Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Who hates the S/T, or thinks it's their worst/weakest effort, and why?

Started by Vesanic, Jun 08, 2012, 01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

from_musings

Quote from: Vesanic on Jun 08, 2012, 05:20 PM
Haha, dude, each topic of this board has probably ten copies of itself. We'll never be able to make people stop creating topics that already exist.

just tried to not make it eleven. people will never stop killing each other but that doesn't mean it's acceptable, always fight for the right thing  ::)

Deadradio

from_musings

yeah.. like i love deathblow, one of their saddest songs their ever wrote.kinda slow pace while chino sounding really grief stricken... and then BAM - wgtb with some brutal skull cracking riffs while chino screaming his lungs out,sounding so desperate and miserable. many different aspects of darkness like this on this record

therealdaebat

Saturday Night Wrist was their weakest effort.  Self Titled had so much depth and I could never understand why people hated on it.  I have it on vinyl and listen to it regularly.
---------------------------------------------------------------
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

http://reddit.com/r/deftones

UrZ*

It's good album, good ideas, good riffs... but sometimes it's lazy yeah.. some songs are so bland and don't have anything going for them really. It's not weak or hated..
And somewhere, There's someone who cares. With a heart of gold, To have and to hold.

from_musings

Quote from: therealdaebat on Jun 08, 2012, 07:17 PM
Saturday Night Wrist was their weakest effort.

i love deftones with a passion, but that album sucked all the way, in every way

Northcal

S/t = beautiful depresive musica,a rainy day  :'(classic

deftoolsys07

Quote from: from_musings on Jun 09, 2012, 01:10 AM

Funny, I actually just popped SNW in my car today for the first time in years. Some decent tracks, but definitely my least favorite album. It was a very forgettable record. Thus being the reason I hadn't listened to it in years hahaha...
Check out my soundcloud/ facebook page with some music...

http://soundcloud.com/dan-koetter/

Vesanic

rufas

[youtube]<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI/{SIMPLETEXT}"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param>

Corleone

I like the whole album minus Good morning Beautiful. The production is top notch, even lucky you is really good for what it is.

from_musings

lucky you makes the record a little more diverse by being spacey and electronic, but again - it still has a great darkness to it and it's heavy in it's own way. those haunting, eeire melodies gives me the chills. the song kinda pauses the journey for a while and put you in a different weird place where you don't know where you are and you get this lost,claustrophobic feeling.and i love it. once the song's is over and you "get out for air" another sledgehammar of misery hits you. i think bloody cape is brilliantly placed after lucky you, the opening chords to b.c fits so damn well

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: from_musings on Jun 09, 2012, 01:10 AM

I remember a few people here in the past not being in love w ST as they are now. It grew on them. U will prob b bopping your head to SNW later on in life just as u have w other records and the rest of us as well. Hated SNW myself at first listen but I enjoy it thoroughly now. A lot of u SNW haters will end up "getting" it. Even if it's bc u have burnt yourself outta the others...u will crave some Deftones and it will happen most likely I think. Or not
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

sing blue silver

My bands drummer doesn't like S/T or SNW all that much for the same reasons a lot of people don't like those albums. I love them because I felt they were so left of centre and just like nothing Deftones had done before. That's also why a lot of people hate them.
They took a lot of risks making those records and with White Pony taking those kind of risks worked but that album is much less dark (I feel) than S/T and, to a lesser extent, SNW. You can play White Pony at a party with your friends and get away with it. S/T has a lot of somber feeling and melancholic songs on it and that turns some people off. Personally, thats a big reason why it's my favorite record.
Also I always thought S/T was where Terry Date really got it right. Spot on production throughout the entire record. Stephen's guitars in particular stand out to me (ex. Hexagram, Battle Axe, Bloody Cape). Losing Terry on SNW had a bigger impact than some might think. That change in how they sound on record really turned people off of SNW.
In closing, I can understand why people don't like these two records but honestly, they're my two favorite Deftones albums and two of my favorite all time albums by any band.

from_musings

i think adrenaline and around the fur can be lumped into a 2 when speaking of records, but st and snw has nothing in common soundwise to me. i agree on what you said about the production though, it's very important

from_musings

Quote from: DEFinatelydeftones,fsho on Jun 09, 2012, 02:45 PM
U will prob b bopping your head to SNW later on in life

long story short, i know myself and know why i dislike it and this won't happen.

sing blue silver

Quote from: from_musings on Jun 09, 2012, 03:24 PM
i think adrenaline and around the fur can be lumped into a 2 when speaking of records, but st and snw has nothing in common soundwise to me. i agree on what you said about the production though, it's very important

The sound of S/T and SNW differs greatly, I always kind of lump them together because I get that "dark days of deftones" feeling from both of them and they seem to be the two least liked albums among casual fans.

from_musings

the causal deftones listeners that dig back to school and change don't make out the rules :P and the dark days term only exist because deftones and the media said so with words,there's no connection in the music (maybe buffalo/finger of death but it got scrapped, perhaps because they wanted to distance themselves from the s/t record even more) but since the actual music comes first,not the circumstances in the band members lives, i personally think it's misleading to lump those records together. i think that if a best record poll at this board would be done now, s/t wouldn't be among the last two,it probably would be snw and d.e. maybe st would beat adrenaline too.

deftones86

S/T is probably my second favorite after ATF. maybe its because i've played out White Pony. I've given it a break for awhile. But battle-axe is the best track in my opinion. Abes drums sound fucking thunderous in the intro.