Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Who hates the S/T, or thinks it's their worst/weakest effort, and why?

Started by Vesanic, Jun 08, 2012, 01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sugar_Skill

I FUCKING love the Self Titled album,  I still think it should have been called "Lovers" though that's a better title. But the album really has a good album oriented feel to it. I guess it's monotone but I think that's kind of the point, to give it this overall mood. I also think it's the heaviest album. It's got this super low tuning and the riffs are just fuckin monster. It just doesn't seem that way because everything is so slow and Chino vox are so melodic. Overall the album has a haunting sound and I can play it all the way through.

deftoner664

Quote from: Northcal on Jun 11, 2012, 05:44 PM
Quote from: lostpilot on Jun 11, 2012, 01:36 PM
Quote from: Caín on Jun 11, 2012, 12:58 PM
There's 1000 reasons to hate s/t. The most important of all is that the record is uninspired.

BRING IT ON BITCH. TELL ME 1000 REASONS S/T IS BAD.
lol 1000 damm I was thinking more like *lucky you* that's all

lmao! babble babble bitch bitch... Really??? I think people are just dissecting every crevice of that album like a crack head who dropped a rock in a hay barn. The album is so eclectic, so raw, and dark.. How can you fucking like Deftones  and not like Self-titled... I mean... Wtf?
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

Hidalgo

i certainly don't hate the album, not by a long shot. i love every deftones album. for the longest time s/t was my least fav, but it has moved ahead of SNW in my mind, so it's 2nd to last. the album just feels odd, i've always thought Chino didn't have alot of good ideas & melodies(writers block of sorts), & he is off key the most of any album(his worst sounding album). the way this place worships the album like it's their masterpiece annoys me, it's good but far from their best, far far from it. and saying it's the heaviest album is just dumb, adrenaline & around the fur are way way way heavier. even like linus is heavier by far. and saying it's so dark or the darkest deftones album doesn't fly with me either. WP is just as dark if not darker. the lyrics in WP songs are pretty damn dark if you think ST is dark. not darker at all (as if dark equalls amazing anyway), the dark vibe is fine by me(most of their stuff before the album was dark anyway), just the songwriting wasn't up to par with the first 3 albums. less memorable moments, less signature songs. the album lacks alot of good hooks, usually 2 riffs per song. the best song of that era by far in my opinion is Lovers & it was left off the album (so ST has no claim to Lovers). GMB is annoying at times(alot of the off key singin can be unless i'm really in the mood) the album sounds more like a b-sides record. a it was just a major disssapointment after 3 masterpieces like adrenaline, ATF & WP in a row. but ST is def solid, bloody cape is pretty damn bangin, battle-axe rocks. of the 2 7 string albums the 7 string sounds the best here. and for it's flaws it's unique.

(first 5 here is hard to chooose from, tied for best almost, deftones at their best)

adrenaline
around the fur
white pony
diamomd eyes
like linus

(then these are well behind the first 5 listed, but still damn good stuff)

deftones
saturday night wrist

to make myself clear, i don't hate the album (i really quite enjoy it, it's a top 30 album of all time for me easily, but my 5 fav deftones albums are top 10 all time), & it's not my least fav(SNW is, but i still love SNW too). so i can't be called a ST hater, just not a total worshiper comparied to other albums by them

i feel like this thread was made just to blow ST some more & dog anyone out who opposses, lol (ST cult)

from_musings

this is the bashing thread so it's fine that we get some other opinions than pure love for this record. but when you say that "like linus is heavier by far" it just makes you seem like a mongoloid cretin.you know? i wish that you would erase that line,otherwise no one will take you serious in any other opinion in that post.
just a tip - don't be mad.. only trying to help

Hidalgo

well even the great Jason Vorhees was a mongoloid & he rules, so that's fine

i stand by it, like linus as a whole is heavier. far less mellow tunes

from_musings

anyway it's nice to see that someone put adrenaline at the top of the list, i don't see that so often around here. it's not just my favorite deftones album, it is my favorite album of all time. i do think self titled is much heavier though

from_musings

so the two self titled haters cain and hidalgo had said their opinions. to sum it up, they say that it's uninspired and lazy. i think it's about that they don't care for dark,sad,gloomy stuff. one example is buffalo/finger of death, it's anything but lazy and uninspired - it has many different parts,high's and lows,soft and heavy, intro's and breakdowns, awesome melodies, screams and packed with emotion. i'm pretty sure they don't care for that song either. because dark,sad,gloomy. just like self titled

from_musings

Quote from: Hidalgo on Jun 11, 2012, 07:03 PM
i feel like this thread was made just to blow ST some more & dog anyone out who opposses, lol (ST cult)

Inkblades

Penicks

luisch

Deathblow, Battle-Axe, Hexagram... whole the record is amazing.

Period.
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

Caín

Quote from: from_musings on Jun 11, 2012, 08:39 PM
so the two self titled haters cain and hidalgo had said their opinions. to sum it up, they say that it's uninspired and lazy. i think it's about that they don't care for dark,sad,gloomy stuff. one example is buffalo/finger of death, it's anything but lazy and uninspired - it has many different parts,high's and lows,soft and heavy, intro's and breakdowns, awesome melodies, screams and packed with emotion. i'm pretty sure they don't care for that song either. because dark,sad,gloomy. just like self titled

Buffalo/Finger of Death would have been on of the best deftones songs. You guessed wrong.

Here are some reasons I dislike the record

-uncreative
-over produced
-not a bit sexual/sensual
-almost no memorable riffs or hooks
-terrible melodies from chino
-bad lyrics with a few exceptions
-lacks energy
-not very cohesive as a record
-bad running order
-vocals too processed, too many filters
-bad cover art
-etc.

luisch

Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

lostpilot

Quote from: Caín on Jun 12, 2012, 08:21 AM

-uncreative
-over produced
-not a bit sexual/sensual
-almost no memorable riffs or hooks
-terrible melodies from chino
-lacks energy
-not very cohesive as a record
-bad running order
-vocals too processed, too many filters
-bad cover art
-etc.

sir, you have no soul

from_musings

Buffalo/Finger of Death would have been on of the best deftones songs. You guessed wrong.

ok then  :)

from_musings

Quote from: Penicks on Jun 12, 2012, 06:51 AM
Quote from: Hidalgo on Jun 11, 2012, 07:23 PMi stand by it, like linus as a whole is heavier. far less mellow tunes

Deftones- Gift

deftones - answers

day-um. steph must have used an 8 string on like linus, it's so heavy

pony_01

"You too tired. You choose heaven over the earth, and me. But come on, please."
this is incredible lyrics! what do you mean?

from_musings

look, i don't agree on one single thing on cain's list, but to use one line like this when he said "with a few execptions" isn't right i think