Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Oldies

Started by occipudding, Aug 07, 2011, 08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

occipudding

I've seen some older music posted here and about on this forum but I figured I'd start up a discussion aimed solely at what the pre-80s music world had to offer.  I listen to a lot of old soul so I'll be posting a lot of that most likely.  Here goes:

Dorothy Morrison "Black California"
Dorothy Morrison - Black California
probably one of my favorite soul songs ever recorded

Donny Hathaway "Jealous Guy"
Donny Hathaway - Jealous Guy
probably one of my favorite cover songs ever recorded (dare i say, better than the deftones version?)

Baby Huey "A Change Is Going To Come"
Baby Huey - A Change is Going to Come

Fender IV "Everybody Up"
Everybody Up - Fender IV
i used to listen to a lot of surf rock in my younger teens.  not so much anymore but this track has always stuck with me.  crazy energy in this song.

Groupies "Primitive"
The Groupies - Primitive

The Brooks Brothers "Looking For A Woman"
Brooks Brothers - Looking for a woman
i can't get no satisfaction

I guess I'll leave it at that for now.  Looking forward to hearing antiques from the rest of y'all.
machete!  meow

BillyNo.9

I grew up on Gospel, Soul, R&B and reggae thanks to my awesome parents, this is still a favourite of mine though
Dusty Springfield Son of a Preacher Man
Jimmy Cliff too
Jimmy Cliff - Vietnam

occipudding

yeah, son of a preacher man's a good song, man.  used to hear that song every so often at this convenience store by my house when i lived in jersey.  funny you mention gospel.  just a couple days ago, i decided to sit down and figure out dragnet for jesus by sister wynona carr.  wasn't able to find it on youtube but it is up on soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/wirralite/sister-wynona-carr-dragnet-for-jesus#2/B6oGj7MaM-KW8CsmX3n2XltJ_I26UXloxrxYMEG3Jts
machete!  meow