Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Tour: Live guide + video footage

Started by Vesanic, Jul 26, 2012, 06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeftonesNZ

That's a sad situation but I can't just believe it's Chino being a dick there's just so many reasons why they might not have been able to play it ,it's pretty difficult to ask a band hours before a gig to play a song they probably haven't played in over 10 years might happen at the upcoming gigs though, tonight was probably just too short notice making it logistically impossible too many things like lights and having the right gear to get sorted.

slyartwork

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Feb 23, 2013, 10:57 AM
That's a sad situation but I can't just believe it's Chino being a dick there's just so many reasons why they might not have been able to play it ,it's pretty difficult to ask a band hours before a gig to play a song they probably haven't played in over 10 years might happen at the upcoming gigs though, tonight was probably just too short notice making it logistically impossible too many things like lights and having the right gear to get sorted.

Amen
DUTCH DEFTONES FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/dutchdeftones

DUTCH DEFTONES TUMBLR: http://dutchdeftones.tumblr.com

ARTWORK SITE: www.slyartwork.com

defsteve

Quote from: slyartwork on Feb 23, 2013, 10:49 AM
UH OHHH... Vesanic's story on facebook:

For the little story, I'm not going to explain how, but I got to talk to Chino in a "private" space for a couple. I had the chance to tell him about my everlasting love for Pink Maggit since White Pony came out. I told him about everything I did for the Deftones community. Not to brag about it, but just to let him know that for so long, I had been faithfully devoted to the band and the community. I gave him my truest self and told him about how the album saved my life, in a physical way. Those who read my winning story on the sharinglungs contest know. I shared with him a very sincere aspect of my life. Straight up to my face, he said they would play it. He did.

Eventually, the first Paris show was the most terrible Deftones show I've ever been to. The setlist was lame, Chino's voice was in dust and he skipped or changed many, many parts. The setlist was lame as shit, they skipped Nosebleed, and they didn't even include Rivière. Most people didn't even know Dai The Flu.

Long story short, Chino lied to me, and it's not the first time. I would never ask an artist to listen to everything their fans tell him. But I'd have him telling me he doesn't want to play it rather than telling me he will just to get rid of an annoying fan.

Chino Moreno has changed as an artist. His onstage act is not the same anymore, the fans aren't the same anymore, everything's changed. Tonight will be my last Deftones show. If people disagree, see me as an annoying, unfaithful fan, I don't give a shit. Chino wasted one of his most devoted fans, and he doesn't even give a fuck.

Wow.
Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

Longstem

Somebody smart once told me : "Never meet your idols"
To this day I believe very strong in this and the above experience from Ves confirms this.

Ves... don't take it personally. Deftones meet a thousands of fans a year. We each have their love for them, our personal story we want to share with them and they can't be in to all this.
Deftones is a unpolitical band, they communicate very little and when they do this  is very carefully, they don't support any social movement.
They sincerly don't want to be taken very seriously.. they just want to play their music and entertain people. Don't make more of it.

nineteen

Well, he was probably set on playing it personally but things could have got in the way, like other band members disagreeing or like what was said above by DeftonesNZ. We just don't know.

And yes, of course Chino has changed and of course the fans have changed. It happens to almost every band and is out of their control. The music they write is from different inspirations and experiences along with age and ability and is like any artist making their work. The difference in fans is just down to new people checking them out which certainly isn't a bad thing. We were all new fans once.

But anyway, this certainly wouldn't take away the feeling of being let-down by them not playing a song that was held in such high regard (especially after it was agreed).

defsteve

If last night was his last ever Deftones show, imagine if they played it tonight!

That would be fucking hilarious. Haha.

defsteve

WithoutMyJade

Apparently Jason of Letlive. performed Headup with Deftones recently. Video??

http://instagr.am/p/WEyliKQu3A/
Oz... if you come within 25 miles of my house, I will back a car over your head 75 times.

TheShade1989

For the little story, I'm not going to explain how, but I got to talk to Chino in a "private" space for a couple. I had the chance to tell him about my everlasting love for Pink Maggit since White Pony came out. I told him about everything I did for the Deftones community. Not to brag about it, but just to let him know that for so long, I had been faithfully devoted to the band and the community. I gave him my truest self and told him about how the album saved my life, in a physical way. Those who read my winning story on the sharinglungs contest know. I shared with him a very sincere aspect of my life. Straight up to my face, he said they would play it. He did.

Eventually, the first Paris show was the most terrible Deftones show I've ever been to. The setlist was lame, Chino's voice was in dust and he skipped or changed many, many parts. The setlist was lame as shit, they skipped Nosebleed, and they didn't even include Rivière. Most people didn't even know Dai The Flu.

Long story short, Chino lied to me, and it's not the first time. I would never ask an artist to listen to everything their fans tell him. But I'd have him telling me he doesn't want to play it rather than telling me he will just to get rid of an annoying fan.

Chino Moreno has changed as an artist. His onstage act is not the same anymore, the fans aren't the same anymore, everything's changed. Tonight will be my last Deftones show. If people disagree, see me as an annoying, unfaithful fan, I don't give a shit. Chino wasted one of his most devoted fans, and he doesn't even give a fuck.

