Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

white pony

Started by theis, Dec 12, 2007, 07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starz

Vesanic

Quote from: Starz on Mar 02, 2010, 12:22 PM
I love Lucky You.

Not only it's an excellent song, but the song totally goes with the mood of the record.

Crazylegs

Quote from: theis on Mar 02, 2010, 11:51 AM
Quote from: Crazylegs on Mar 02, 2010, 02:06 AM
street carp has to be the worst song ever put on a deftones album, the rest of white pony is pretty good though.

That's just crazy talk, man.

Rats, Mein, Pink Cellphone, Lucky You...those are much much worse.

i disagree, though i do dislike rats and pink cellphone.

There Will Be Blood

I like rats. The total breakdown is awesome. I have to agree I love all of WP but street carp I never really got into. I think that whole lyrics with the phone numbers is kinda cheesy like that 80's song 867-5309.

frud

It's not phone numbers. and Street Carp is amazing.

There Will Be Blood

Quote from: frud on Mar 02, 2010, 11:43 PM

Address I meant. Yeah its a great song but definitely not they're best.

emehlen

Quote from: unfamed on Mar 02, 2010, 12:51 AM
Quote from: emehlen on Mar 01, 2010, 07:02 PM
Quote from: theis on Dec 12, 2007, 07:04 PM
this is damn weird.

i always considered this album to be my least favorite...but lately i've just been obsessed with it.

it's like i >just< discovered it now.  

what an amazing album...track for track. it's so varied and it manages to flow together so fucking well. i really don't know why i haven't been paying more attention to this album before now... amazing. go get you knife...

anyways, this is an awesome feeling.

WOW, it took you that long to realize its awesomeness? Deftones quintessential album, their "Loveless" if I may boldly say so.

I suppose you could, since thats what inspired the way it was mixed, but I wouldn't. Loveless is a great album, but beyond the mix I don't really see the comparison.

NO NO NO buddy, I'm not comparing the music at all!  I'm using an analogy to state that WP is their pinnacle work to date.  You cant disagree that Loveless is MBV's best work. So, im drawing THAT comparison, and its just my opinion.  ;)

Hidalgo

Quote from: frud on Mar 02, 2010, 11:43 PM
it's a good tune. sorta reminds me of their old like linus demos. maybe the only song that does

defTHE1s

street carp has to be the worst song ever put on a deftones album, the rest of white pony is pretty good though.

Rats, Lucky You...those are much much worse.
that's bullshit man, you might be crazy

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

unfamed

Quote from: emehlen on Mar 03, 2010, 12:47 AM
Quote from: unfamed on Mar 02, 2010, 12:51 AM
Quote from: emehlen on Mar 01, 2010, 07:02 PM
Quote from: theis on Dec 12, 2007, 07:04 PM
this is damn weird.

i always considered this album to be my least favorite...but lately i've just been obsessed with it.

it's like i >just< discovered it now. 

what an amazing album...track for track. it's so varied and it manages to flow together so fucking well. i really don't know why i haven't been paying more attention to this album before now... amazing. go get you knife...

anyways, this is an awesome feeling.

WOW, it took you that long to realize its awesomeness? Deftones quintessential album, their "Loveless" if I may boldly say so.

I suppose you could, since thats what inspired the way it was mixed, but I wouldn't. Loveless is a great album, but beyond the mix I don't really see the comparison.

NO NO NO buddy, I'm not comparing the music at all!  I'm using an analogy to state that WP is their pinnacle work to date.  You cant disagree that Loveless is MBV's best work. So, im drawing THAT comparison, and its just my opinion.  ;)

I see, I guess I didn't really see the comparison that way since MBV only recorded two records. But I get you now.
never odd or even

Deftones-argentina

Quote from: defTHE1s on Mar 07, 2010, 01:24 AM

Rats, Lucky You...those are much much worse.
that's bullshit man, you might be crazy

Street carp keeps being my favourite track after a decade, actually.

nineteenpeoplesnames

White Pony just stands out as something that is way ahead of its time.

