PALMS [new Chino Moreno side project]

Started by luisch, Apr 25, 2012, 06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbmp1390

Quote from: Jacob on Apr 26, 2012, 08:21 PM
Quote from: from_musings on Apr 26, 2012, 03:40 PM
Quote from: Starz on Apr 26, 2012, 02:58 PM
why the hell not.

"why not" for me would be -  when i listen to deftones, i get a kick out of hearing chino's characteristic voice together with steph's heavy special riffs, a deftones buzz. but if chino's voice can be heard in 10 other bands then the "damn that voice" kick will wear off, it gets watered out. it's been ok with t.s and maybe with crosses since it's mostly electronics, but if palms music is heavy, then when listening to deftones - that "wow feeling" i get cuz of chino's voice combined with heavy guitar, won't be the same any more... because you can hear his vocals to heavy music in other places.everytime chino does something new,deftones gets less and less special to me. and as a deftones fan, to experience that deftones music isn't as special anymore, that's rough man.
if you're a chino fan more than a deftones fan then i can understand the excitement.

yeah, how totally awesome it'd have been if Deftones only released Adrenaline and ATF, then called it quits and none of them ever did any music again.

then only us TRUE deftones fans would know about them and listen to them, and there'd be no girly non-metal music ruining Chino's voice.

wait, even better if he had actually screamed on every song on those two albums. like, all the time. that'd really have showed em how awesome his voice is, because no one would ever have heard him sing!

Thank you Jacob. Dude, you just said everything I was thinking. If musings doesn't like it I don't know why they even bother posting a reply.

Can I use this chair? Seriously can I use it?

from_musings

jump dude, you're just butthurt because of the jacket discussion,leave it to that thread.don't try to make it palms releated in any way.

"simple don't listen to palms" - in theory yes, but you know damn well noone here,including me, could ever manage to not listen to it - "simple" my ass.like i said in another thread - i don't want to hear any clips of the new deftones record before it's out either, but i don't
have the discipline to not listen to it if something was released or leaked, i'm not more than human.i probably will like palms too,isis are great and so are chino.. so what's the problem? it isn't that simple - the question is to what cost?
i would say the problem is that i appreciate and care about deftones too much, and that's why i give a shit.
it's like diamonds, they're expensive and wanted - not only because they're beautiful, but because they're rare.if diamonds could be found at any beach gravel pit,forest etc, then they wouldn't be as desirable.they still look good, but it gets inflation in it. to me this is what is happening to chino's vocals, hearing them in deftones isn't a special experience anymore because they are to be found in side project after side project after side project.
and now - the interaction between chino's voice and steph's heavy riffs might get less special if chino uses his vocals to other heavy riffers.
so, i could like palms, but when i put on a deftones record i won't get blown away by deftones sound because i just listened to another band that also used his voice and heavy guitars. palms will make deftones as a band less interesting. chino doesn't seem to care about that,and if he doesn't care about deftones, why should i?

not only this, also his name isn't as cool anymore when he gives himslef to anyone who wants him too. everyone thought it was cool that maynard was a guest on a deftones record because we knew he wouldn't be a guest of just any band out there, it was an honour for deftones because he's respected, hard to get and he cares about his name. if maynard had showed up in papa roach,nickelback,stained then it wouldn't be as cool that he was on wp.all this mike shinoda,andy what's his name, 30 sec to mars, p.o.d deals is making chino's name less desireable, he really should take care of his name.but i can whine about this in the p.o.d thread.

just wanted to say that eagles look awesome and you would get a kick if you saw one, but if eagles flew around everywhere in ordinary day life,even though they do in fact look great, you would be bored if you saw them after a while.they would be like pigeons .chino, the high flying eagle could be turning into a gutterbird as i see it

Quote from: cEvin Key on Apr 26, 2012, 08:14 PM
That was actually my problem with the team sleep record, I like the demos but some songs on the record were a bit too close to the Deftones for me and that was what made me feel strange about hearing chino on a different band that has more hints of Deftones than it should.

let's hope palms sounds nothing like deftones. i'm just assuming it will sound like isis with chino, but it could be something else.

shoop

people seem to over analyze things I think. Just sit back and enjoy all the groups. less isn't more when it's all quality work.  If an alien came to visit, it'd be the same as if thousands visited and stayed, because they're fucking aliens. loll. I love this board

jbmp1390

Quote from: from_musings on Apr 27, 2012, 12:23 AM
jump dude, you're just butthurt because of the jacket discussion,leave it to that thread.don't try to make it palms releated in any way.