Oh my God, a human being has changed over time with age and life experience??? Kill that bastard, how dare his onstage act and his fans change. Jeez, he's not fucked up on coke and getting drunk on stage, being all dark and moody and changing the songs every night, and ppl are whining about it? Yeah, it sucks Chino lied, but as he said, it isnt the first time. Maybe there's a good reason, maybe there's no reason, but they've been playing repetitive setlists for a few yrs now, did anyone expect them to start switching it up frm this point on just because Vesanic shared part of his life with them? And the fans being different, that's hardly their fault. They're making music they wanna make, it's different than it used to be in a lotta ways, so some of their older fans arent gonna like it, and some new fans are gonna love it. It is what it is. Sounds to me like he wants a time machine to live in one specific era, but that's too bad, because time moves forward, and so do ppl, as individuals, as musicians, etc. They're not music-making machines, they have feelings and thoughts and opinions, they dont stay in the same place.

normsteez

I understand that they might need to practice it before they play. I know that I won't be making long drives anymore to see the band unless they start changing setlist. Sure I will go see them if they play in my city, but the days of taking long trips and spending mad money to see them are done for me.
May 28, 2000 HFSTIVAL
May 4, 2003 9:30 Club
Oct. 20, 2004 9:30 Club
March 2, 2006 9:30 Club
Dec. 4, 2006 9:30 Club
June 4, 2007 9:30 Club
September 2, 2010 Norva
May 15, 2011 Sonar
May 16, 2011 Sonar
October 26, 2012 Rams Head Live

http://normsteez.tumblr.com/

UrZ*

Gotta agree on the setlist being lame and the performance from Chino is sometimes pretty bad (Feiticeira high notes, Entombed chorus....)

Cant be mad for them not playing Pink Maggit.. I was in on the whole Amsterdam thing.. We all tweeted and RTed stuff about setlists.. But it didn't really go well for them now did it? I mean Combat and Boys Republic were awesome for us diehard fans.. but the other fans don't really know the songs that well.. and for the band themselves? Well (Stef) didn't look too happy about it..

So why would Stef, someone who supposedly wants them to be as perfect as possible, agree to play a song they haven't ever fully played and 13 years ago when they did only played it partially?

Sergio doesn't know the song, does Frank have the effects, does everyone know his parts? How about lights? Changing a setlist to fit the song in? Do they know the structure, riffs, lyrics??

I just read this and it was kind of pretentious to assume that they would, just because one random fan asks...

Ask Sergio to hum the song, maybe he doesn't even know it! ;-)

my 2 ct
And somewhere, There's someone who cares. With a heart of gold, To have and to hold.

closertothelung

Don't know if Sly or anyone mentioned this yet, but Romain got to talk to Stef today, and he said that they wouldn't be playing it because he "couldn't get the right tone". Which is fair enough. I'm just glad that a straight answer has been given, rather than more false hope.

I do hope they change up the set in some way tonight, and not just for his sake.

Quote from: TheShade1989 on Feb 23, 2013, 02:38 PM
They're not music-making machines, they have feelings and thoughts and opinions, they dont stay in the same place.

I think that's the point, though--they're acting like machines, in a sense. They're simply going through the motions, playing the same robotic set, their music and antics becoming more "formulaic" than ever, and so on. I know that I don't see any spontaneity, or even simply emotion in what they do anymore, and haven't seen that in a few years.

sooniletugo

Fair enough if they couldn't play it for whatever reason, but they could have apologised or Chino could have not got his hopes up unless he was certain they could play it. So that's pretty shit in my book. I was at the first show on the tour and I expected the setlist to only get better as the tour continued, but it's just getting worse from the looks of things, with them cutting songs like Romantic Dreams rather than adding in more new ones. I've said many times before how I think it's unreasonable to demand them to switch up the setlist all the time but this is pretty lame I have to say. They've hit a bit of a slump here. Can't fault Ves for being fed up.

slyartwork

Things get blown out of proportion. If Stef said that, fair enough indeed! I would have asked Stef right away to just play ANOTHER different (less played) song hahah.
DUTCH DEFTONES FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/dutchdeftones

DUTCH DEFTONES TUMBLR: http://dutchdeftones.tumblr.com

ARTWORK SITE: www.slyartwork.com

WithoutMyJade

I understand that it was an emotional discussion about why the song meant a great deal to you, and I am sure he was appreciative that you cared so much, but isnt it just possible that he simply FORGOT? There are probably dozens of things that he needed to do prior to going on stage, some likely more pressing than remembering to change one song on the setlist, and maybe since the set was already written, he forgot to update it.

You tell me that you've never made the mistake of forgetting something important... because you'd be the first.
Oz... if you come within 25 miles of my house, I will back a car over your head 75 times.

nineteen

Also, don't forget; For many fans on this tour it will be the first time they are hearing these songs live.

They could put just one rare song in to shake things up a bit but not much we can do. I personally could listen to them play whatever.

one weak

Quote from: Longstem on Feb 23, 2013, 01:09 PM
Somebody smart once told me : "Never meet your idols"
To this day I believe very strong in this and the above experience from Ves confirms this.

Ves... don't take it personally. Deftones meet a thousands of fans a year. We each have their love for them, our personal story we want to share with them and they can't be in to all this.
Deftones is a unpolitical band, they communicate very little and when they do this  is very carefully, they don't support any social movement.
They sincerly don't want to be taken very seriously.. they just want to play their music and entertain people. Don't make more of it.

well said

jaypayton

time to delete sharing the lungs....

theres a famous story about a guy who was a huge faith no more fan, he was obsessed with them and then one night during their show in amsterdam, he ran onstage and got tackled by mike patton and after that,. the guy disowned the band and got rid of all his memorabilia etc.....

Its kind of a dick thing to do, to meet a band then tell them their setlists are boring, even if its true...their own friends dont have the balls to tell them that stuff

I do agree the fans have changed...poser central

jv_

boohoo.
everyone should just be glad theyre even still making music and performing. they had the choice to continue or drop everything once chi got into that accident. complaining about their setlist and not playing 1 song that meant so much to you is ridiculous

Visitant

LOL!!!
"I really can't help it.  It's either this or prison."