands. Great choice with Feedbacker, to be honest I wouldn't know which Boris album to choose as a favorite. Pink for instance is a great trip as well.

raynor

finally started checking out this list. listening to a silver mt zion now, totally digging it. not that into post-rock really, but this is great so far! will check miles davis also, but the link didn't work. read on wikipedia it was considered the first fusion jazz. now the word fusion just makes me giggle, what a silly genre, but I've always wanted to check out miles davis though. I'll grab it on what.cd tomorrow at work.

lostpilot

there is another link somewhere in this thread:

http://www.mediafire.com/?etd2mjzwl32

An bád dubh

Man, sorry but Im gonna come back to this week later. Most of the stuff you have presented is stuff which I have not gotten into before and Im feeling like something easy today. Who knows, today might be the day when I fall in love with all of them, but I have to write a report and I what need is music that calms me rather than puzzles me. I would say that your stuff right here would need my full concentration which I cant give today.

I promise to check your stuff out later man!

lostpilot

Take your time, music lives forever :)

An bád dubh

Quote from: lostpilot on Aug 28, 2010, 12:23 PM
Take your time, music lives forever :)
Haha, nicely put :)

An bád dubh

Haha, just noticed that I promised to check these albums later, 4 years ago :D

Commenting on the stuff which I dont remember checking before:

Miles Davis:
Well, I used to go to a lot of jazz concerts when I lived in Holland back in the days. Never really have gotten into jazz, and Miles Davis, even though a name bigger than many (or all the others in the genre) doesnt make a difference for me here. Maybe after 5 more years.

The Ascent of Everest: I liked the overall atmosphere and the piano and the string instruments in many songs. At some points reminded me a lot of Murder By Death's first 2 albums. I will check them better later, was rather intrigued.

Do Make Say Think: Not sure if Ive checked this before. I liked the album Other Truths from the first seconds. I liked the song names too. Im not the biggest fan of post-rock/instrumental/whateverbut I probably have to give ths another try because of the great guitars (and the whole song) on "Make".

We All Inherut the Moon: Well, I gotta draw a line somewhere, this is already too instrumental/noise/ambient/Idontevenknow for me.

I was right 4 years ago though, the stuff wouldve been more puzzling than calming. I apparently (?) got that report written too.

lostpilot

Quote from: An bád dubh on Nov 27, 2014, 10:05 PM
Haha, just noticed that I promised to check these albums later, 4 years ago :D

Commenting on the stuff which I dont remember checking before:

Miles Davis:
Well, I used to go to a lot of jazz concerts when I lived in Holland back in the days. Never really have gotten into jazz, and Miles Davis, even though a name bigger than many (or all the others in the genre) doesnt make a difference for me here. Maybe after 5 more years.

The Ascent of Everest: I liked the overall atmosphere and the piano and the string instruments in many songs. At some points reminded me a lot of Murder By Death's first 2 albums. I will check them better later, was rather intrigued.

Do Make Say Think: Not sure if Ive checked this before. I liked the album Other Truths from the first seconds. I liked the song names too. Im not the biggest fan of post-rock/instrumental/whateverbut I probably have to give ths another try because of the great guitars (and the whole song) on "Make".

We All Inherut the Moon: Well, I gotta draw a line somewhere, this is already too instrumental/noise/ambient/Idontevenknow for me.

I was right 4 years ago though, the stuff wouldve been more puzzling than calming. I apparently (?) got that report written too.

Budddy!!!!!
I have no words for what you have just done!

lostpilot

This reminds me, I should continue the "Album Week" posts.. four years after.

Crazylegs

E-Money

Yea lets start it up again. I think we all enjoyed it last time around.

lftpp

im in. who starts?