Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Earthquake/Tsunami in the Pacific

Started by Crazylegs, Mar 11, 2011, 02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Variable

Quote from: defskull on Mar 13, 2011, 04:26 PM
.....wow. First of all, I'm pretty sure Japan "got it coming" when America dropped two nukes in their country. Second of all, if they are going to reference history they should remember that Japan is in no way under the same rule as they were during World War II.  Fuck, these people make USA look bad.
Well there is the fact that we Nuked them.  But the bombing raids on Tokyo killed way more than the two Nukes we dropped.  Not to mention that Pearl Harbor was a military target and we just kind of blew the fuck out of their elementary schools.  I'm not saying that either side was right or wrong, it was a big war and shit had to happen.  But Karma definitely has nothing to do with this.  We got ours and then some.

And yeah, it might do some of these people good to google current American Defense Strategies.  Because we have a shit ton of troops in Japan, for a reason.  We base our entire Pacific defense strategy out of Japan, Guam, and Alaska.  But Japan doesn't have a military because of WW2.  We (the U.S.A.) are their defense force.  So it only kind of makes sense that we would help them when a disaster goes down.  
Quote from: Corleone on Mar 13, 2011, 05:05 PM
Not everyone has the resources like America does. Sorry but as long as USA is a front runner in the world of politics and society, you will be scrutinized for dumb ignorant shit that you do (not you personally, just those people (^) Don't take it personal, I'm sure those were some hicks living in the middle of nowhere that somehow got access to facebook.
I don't really see how the U.S. being a super power has anything to do with people putting unfair emphasis on our dumb citizens compared to their own.  Those people don't control the country and are not the prominent voice of the country either.  It gets annoying when people act like everyone in Europe and Asia is a Genius with proper world perspectives.  The U.S. has some states larger than a lot of your countries.  Yeah, we have a huge population and one or two of them are bound to be uninformed from time to time.
Quote from: devilinside on Mar 13, 2011, 05:25 PM
Quote from: Variable on Mar 13, 2011, 12:42 AM
I asked.  All the Marine stationed in Japan are fine.  Most of them are on Okinawa, and the whole DOD system on Okinawa said it was all good.  Everyone else in 3rd MEF are all good and all accounted for and stuff.  So if you have any friends stationed in Japan, I think it's safe to assume they are fine.

I was also talking to my dad today about the "Nuclear Meltdown"  He worked for the Department Of Energy for 35 years and knows a thing or two about this.  He said that he may be proven wrong, but from what he has seen, he doesn't know what everyone is freaking out about.  He said that there are a bunch of "fail safes" put in place for this kind of thing and so far it doesn't look like anything has failed or any increase in radiation has been detected.  So I don't know.  It kind of seems like this may be the media just trying to hype shit up for ratings.  Maybe not though.  

My husband,who works for TVA (one of the leading producers of energy in the US),said that's true and nobody's gonna die from this,but its a big impact on the regulatory aspect of it. Same thing happened with 3 mile island and chernobyl.
Right.  My dad was saying that the real interesting thing from this will be the new debate on "is nuclear energy safe?" and all the new regulatory protocols put in place because of it.  AKA; How bad will people over react?

chick de la lynch

Quote from: Variable on Mar 13, 2011, 05:50 PM
Quote from: Corleone on Mar 13, 2011, 05:05 PM
Not everyone has the resources like America does. Sorry but as long as USA is a front runner in the world of politics and society, you will be scrutinized for dumb ignorant shit that you do (not you personally, just those people (^) Don't take it personal, I'm sure those were some hicks living in the middle of nowhere that somehow got access to facebook.
I don't really see how the U.S. being a super power has anything to do with people putting unfair emphasis on our dumb citizens compared to their own.  Those people don't control the country and are not the prominent voice of the country either.  It gets annoying when people act like everyone in Europe and Asia is a Genius with proper world perspectives.  The U.S. has some states larger than a lot of your countries.  Yeah, we have a huge population and one or two of them are bound to be uninformed from time to time.

Well said. It's kind of hard not to take those comments personally, anyway. I'm an American and I definitely don't want to lumped in the category of "ignorant" just because a few people are uninformed. It may seem like America may have more than their fare share of ignorant people, but the majority of us aren't like those people on Facebook.

Variable

Ironic though, that people ignorantly lump all Americans into a collective group of ignorant people, then try to act all smug about it. 

lostpilot

I have a thing to say when it comes to USA, a judgmental ironic statement of ignorance.

Yes, it is completely arrogant and uninformed to assume that most of the Americans are ignorant, uneducated and lack high moral standards while the minority cannot represent the whole. Yes, this thought is completely not fair. But at the same time, the assumed amount of people that actually lack respect to the rest of the world, lack cultural open-mindedness, high virtues - it always seems that the amount of these people exceed the amounts of those people in other countries percent-wise. You can defend your States all you want, but you cannot ignore the idea that most of the douchebaggery and low-culture comes from the USA.

But - oh - before you shoot an emotionally charged cumshot at me, Trey, get the idea that I have never said that other countries don't produce douchebaggery and low-culture  too. Stop being self-centered when it comes to these statements. Yes, people have their image of USA, and it's mostly incorrect but at the same time same people have different (and not even closely nice) images of  other countries too. It's just that with the population of USA and the influence they have it's a more subtle subject.

Stop being butt-hurt.

Back to the topic, I really really hope that the full meltdown does not happen in one of the four struggling nuclear power plants.

poofing acid

Vesanic

bright lights, big city

Quote from: Vesanic on Mar 13, 2011, 09:07 PM
http://pigroll.com/549_hold-f11.html

Please don't hate me. Or not too much.
that was awesome.

and apparently this is how everyone sees the typical Amurrrican
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

theis

lostpilot

Today I realized that christian fundamentalist family comes from USA.

