Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Who hates the S/T, or thinks it's their worst/weakest effort, and why?

Started by Vesanic, Jun 08, 2012, 01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deftoner664

Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

BillyNo.9

downtownpony

I played battle-axe on a jukebox at a bar last fucking night. I spent a good while trying to decide between that and WGTB.

Do yall have a particular deftones song that you like to play when you're at a bar?

Robotsatemygrandma

I know the question is specifically pointed at people who view this album as the weakest, but I must confess I can understand why it isn't a favorite.

It's a pretty immature effort. Not in a attacking manner, but in a, birthed before it could of been fully conceived. Half baked ideas, really.

But then again, I think there might of been some reasoning behind it. Like, oh let's add some filler songs to make certain other songs stand out.

Or maybe the label was like... hey bitches, we releasing this NAOs!

Deftones-argentina

There are 2 categories for deftones fans,
The ones who dislike S/T, and the ones who dislike SNW.
And i LOVE SNW (minus a song or two that are horrible), so by contrast S/T is the weakest effort for me. It's kind of monotone (if you like the feeling the record gives you, that can be a positive thing for you).
Also it's the first record they pulled out after white pony, it's obvious it was going be punished until death by critics and fans.

Northcal

Quote from: downtownpony on Jun 10, 2012, 01:46 AM
I played battle-axe on a jukebox at a bar last fucking night. I spent a good while trying to decide between that and WGTB.

Do yall have a particular deftones song that you like to play when you're at a bar?
as soon as I walk in to the pool hall I play my own summer and change every fucking time even the manager knows when those songs are on im so fucking there

iceache

Quote from: Northcal on Jun 10, 2012, 03:52 AM

as soon as I walk in to the pool hall I play my own summer and change every fucking time even the manager knows when those songs are on im so fucking there

Northcal

Quote from: iceache on Jun 10, 2012, 04:56 AM

Quote from: Northcal on Jun 10, 2012, 03:52 AM

hehe throw up throw up
Kalifornia love my nigga pac woud Love that shittt

from_musings

Quote from: Robotsatemygrandma on Jun 10, 2012, 02:46 AM
I know the question is specifically pointed at people who view this album as the weakest, but I must confess I can understand why it isn't a favorite.
It's a pretty immature effort. Not in a attacking manner, but in a, birthed before it could of been fully conceived. Half baked ideas, really.
But then again, I think there might of been some reasoning behind it. Like, oh let's add some filler songs to make certain other songs stand out.
Or maybe the label was like... hey bitches, we releasing this NAOs!

i think s/t was a step forward in maturity.. i think of wp as the younger brother trying to be this pretentious artsy emo kid, very concern about how to look to the outside world, acting emo as a facade because the image is cool to him,kinda insecure.while st is the older metal brother who grew up and doesn't give a shit,he is who he is and the dark cloud that's over him is very real,no frills, very honest and straight forward because of balls

daebat

Quote from: Vesanic on Jun 09, 2012, 10:57 AM
Rivière doesn't suck, you crazy bitches.

There are definitely some gems but I felt like the album was poorly put together.   Cherry Waves, Mein, and Pink Cellphone should have been b-sides.  They're good songs but not deftones album worthy.

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: from_musings on Jun 08, 2012, 05:45 PM
yeah.. like i love deathblow, one of their saddest songs their ever wrote.kinda slow pace while chino sounding really grief stricken... and then BAM - wgtb with some brutal skull cracking riffs while chino screaming his lungs out,sounding so desperate and miserable. many different aspects of darkness like this on this record
nice way to look at it, it's the record for me that I can't explain one way. I just love it and try not to look into it too deep to preserve the unknown for myself. It's fresh still when I hear it every time! That's the kicker for me..
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

My wife surprised me w Riviere at our wedding.....beautiful but not a wedding song I think. Was cool though, my mom n a cpl friends asked me who it was and that it was nice besides the breakdown twd the end. The dj wrote it down! Grrrrrreat song fsho.

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: sing blue silver on Jun 09, 2012, 03:04 PM
My bands drummer doesn't like S/T or SNW all that much for the same reasons a lot of people don't like those albums. I love them because I felt they were so left of centre and just like nothing Deftones had done before. That's also why a lot of people hate them.
They took a lot of risks making those records and with White Pony taking those kind of risks worked but that album is much less dark (I feel) than S/T and, to a lesser extent, SNW. You can play White Pony at a party with your friends and get away with it. S/T has a lot of somber feeling and melancholic songs on it and that turns some people off. Personally, thats a big reason why it's my favorite record.
Also I always thought S/T was where Terry Date really got it right. Spot on production throughout the entire record. Stephen's guitars in particular stand out to me (ex. Hexagram, Battle Axe, Bloody Cape). Losing Terry on SNW had a bigger impact than some might think. That change in how they sound on record really turned people off of SNW.
In closing, I can understand why people don't like these two records but honestly, they're my two favorite Deftones albums and two of my favorite all time albums by any band.
Damn. Had I seen this first I wouldnt have posted anything but THIS. Thanks! Spot on for me. My favs as well I think

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: Deftones-argentina on Jun 10, 2012, 03:23 AM
There are 2 categories for deftones fans,
The ones who dislike S/T, and the ones who dislike SNW.
And i LOVE SNW (minus a song or two that are horrible), so by contrast S/T is the weakest effort for me. It's kind of monotone (if you like the feeling the record gives you, that can be a positive thing for you).
Also it's the first record they pulled out after white pony, it's obvious it was going be punished until death by critics and fans.
Nah, I don't fit either and I'm not alone liking both. Maybe here besides 1 other fan, but I don't get that at all what u mean by it. Good call on the WP to ST thing. I really believe that too bc I anticipated that myself while opening the plastic wrap on ST before smoking down n popping it in. I remember where I was, how much ganja I had and what I was wearing. Hardon first listen. Never heard anything like it or at least never anticipated another music source so much in my life than that moment. ::)

Caín

There's 1000 reasons to hate s/t. The most important of all is that the record is uninspired.

Vesanic

Quote from: Caín on Jun 11, 2012, 12:58 PM
There's 1000 reasons to hate s/t. The most important of all is that the record is uninspired.

Aaaaand here we go.

lostpilot

BRING IT ON BITCH. TELL ME 1000 REASONS S/T IS BAD.

downtownpony

from_musings

Quote from: DEFinatelydeftones,fsho on Jun 10, 2012, 09:34 PM
My wife surprised me w Riviere at our wedding.....beautiful but not a wedding song I think. Was cool though, my mom n a cpl friends asked me who it was and that it was nice besides the breakdown twd the end. The dj wrote it down! Grrrrrreat song fsho.

if i would've been at that wedding i would be like "meh... should've been a b-side" once it played

Northcal

Quote from: lostpilot on Jun 11, 2012, 01:36 PM

BRING IT ON BITCH. TELL ME 1000 REASONS S/T IS BAD.
lol 1000 damm I was thinking more like *lucky you* that's all