my name is not jump so I don't know why you keep calling me that. And I don't care about your posts in my other thread. I didn't make reference to it in this thread, you did, so you seem to be the one who is, to use your very eloquent term, butthurt. I understand your points, I just also thought Jacob made good points as well. Some of his statements were relevant to most of us on this board at one time or another, in that if we really don't like something, we don't really gain anything by stating that. All we tend to get out of it is a little annoyance if anything. I just didn't see why you bothered to reply if you don't want to hear this new project, but like you said it's unlikely that you'd be able to be on here and not listen to some of it. And I think it really sucks for you that you would let something as simple as chino or any other members having other projects, lessen the impact of the original Deftones sound for you. They're all talented musical guys, should we just expect them to clam up whenever they are not currently recording with the Tones. I don't care about Stephen doing Sol Invicto, or Frank doing his Decibel Devils thing, in fact I think it's great. I'm sure they are interested in other types of music than just the kind they make when they are working together as the Deftones.

downtownpony

I think Chi's accident has a lot to do with Chino's recent increase in collaborations. The whole: Life is short/music is forever comes into play.

Jerry_Curls

There's this bootleg I have that is full of interviews. Got it back in 1999 I believe...anyways, one of the questions asked to Chino was, "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?" and he said, "Doing music in some form"...

He sure as hell has done a lot of music! And I love it!
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

pony_01

Palms and Crosses can't beat Team Sleep or Deftones in any way.

Millennia

Quote from: pony_01 on Apr 27, 2012, 09:15 AM
dude you havent heard palms yet

pony_01

Quote from: Millennia on Apr 27, 2012, 10:03 AM
Quote from: pony_01 on Apr 27, 2012, 09:15 AM
dude you havent heard palms yet

thats why i said it now

rock_n_frost

Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

from_musings

Quote from: jbmp1390 on Apr 27, 2012, 12:50 AM

my name is not jump so I don't know why you keep calling me that. And I don't care about your posts in my other thread. I didn't make reference to it in this thread, you did, so you seem to be the one who is, to use your very eloquent term, butthurt. I understand your points, I just also thought Jacob made good points as well. Some of his statements were relevant to most of us on this board at one time or another, in that if we really don't like something, we don't really gain anything by stating that. All we tend to get out of it is a little annoyance if anything. I just didn't see why you bothered to reply if you don't want to hear this new project, but like you said it's unlikely that you'd be able to be on here and not listen to some of it. And I think it really sucks for you that you would let something as simple as chino or any other members having other projects, lessen the impact of the original Deftones sound for you. They're all talented musical guys, should we just expect them to clam up whenever they are not currently recording with the Tones. I don't care about Stephen doing Sol Invicto, or Frank doing his Decibel Devils thing, in fact I think it's great. I'm sure they are interested in other types of music than just the kind they make when they are working together as the Deftones.

oh. i just quickly thought of jacobs post as someone who had to defend side project nr 12 and come at me with hateful jibberish,didn't read it that carfefully.and then sure enough defendant nr 2 (you) is fast to say "YEA WHAT HE SAID" not because it was good points, but because you still were upset of other things in other threads. you know the "my enemy's enemy is my friend" type of thing.how many times have you not seen this on a board? but maybe it had substance, guess i have to read it again some other time.

to me,1 side project is fine, 2 is really on the border, but any more than that it get a little ridicoulous i think.admit it,from now on when you read "cool name of a band" - new side project from chino moreno! - even you will shake your head a little bit.maybe you will even set aside and make some time for some serious facepalming

E-Money

Quote from: from_musings on Apr 27, 2012, 02:03 PM

oh. i just quickly thought of jacobs post as someone who had to defend side project nr 12 and come at me with hateful jibberish,didn't read it that carfefully.and then sure enough defendant nr 2 (you) is fast to say "YEA WHAT HE SAID" not because it was good points, but because you still were upset of other things in other threads. you know the "my enemy's enemy is my friend" type of thing.how many times have you not seen this on a board? but maybe it had substance, guess i have to read it again some other time.

to me,1 side project is fine, 2 is really on the border, but any more than that it get a little ridicoulous i think.admit it,from now on when you read "cool name of a band" - new side project from chino moreno! - even you will shake your head a little bit.maybe you will even set aside and make some time for some serious facepalming

I'd like him to do as many side projects as possible...

