Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Bullshit Thread

Started by Oldnewtype, May 19, 2011, 10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr.sinister

Yeah its a scream, but with distortion.

Vesanic

I think it's a distorted high inhale scream.

BillyNo.9

Anyone else think Damone would sound good straight after Mascara. I don't know why but I've never liked Mascara until I listened to it then Damone after it, It seems to fit quite nicely. Having said that I would never have had that deftones epiphany of falling asleep after listening to the album then being waken up by Damone at 2 in the morning and just being completely blown away again after an already incredible record.

Oldnewtype

Damone sounds great after any song.

BillyNo.9

Vesanic

To me, Damone has always been the best song from Around the Fur. Really a song that defines their sound.

from_musings

Quote from: BillyNo.9 on Jun 13, 2011, 03:48 AM
Anyone else think Damone would sound good straight after Mascara

i don't know.. the end scream is a good closer no? where would the song atf be?

Quote from: Vesanic on Jun 13, 2011, 12:52 PM
To me, Damone has always been the best song from Around the Fur. Really a song that defines their sound.

i agree on damone being the best song on atf. maybe a little too fast and "punky" to be a typical deftones song... i'm thinking korea or bloody cape as songs that defines their sound

BillyNo.9

Atf could be the last song on the album. Amazing scream at the end of that too. Probably wouldn't have been as impressed with the band as I am if it wasn't for damone being where it is now though.

I'm with V on the defining song thing. They were influenced by a lot of punk so it makes sense to be "punky" while still maintaining that serious passionate side that is explored more in WP

One_Weak

Biggest Musical revelation in my life so far: Deftones indulgence in August 2010 thanks to Diamond Eyes album (despite faves being Adrenaline & ATF). Been obsessed ever since. First concert for them in Baltimore 5/17, fucking aweso\m/e

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: from_musings on Jun 13, 2011, 02:52 PM
Quote from: BillyNo.9 on Jun 13, 2011, 03:48 AM
Anyone else think Damone would sound good straight after Mascara

i don't know.. the end scream is a good closer no? where would the song atf be?

Quote from: Vesanic on Jun 13, 2011, 12:52 PM

i agree on damone being the best song on atf. maybe a little too fast and "punky" to be a typical deftones song... i'm thinking korea or bloody cape as songs that defines their sound
i wll say Korea and B C rep them for me as well.
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

from_musings

one of my favourite deftones songs is wgtb.but a phrase in it isn't quite right and makes me wonder
"Something's wrong with you and I hope we never do meet again"

doesn't it sound like there's something wrong with CHINO when he sings it? he sounds like someone who's mentally unstable. I absolutey love the song, and im lovin the way he sings it, but that particular phrase is not quite 100% because he's accusing someone of something he himself seems to suffers from?

also change:

"give you the gun,blow me away" couldn't he just blow himself away like kurt cobain if he wanted that? that line is also weird

Vesanic

Quote from: from_musings on Jun 16, 2011, 11:22 PM
I absolutey love the song, and im lovin the way he sings it, but that particular phrase is not quite 100% because he's accusing someone of something he himself seems to suffers from?

from_musings

if you have a fight with your girlfriend and she acts like a hysterical nut case,throw things around and screams that something is wrong with YOU,
wouldn't you think "um.. something's wrong with who you say?"

pony_01

Have anyone heard Incubus new album? "If Not Now, When?"
there is a song titled "In The Company of Wolves", and the second part of the song REALLY REALLY sounds like Deftones.
btw, i really dont know where i should post this. lol

Frequency_Chemist

Quote from: from_musings on Jun 16, 2011, 11:22 PM
also change:

"give you the gun,blow me away" couldn't he just blow himself away like kurt cobain if he wanted that? that line is also weird

It is if you take it in a literal sense, but I don't think that's how he means it. As in entertainer he's suppose to "blow away" people with his performance. Hence, he has the gun. What I think he's saying is that when he looks out in the crowd it's disarming and completely unreal to him. So in otherwords now they have gun and are blowing him away. Chino lyrics are always abstract like that, but I could be wrong.

One_Weak

what's the deal with this song's title? I know it's one of many ambiguous (or maybe I'm just not getting it) song titles out there by Deftones, but it kinda irks me when I don't even know how to pronounce it lol

it's "fih-real' right? like you're saying "for real" in slang. or maybe I'm just being ignorant lol
Biggest Musical revelation in my life so far: Deftones indulgence in August 2010 thanks to Diamond Eyes album (despite faves being Adrenaline & ATF). Been obsessed ever since. First concert for them in Baltimore 5/17, fucking aweso\m/e

BillyNo.9

Again... 3:07
Deftones - Dragonfly Interview 1995

"that was a high time song" Probably made it up when they were stoned and it sounded cool or something?

One_Weak

"fy-ree-al"
"say it like you're from Europe" lol
thanks for the link man, great interview

from_musings

chino sings about what it's like to perform on stage for the fans? "change" is like robin william's "let me entertain you" then i guess. that's sad.

Frequency_Chemist

Lol i think it's cool cuz it's like it's about the surrealism of being nobody to yourself. Then realizing that you mean something to other people out there and that your a part of something bigger than yourself. I mean imagine if you were on stage and a crowd was simultaneously singing the words that you wrote. I mean music is all about self expression. To be able to share that self expression with millions of other people and have them relate to me would be an awesome feeling. I can see how maybe it could come across lame to write about, but i think thats part of the reason Chino writes the way he does.  It can mean whatever to him, but fans can interpet it however they want.