Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Koi No Yokan thread

Started by Vesanic, Sep 10, 2012, 11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: jaypayton on May 21, 2013, 09:43 PM
sell out piece of shit album....deftones were 1995-2006....the last 2 albums has taken them into Chili Peppers land (more "mature mellow commercial" songs, critic darlings, newbie fans and alienating their old fanbase)....
Really man sell out piece of shit? yeah they were really trying to cater to the masses when the used 8 string in e tuning, get the fuck over yourself it's great music,your not compatible with the new stuff and that's fine but have some fucking respect about, don't shit talk the band like that comparing them to RHCP these guys are still killing , You just sound like a guy who listens to one narrow scope of angry bitter music and anything outside that makes you uncomfortable one day you'll widen your scope a bit and realises what's out there musically, what do you expect from them as this point anyway? they matured gracefully. most other bands just keep doing the same shit and then just fade away. look at Korn for a good comparision, how Deftones how managed to stay consistently relevant despite changing trends is amazing they don't need to keep doing the old shit to please you, you're insignificant now because for every old fan that thinks that new stuff is soft a new one comes along.

only pieces remain

sell out piece of shit album....deftones were 1995-2006....the last 2 albums has taken them into Chili Peppers land (more "mature mellow commercial" songs, critic darlings, newbie fans and alienating their old fanbase)....

you and swervecityusa should hang out sometime...

jaypayton

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on May 22, 2013, 01:04 AM
Really man sell out piece of shit? yeah they were really trying to cater to the masses when the used 8 string in e tuning, get the fuck over yourself it's great music,your not compatible with the new stuff and that's fine but have some fucking respect about, don't shit talk the band like that comparing them to RHCP these guys are still killing , You just sound like a guy who listens to one narrow scope of angry bitter music and anything outside that makes you uncomfortable one day you'll widen your scope a bit and realises what's out there musically, what do you expect from them as this point anyway? they matured gracefully. most other bands just keep doing the same shit and then just fade away. look at Korn for a good comparision, how Deftones how managed to stay consistently relevant despite changing trends is amazing they don't need to keep doing the old shit to please you, you're insignificant now because for every old fan that thinks that new stuff is soft a new one comes along.

I expect them to push boundaries and try new things that are experimental...NOT do the same old thing (like Korn)...NOT make the music more commercial and mellow (like they have done)....After the success of White Pony they could have sold out and made White Pony part 2 but instead they showed some balls and put out their most aggressive riskiest album.....and the media bashed them, and the newbie foo fighter fans who started sucking them off after white pony bashed them...and they earned major cred from other people who like the edgy stuff....It woulda been nice if KNY was a balls out risky edgy album, not a mellow commercial affair...And enough already with how Chino is so happy and mellow and found peace and its reflected on the music...If Chino is so fucking happy, why is he fat again, and why is he drunk/stoned before/after every show???

black coffee

nicklav

Quote from: only pieces remain on May 22, 2013, 02:02 AM

you and swervecityusa should hang out sometime...

We had Neo, I was wondering where Agent Smith was...

DeftonesNZ

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: jaypayton on May 22, 2013, 02:52 PM
Quote from: DeftonesNZ on May 22, 2013, 01:04 AM

I expect them to push boundaries and try new things that are experimental...NOT do the same old thing (like Korn)...NOT make the music more commercial and mellow (like they have done)....After the success of White Pony they could have sold out and made White Pony part 2 but instead they showed some balls and put out their most aggressive riskiest album.....and the media bashed them, and the newbie foo fighter fans who started sucking them off after white pony bashed them...and they earned major cred from other people who like the edgy stuff....It woulda been nice if KNY was a balls out risky edgy album, not a mellow commercial affair...And enough already with how Chino is so happy and mellow and found peace and its reflected on the music...If Chino is so fucking happy, why is he fat again, and why is he drunk/stoned before/after every show???
I get what your saying about the experimental thing though but I think it's just thinks it'shard to have that experimental vibe when the musics not negative if they had that negative vibe it would be alot easier to sound all experimental because he could just yell again or do the sad epic song. KNY is still pretty experimental especially compared to DE they've introduced new techniques like tapping, Chino's stepped up his guitar playing alot and he's experimenting with odd tunings, Stephen's started using the 8 string for more advanced stuff, Abe has started playing round with electronic pads and stuff for his kit, Sergio has expanded his playing alot more, they've tried new stuff with songs like What happened to you? which has the reggae feel to it. I don't know what more you want the heavy stuff is heavier than it was on diamond eyes and the soft stuff is more melodic and beautiful. The songs are still epic just listen to Rosemary the way it rises and falls effortlessly is amazing that comes's as a result of some very good crafting and the cohesion from song to song with those interludes is new aswell.