Jacob

haha, you're so full of shit dude. Chino is an artist, he does whatever he wants with his art. besides, this is his job and the way he makes money. I don't think he gives a flying shit about how unique you find his voice to be and how many side-projects you consider is "fine" for him to be in.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

shoop

thread is already full of lolz. no surprise

TheyCallMeP

More Team Sleep, More Team Sleep (chant)

Millennia

Quote from: Jacob on Apr 27, 2012, 08:59 PM

haha, you're so full of shit dude. Chino is an artist, he does whatever he wants with his art. besides, this is his job and the way he makes money. I don't think he gives a flying shit about how unique you find his voice to be and how many side-projects you consider is "fine" for him to be in.

yes!

deftoner664

NEED. MORE. LEGIT INFO... LESS BULLSHAT. SEARCH
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

Corleone

Awesome, two of my favourite bands.

jbmp1390

Dude I don't give a fuck about what you said in that other thread. This thread is not about that so stop bringing it up. I thought Jacob had good points. I don't care that his post was "against" what you said so to speak. I just agreed with what he said. Don't be petty and try to make it more than that. Back to the topic, I look forward to hearing this, and I don't care if Chino has another side project, he can do whatever he wants. I haven't seen any Isis fans freaking out about this and claiming that it dilutes Isis' music.

Hidalgo

"simple don't listen to palms" - in theory yes, but you know damn well noone here,including me, could ever manage to not listen to it - "simple" my ass.like i said in another thread - i don't want to hear any clips of the new deftones record before it's out either, but i don't
have the discipline to not listen to it if something was released or leaked, i'm not more than human.i probably will like palms too,isis are great and so are chino.. so what's the problem? it isn't that simple - the question is to what cost?
i would say the problem is that i appreciate and care about deftones too much, and that's why i give a shit.
it's like diamonds, they're expensive and wanted - not only because they're beautiful, but because they're rare.if diamonds could be found at any beach gravel pit,forest etc, then they wouldn't be as desirable.they still look good, but it gets inflation in it. to me this is what is happening to chino's vocals, hearing them in deftones isn't a special experience anymore because they are to be found in side project after side project after side project.
and now - the interaction between chino's voice and steph's heavy riffs might get less special if chino uses his vocals to other heavy riffers.
so, i could like palms, but when i put on a deftones record i won't get blown away by deftones sound because i just listened to another band that also used his voice and heavy guitars. palms will make deftones as a band less interesting. chino doesn't seem to care about that,and if he doesn't care about deftones, why should i?

not only this, also his name isn't as cool anymore when he gives himslef to anyone who wants him too. everyone thought it was cool that maynard was a guest on a deftones record because we knew he wouldn't be a guest of just any band out there, it was an honour for deftones because he's respected, hard to get and he cares about his name. if maynard had showed up in papa roach,nickelback,stained then it wouldn't be as cool that he was on wp.all this mike shinoda,andy what's his name, 30 sec to mars, p.o.d deals is making chino's name less desireable, he really should take care of his name.but i can whine about this in the p.o.d thread.

just wanted to say that eagles look awesome and you would get a kick if you saw one, but if eagles flew around everywhere in ordinary day life,even though they do in fact look great, you would be bored if you saw them after a while.they would be like pigeons .chino, the high flying eagle could be turning into a gutterbird as i see it

Quote from: cEvin Key on Apr 26, 2012, 08:14 PM
That was actually my problem with the team sleep record, I like the demos but some songs on the record were a bit too close to the Deftones for me and that was what made me feel strange about hearing chino on a different band that has more hints of Deftones than it should.

let's hope palms sounds nothing like deftones. i'm just assuming it will sound like isis with chino, but it could be something else.
funny you bring up 30 secs to mars, cause maynard sang on a 30 secs to mars cd, not Chino HAHA. now what!?

also, maynard is/was the singer of 4 bands. Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty, tool, a perfect circle, puscifer

you obviously didn't know this. know WTF you're talking about before you go into shit

Chino also sings for 4 bands. deftones, team sleep, crosses, palms

but it's a huge problem if Chino does this. OMG! you ride his ass far too much, always something negative to say about him or deftones past 03. it's boarderline anti Chino/deftones behavior. the mr cool guy contrarian crap gets old quick. dissecting and over analysing every move they make with negatively. lame as hell. also maynard has far more money than Chino, so he can afford to stay away from offers to collab. switch their cash flows and maynard would do the same thing. gotta make a living, it's a business. and nothing wrong with Chino collabin even if he did it free. but keep constantly trying to make a fool of Chino/deftones. whine whine whine, bitch bitch bitch, cry cry cry, nothing is ever good enough yea yea yea we got it. it's so badass how contrary you are