The whole thing is just so futuristic and clinical and I still haven't got my head around it since it came out.

Deftones-argentina

Quote from: nineteenpeoplesnames on Mar 07, 2010, 07:54 PM
White Pony just stands out as something that is way ahead of its time.

The whole thing is just so futuristic and clinical and I still haven't got my head around it since it came out.

I feel this statement, futuristic is a good way of describing WP.

Far away

i cant deal with pink cellphone and thats about it..sounds like a "i dont have any other song lets fill the record with this crap where a hot chick talks dirty" to me..

from_musings

Quote from: Deftones-argentina on Feb 28, 2010, 04:29 AM
Plus, in that case Knife prty was to be the first single. I don't have a clue why the idea was dropped, such a shame. Most iconic song by deftones in my opinion.

chino said that the record company wanted them to release knife prty as the first single but that he battled them down and chose change instead.
maybe he did that because knife prty was a rip off of hum's song little dipper.wp was the record that was going to take them to the next level.well,
getting big and known because of a song that's stolen... wouldn't be a good first impression to the big world, not a good way of marketing yourself if it got
out

mrpelon94

that happens to me alot...out of the blue i will play a random deftones album hear it through and just more like looking at it from a different angle?

snw9

Quote from: nyquil addict on Feb 27, 2010, 06:56 PM
WP is their weakest album after adrenaline. It's a mixed bag.

Strong songs:

Feiteceria
Digitasl bitch
Elite
Street carp
Korea
Change
Piink Maggit
Back 2 school

Weaker songs:

RX QUEEN
Passenager
Teenager
Knife Party
Boy's Republic

As you can see it has a lot of good songs, but S/T has Hexagram, Minerva, WGTB and Bloody Cape and combined they are stronger than all of the good songs on White Pony. Same for SNW.

Pink Maggit, Korea, Street Carp I still listen to after 10 years. So those in particular they stand the test of time

Passenger, Knife Prty and boy's republic aren't weak song...street carp is, theres nothing great about it
Code: [Select]

Vesanic

Guitar in Street Carp is fucking sick.

BillyNo.9

illthrowROCKS@U

At the risk of ostrasizing myself from this community on only my second day posting here, I'm going to say that the only album I like LESS than White Pony is Diamond Eyes.

I was first introduced to Deftones in the Around the Fur era, and at the time I was pretty much exclusively into harder music (I've changed since then, but whatever).  Since ATF I have been dissappointed in every new album until after listening to it for nearly a year, and the original tracks that grab my attention almost never end up being the ones I eventually consider my favorites.  When WP first came out I really only cared for Elite, Korea, and Passenger.  To this very day I am not a big fan of Teenager or Feitecera, they just don't grab me like some of the other ones.  After my few months to a year of listening, as previously mentioned, things changed and I began to enjoy the album much more for what it was.  Elite became too repetative for me; and Street Carp, RX Queen, and Knife Party eventually surfaced as my favorite tracks on this effort.

Now there are a plenty of good things about WP.  When I first started listening they were relatively unknown.  With the exception of Be Quiet and Drive and My Own Summer nobody really knew much about them.. at least in my area, others may have experienced things differently out on the west coast.  I've never been one of those hipster guys who's always going around saying shit like, "Oh them?  Yeah I used to like them.. before they got all mainstream and popular."  I hate those people, they're lame.  I understand some people do sell out, but new and obscure music doesn't always = good music.  Most of my favorite bands and albums are over 10 years old.  After WP came out I was GLAD to see more people listening to my favorite band, It was awesome for me!  It brought in a lot of the softer fans, and lotsa chicks...  And more chicks = more awesomeness at shows  ;)

In the long run tho, after all the dust of my original dislike and eventual acceptance of each of their albums settled ATF, SNW, ST, and Adrenaline have all reigned victorious over WP (in that order actually).  I can appreciate it for what it is and I like it better than most other bands' albums, but on the Deftones scale it just doesn't cut it for me.  I am; however,  currently listening to it and digging it  :D
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem