Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Who hates the S/T, or thinks it's their worst/weakest effort, and why?

Started by Vesanic, Jun 08, 2012, 01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northcal

Quote from: carnivals empty on Jun 18, 2012, 08:37 PM
Hey guys new member here to the boards, but been a fan of Deftones since WP . ST is an amazing album I have loved it since it came out. Recently I have been listening to it more and more and I still love it :)
welcome to the drama that is SL.welcome to the pit,lol

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

bangbang240

I wouldn't call myself a "Self Sitled Hater" but I don't quite agree with the massive amount of love it's been given so far.

The Good
First off, Anniversary is one of my favorite things that Deftones have ever done. It is such an open, airy, and emotionally powerful song in my opinion. I definitely like the album but I think that it has more to do with my Deftones experiences around that time. I think I saw them play seven times that summer, including the incredibly awesome mini-club-tour they did, I was at the Nita's Hideaway - Tempe, Arizona, performance. It is hands down the best Deftones show I was ever at. I was also on such a Deftones high coming off White Pony that I thought they could do no wrong.

I remember waiting in line at a record store at midnight to get my copy, which I preordered at the club show. (Side note - Remember those days of music? I miss that.) I also got to be a part of the Hexagram shoot which is another one of a kind Deftones experience for me. At the time, I absolutely loved this record which leads me to...

The Bad

It seems that for most people the record grew on them over the years. It was the opposite for me. As time went on, I began to seperate my Deftones fandom of 2003 from the actual record and now I can hear the complaints that people have with the record. The writing does come off as lazy and uninspired in parts. I am talking technically though, not emotionally. I don't think the deftones are capable of not capturing emotion in their music. I love the Terry Date production style but this may be the record he over-polished in my opinion. I remember reading how hard of a time Terry Date had of motivating the guys to work and not just sit around smoking weed all day. I can hear this in the music. It's not the fact that the record is so dark, I actually find that to be one of the best parts. Looking back, I now feel that creatively, this was a step backwards from White Pony. I just feel that if the band was in a better state at the time of writing the record they could have blown people's minds after first opening them with White Pony.

Overall though, this is the criticism of an incredibly huge Deftones fan that does like S/T as well as all the albums although I find SNW to be the weakest. I just don't quite understand how come the record seems to be the majority favorite of the Sharing Lungs crowd.

976-EVIL

One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

Nebontha

QuoteU will prob b bopping your head to SNW later on in life
A few songs perhaps maybe okay yeah.  But the whole album?  Definitely not so much...
QuoteKKK=Good?

Motherfucking racists.

Bza々

Quote from: iceache on Jun 08, 2012, 03:44 PM
White Pony's my favorite. But there's just something that makes me love S/T every time I hear it.. minus lucky you and replace it with Lovers... and that's the perfect album for me. From the opening riff of Hexagram to the closing riff in Moana. Straight up heavy shit. Also, I think SNW is their shittiest. Even the band has to believe that lol.

There's a video of some fat bitch interviewing them saying the same shit about SNW and Chino verbatim states "that's your opinion" and has a look of pre-meditated murder on his face. SNW is a dope album, anyone who hates on is just mentally inferior.

blondie

Quote from: Bza々 on Jul 09, 2012, 08:36 PM
SNW is a dope album, anyone who hates on is just mentally inferior.

or maybe they're not drones and like anything deftones put out by default.

Bza々

Quote from: blondie on Jul 09, 2012, 08:59 PM

Or maybe it's a unique album that wasn't supposed to sound like anything they've put out that takes a lil more intellect to appreciate? I'm guessing you're not on that level, carry on.

Bza々

Quote from: Bza々 on Jul 09, 2012, 09:03 PM
Quote from: blondie on Jul 09, 2012, 08:59 PM

Or maybe it's a unique album that wasn't supposed to sound like anything they've put out that takes a lil more intellect to appreciate? I'm guessing you're not on that level, carry on.

Didn't mean to come in and argue about SNW, i know plenty of people don't like it, me being partial to Team Sleep and the ambient sound of them, I prefer SNW deftones. I was just pointing out to the kid I quoted who thinks the deftones don't like SNW that they actually defend it 110% when people diss it.

blondie

Quote from: Bza々 on Jul 09, 2012, 09:21 PM
Didn't mean to come in and argue about SNW, i know plenty of people don't like it, me being partial to Team Sleep and the ambient sound of them, I prefer SNW deftones.

but it sounds nothing like team sleep...???

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

opinions. unfortunately nobody gets that hardly, here at sl. :'( SNW is great, love it. Did I say that already? :-\
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

pinkmaggit

I think that ATF and the ST are their two best albums.
I think that my taste is different to a lot of other Deftones fans in that WP is my 2nd least favourite after Adrenaline (yes I do prefer SNW to WP!).
Everyone has their own opinions and tastes so no point bitching about it.

I do battle sometimes to understand how some Deftones fans can hate ST, to me it's a quintessential Deftones album so I don't really get how they can hate something that for me really encompasses what the band is all about but that's hpw it is and I just accept it.
It would be arrogant to say to people that my opinion matters more than theirs.

I have a friend whom I tried to get listening to Deftones - he wouldn't even bother, saying that WP was their only good album and everything else they've done is crap, which I don't really get because all though they have changed and evolved from album to album, there hasn't really been a huge radical departure in their sound.

I think that  some people who became fans after WP were expecting more of the same and ended up being disappointed.
I urge people like this to give the album another try without any preconceived ideas on how it should sound./

dr.dre

s/t has been my favorite album since release.
maybe its the nostalgia of that time