Penicks

ablackswan

*Tous ensemble pour leur foutre au cul*

Quote from: VesanicJustin Bieber sounds like Adrenaline

Oldnewtype

Quote from: Vesanic on Mar 13, 2011, 09:07 PM
http://pigroll.com/549_hold-f11.html

Please don't hate me. Or not too much.

hahaha nice.

Japan is fucked. They don't have much luck with radiation, do they?

Crazylegs

Doesn't look too good. I'm sorry to say, but shit like this kinda fascinates me.

tarkil

I'm here with you, I spend my days checking real time news for this...

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Oldnewtype

ITS THE END OF THE WORLD ALL OVER AGAIN

people_r_fake529

I just fell bad for all the Japanese who are suffering because of this disaster.  can you imagine waiting in line just for water to drink?  and seeing your home wept away like a cardboard box with all your memories and family photos, just gone?  Probably, the people who went through Hurricane Katrina or Haiti can come close to realize the suffering these people are going through.  The pictures of people crying and suffering make me sick.  I donated $20 to the Red Cross.  I'm glad to know there are still caring and compassionate people in this world, who will do a kind act, without wanting nothing in return.  The whole thing is a sad tragedy.  Someday, it is going to be America's turn, it is just a matter of time.

Variable

Quote from: lostpilot on Mar 13, 2011, 08:39 PM
I have a thing to say when it comes to USA, a judgmental ironic statement of ignorance.

Yes, it is completely arrogant and uninformed to assume that most of the Americans are ignorant, uneducated and lack high moral standards while the minority cannot represent the whole. Yes, this thought is completely not fair. But at the same time, the assumed amount of people that actually lack respect to the rest of the world, lack cultural open-mindedness, high virtues - it always seems that the amount of these people exceed the amounts of those people in other countries percent-wise. You can defend your States all you want, but you cannot ignore the idea that most of the douchebaggery and low-culture comes from the USA.

But - oh - before you shoot an emotionally charged cumshot at me, Trey, get the idea that I have never said that other countries don't produce douchebaggery and low-culture  too. Stop being self-centered when it comes to these statements. Yes, people have their image of USA, and it's mostly incorrect but at the same time same people have different (and not even closely nice) images of  other countries too. It's just that with the population of USA and the influence they have it's a more subtle subject.

Stop being butt-hurt.

Back to the topic, I really really hope that the full meltdown does not happen in one of the four struggling nuclear power plants.
Dear Darius,

Are you on drugs?  My post wasn't even intended for you ( guiltily consciounce much? ) And I would think that by now you would know that I don't say things just because I'm "butt hurt".  Which BTW, is an interesting term to use after you come out of the closet then make a reference to me cumming on your face. 

Look brother.  I consider you to be a friend.  But you're not making it easy after a display like that.  My point was that the population of 1 state out of 50 his higher than your entire country.  It's pretty fucking easy to pick out 50 ignorant facebook post from a country that large.  If you want to admit that your perspectives of a country you have never even experienced has been influenced by a couple comedic displays of a tiny fraction of its population, then by all means.  But people are going to call you stupid for coming to those conclusions. 

Go a head and act elite for Europe.  Go ahead and tell me one invention (other than the blowjob) that you use every day that an American hasn't invented or improved into modern use?  Go ahead and tell me one way that your economy isn't influenced by the U.S.  Go ahead and explain how the music you make wasn't influenced by U.S. musicians.  Go ahead and try to explain how Barrack Obama isn't the most powerful man in the world.  Maybe you can even try to explain how an American isn't responsible for the fact that we are even friends or that we are friends on facebook.  Then ill bring you right back down to earth. 

Oh you can agree to all of that but want to make the point that it's the minority rising above the stupid majority?  Consider this.  Nobody gives a shit about the stupid people in your country.  No comedy show is trying to go out on the streets of Lithuania to see how many people can find Australia on a map.  Also, nobody is trying to stalk your facebook pages to pick our 50 ignorant responses to a natural disaster and make it seem to represent an entire nation.  You however, are doing a fine job of proving that ignorance is alive and well in Europe. 

My point is that you need to calm down and think about what you're saying.  That picture was funny and disturbing at the same time.  It was informative to the ignorance around us.  However it in no way shape or form represents even a little bit of the popular opinion of the U.S.

And your little comment about Christian Fundamental Families originating in the U.S.?  I want to buy you a history book. 

lostpilot

Trey, I am mostly being auto-ironic (is this expression even possible?).
By no means I believe fully in what I have said, it's mostly for teasing purposes.

I am even planning to live in the USA in the near future - if possible. And I know how everything American surrounds me - and I am not against it, trust me.

And, it's so not fair of you to consider me "European elitist". I am opposing myself to the Western way of life while the Eastern (Middle-East mostly) way of life seems mostly harmonic for me.

To finish the thought - live and let live; love everyone. This is how I roll - and it makes me a little hurt that you would consider me to be so incredibly ignorant and willing to insult someone without righteous evidence and arguments. Every place has everything; every place has balance.

Variable

Dude you came at me out of no where and called me self centered; for simply stating that it's ignorant to call the majority of Americans ignorant, based on a one-sided Facebook pic like that.  Maybe you could look up how much money U.S. Citizens have donated in aid to Japan?  It might overshadow a couple stupid comments about Pearl Harbor.  

My point is that two ignorant people don't make a right.  Also, self Righteousness is a terrible defense to ignorance.  I know you're better than this though.  We will just chalk it off to a bad day.  

poofing acid