Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Letlive (Yes, they try hard to be Glassjaw...though actually succeeding at it?)

Started by Slacker, Jan 26, 2011, 05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANattyRat

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jun 04, 2013, 06:00 PM
Man that's fucking horrible, which sucks because I had high hopes, what a backwards step this is. It sounds like a one of those shitty songs that are used on EA sport games, It's completely passionless, he's still yelling but it doesn't sound genuine on Fake History you could tell he was living every moment of the song, his genuine pain came through this, just sounds like it has no soul. It's really sad I loved the heart that was in their previous work and now they have gone to writing rap metal from the 2000's also I don't know how to describe it but I hate those little bits where it sounds like a backing group are singing it's used alot in radio rock songs and it sounds so unnatural and it breaks the connection of the listener to the vocalist.

Completely disagree with this, I love the new song. I don't see this as a song that was influenced by pain, sadness or anything like that, so makes sense that his voice won't convey that emotion either. The song sounds light-hearted to me, and I'm sure not all of the album will be that way. Last night I listened to the radio it was played on, and before that, they played a clip of Jason saying that originally it was a lot different, slower, but they wanted to put more energy and chaos into it so they transformed it a lot. So don't think the album is going to be all like this, because I sincerely doubt it.

Here he's talking about the song:
The Story Behind The Track: letlive. - 'Banshee (Ghost Fame)'

DeftonesNZ

It's hard to explain but you just get a feeling when a band is being genuine, on Fake History it sounded like he was singing about stuff he had actually lived through you could hear all the emotions he was going through in his performance, almost like he wrote the songs because he needed someway to vent all the emotions he had built up, this just doesn't have that same feel it's music made out of want not necessity. I think they tried to incorporate too much in too little time and it just sounds messy.It sounds like Linkin Park meets DEP meets Beastie Boys, the instrumentals are lazy with cheap sounding DJ sounds like an old linkin park song and the vocals are tacky like a Beastie Boys or Limp Bizkit song, But mainly the song is poorly crafted and erratic like a DEP song, it just jumps between different phases without any transition like at 2:10, it just sharply goes from distorted guitar to acoustic guitar.

ANattyRat

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jun 04, 2013, 06:35 PM
It's hard to explain but you just get a feeling when a band is being genuine, on Fake History it sounded like he was singing about stuff he had actually lived through you could hear all the emotions he was going through in his performance, almost like he wrote the songs because he needed someway to vent all the emotions he had built up, this just doesn't have that same feel it's music made out of want not necessity. I think they tried to incorporate too much in too little time and it just sounds messy.It sounds like Linkin Park meets DEP meets Beastie Boys, the instrumentals are lazy with cheap sounding DJ sounds like an old linkin park song and the vocals are tacky like a Beastie Boys or Limp Bizkit song, But mainly the song is poorly crafted and erratic like a DEP song, it just jumps between different phases without any transition like at 2:10, it just sharply goes from distorted guitar to acoustic guitar.

True, but for me, I don't think every song has to be this escape of emotion and necessity, I think sometimes people make music because they want to, not necessarily because they need to. And I'm sure the album will still incorporate those things that you love about the band.

On another note, love the video and I've just pre-ordered the album with a shirt :)

elite54

I don't really like it either, but I wouldn't insult DEP by saying it sounds like one of their songs. Maybe I just really like their stuff... Hopefully the rest of the album is better.

DeftonesNZ

It doesn't sonically sound like DEP it just has the same sort erratic construction they use alot, it works when DEP do it but not on this, It's almost as if it was written in blocks, like they worked the individual parts out and then just put them next to each other without considering how they were going to jump between them.

elite54

I got you. It definitely does work when DEP does it. This letlive song is just too rappy and goofy for my taste.

DeftonesNZ

yeah goofy is a good word for it, it sounds like that cheesy pop punk stuff that used to be on tony hawk games

An bád dubh

Well, to start withthis band is a very new acquaintance for me, and I've followed them lately with some interest. Gonna check their album/albums at some point but just to comment on this new song: The descriptions above are rather correct, the song itself incorporates lotssss of different stuff. The vocal melodies on the parts where he's singing remind me of Portugal. The Man from their Waiter: "You Vultures" era. The rapping parts sound like 90s Stuck Mojo or some similar band back in the days. Besides these parts it sounds like what I've basically heard them do before from the few bits that Ive listened so far. All in all the song is intriguing, and surely makes me interested in them even more. So yeah, next stop, gonna check out one of their albums. Fake History is probably the place to start it seems.

nineteen

Love this song and hyped for the album. Think it was mixed by some Pop/R&B dude.

Robotsatemygrandma

Kinda reminded me of "the Sick Sick 6.8 Billion".

Kinda shitty too... I had higher expectations for them.

Also the GJ comparison...  Yup. Except... Daryl and camp are way better. 

Deftones-argentina

I love Banshee to death. Interestingly enough, many of your reasons for you guys disliking it are many of the reasons why I like it. It's amazing how personal perception works. I'm sorry for you not enjoying banshee, but this is what I was needing to hear in music, and personally I consider this song a step up and an expansion for the band.
You did it once again, letlive; shut up and marry my ears.

N0S3BLEED976

elite54

N0S3BLEED976

nicklav

N0S3BLEED976

Not available in Germany, unfortunately. Will have to wait until they stream it here or my preorder arrives

N0S3BLEED976

Nevermind, I found a download. I'm quite disappointed with the album though, since Banshee is easily the best of the bunch. Perhaps it's partially because the mp3 quality is absolutely horrible. But so far there has been nothing outstanding so far, with the exception of the Priest And Used Cars and 27 Club, which are solid

Also, do I hear auto-tune on Dreamer's Disease? What the fuck...

DeftonesNZ

Yeah it's pretty shit it just feels like the same song over and over with different vocals, the guitar and drums are just boring and repetitive, man this sucks I loved Fake History but this is big backward step the passions just not their he's yelling but it still doesn't match the intensity he created on Fake History by just whispering, all the songs sound rushed and poorly crafted they just sort of go all out for 4 min and that's it, you don't feel like you're being told a story or going on a journey.

N0S3BLEED976

Man, I was so hyped after Stephen Hill from Metal Hammer praised it as the "album of the decade" and "on par with Refused and Rage Against The Machine". I'll keep my preorder however and hope it will grow on me. The rip is absolutely shit, so I didn't get every detail out of the songs. It really sounded like a monotone wall of sound. I can say for sure, though, that a couple of songs have no interesting idea. Not quite sure what song it was, but that particular one just seemed to just fizzle out at the end, with no interesting melody, riffs, vocals, whatsoever.

Edit: It's Virgin Dirt