Inkblades

What Happened to You? really grew on me. Wasn't crazy about it at first, but now it might one of my favorites.

truthaddict

Quote from: Jerry_Curls on Jan 21, 2013, 11:26 AM
Quote from: buddyboy101 on Jan 21, 2013, 07:28 AM
Has anyone else noticed the background vocals/screaming during the "time shifting" part (e.g. 1:43, 3:44).  It almost sounds like jazz scat screaming and has some very interesting timing/syncopation going on.  After "time" it goes:

1+2+3+4+ 1+2+3+4+
             X   oX oX

The X's are louder than the o's.  The first X is "shifting,"  the rest just sounds like background screaming/vocal noise.  But the timing is blowing my mind.  Very cool stuff.

I wish I could agree but I have no idea what song you're talking about. :)

EDIT: just read all the lyrics and figured out you were talking about "Rosemary"... My favorite song haha so many little gems in this song for me. I love Abe's snare hit during the 2nd "stay with me" part. Chino sings "come...*snare*...sail with me"... The snare is so loud(I'm guessing both sticks hit it) and then he changes to hi-hat... And Then back to the ride cymbal. His drumming makes this part so dreamy.... So simple yet effective. Damn I love this song.

I love that screaming in the background of Rosemary.  I can't figure out for the life of me what he is saying, but it sounds great.  It's just ambient noise really.

rainnyx4

In reference to all the morons hating on this album, this article is required reading:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-good-bands-start-to-suck-illustrated-guide/

In particular #3 should be paid attention to.

Romain

digital bath

SwerveCityUSA

actually deftones are 1988 until today, and if you don't know about pre adrenaline material you don't even have a right to talk about newbie fans and all the things your saying. if you don't like it, then great be bored and listen to bored all day. your opinion sucks. ever heard the song Gift, didn't think so, deftones fan deleted, next.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

Braincleaner

People should be able to dislike whatever they please, be it albums or a certain era of a bands lifetime (Deftones in this case)
However, i think it's unfair to bash a part of the fanbase simply for being "Newbies".
Deftones has been around since 1988, and there has always been newbies popping up at the release of about each new record they've been putting out.
Enjoying and appreciating the music is what counts, not if you've been there since the beginning, or if you jumped the wagon with white pony, or if you just found out about the band because of koi no yokan.
The fact that Deftones ( and after making a good amount of records over a long timespan) still attracts new fans is impressive.

Gee

Quote from: Braincleaner on May 26, 2013, 09:35 AM
People should be able to dislike whatever they please, be it albums or a certain era of a bands lifetime (Deftones in this case)
However, i think it's unfair to bash a part of the fanbase simply for being "Newbies".
Deftones has been around since 1988, and there has always been newbies popping up at the release of about each new record they've been putting out.
Enjoying and appreciating the music is what counts, not if you've been there since the beginning, or if you jumped the wagon with white pony, or if you just found out about the band because of koi no yokan.
The fact that Deftones ( and after making a good amount of records over a long timespan) still attracts new fans is impressive.
"When I show up, it's all good" Chino Moreno

UrZ*

Quote from: buddyboy101 on Jan 21, 2013, 07:28 AM
In "Rosemary," has anyone else noticed the background vocals/screaming during the "time shifting" part (e.g. 1:43, 3:44).  It almost sounds like jazz scat screaming and has some very interesting timing/syncopation going on.  After "time" it goes:

1+2+3+4+ 1+2+3+4+
             X   oX oX

The X's are louder than the o's.  The first X is "shifting,"  the rest just sounds like background screaming/vocal noise.  But the timing is blowing my mind.  Very cool stuff.

it's the word "SHIFT" being echo'd. But in weird way, it goes from left to right as well.. Have u heard the polything going on at the ending riff.. the drums don't sync up with the guitars.. they meet eachother every... 4 measures i believe.. stephen plays 3/4 while abe keeps 4/4
And somewhere, There's someone who cares. With a heart of gold, To have and to hold.

MaximumPezcore

Did anyone else kinda go "what the fuck" at What Happened To You's bassline? I used to really dislike the song but now I find it slick and awesome. Still not a fan of the bassline, sounds too out there, but in my opinion it actually adds something to the song, along with the drums. It's different, and doesn't really feel like a proper outro to me, but oddly hits really memorably for me.

Capt Snow

Wow, just found this single cover for goon squad, I'm amazed.

iceache

Quote from: MaximumPezcore on May 29, 2013, 10:23 PM
Did anyone else kinda go "what the fuck" at What Happened To You's bassline? I used to really dislike the song but now I find it slick and awesome. Still not a fan of the bassline, sounds too out there, but in my opinion it actually adds something to the song, along with the drums. It's different, and doesn't really feel like a proper outro to me, but oddly hits really memorably for me.

I told you mother fuckers all when this shit came out that "what happened to you?" was one of the best songs on the album if not their entire discography.

Now you're all playing catch up.

And the bass line is what got me hooked on this song