Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Koi No Yokan thread

Started by Vesanic, Sep 10, 2012, 11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceache

Video probably gonna be released soon... really... Romantic Dreams as the next single?

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: Caín on Aug 27, 2013, 09:30 AM
KNY is a terrible record. It has Poltergeist though, so it is by default better than self titled, which has no redeeming qualities at all.

White Pony
Around the Fur
Adrenaline
DE
SNW

KNY

ST

you have horrible taste
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Aug 10, 2013, 02:38 AM
Definitely KNY I get bored whilst listening to DE the instrumentals especially are too simple and repetitive for my taste, stef is playing simple stuff on like the bottom 2 strings and sergio just follows him, I just think you can tell it was done in a short time period they just seem underdeveloped don't get me wrong I don't hate songs like that but not for a whole album, that's why I  go for KNY because of the more crafted/expansive songs like rosemary and leathers.

all of his stuff is simple, its all about his tone which is the best in the business. looking at deftones as a guitar oriented band is a mistake, that's what makes them the most original band out there, they've got a classic rock band, turning the music into Depeche mode. I've never thought of them as a guitar band.

chuckles

KNY is a terrible record. It has Poltergeist though, so it is by default better than self titled, which has no redeeming qualities at all.

White Pony
Around the Fur
Adrenaline
DE
SNW

KNY

ST

god....
I'm a member of Sharing Leaks...

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on Sep 10, 2013, 10:44 PM
Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Aug 10, 2013, 02:38 AM
Definitely KNY I get bored whilst listening to DE the instrumentals especially are too simple and repetitive for my taste, stef is playing simple stuff on like the bottom 2 strings and sergio just follows him, I just think you can tell it was done in a short time period they just seem underdeveloped don't get me wrong I don't hate songs like that but not for a whole album, that's why I  go for KNY because of the more crafted/expansive songs like rosemary and leathers.

all of his stuff is simple, its all about his tone which is the best in the business. looking at deftones as a guitar oriented band is a mistake, that's what makes them the most original band out there, they've got a classic rock band, turning the music into Depeche mode. I've never thought of them as a guitar band.
I know his stuff is simple but DE sounded almost lazy he's a master of making simple riffs sound complex and huge but that didn't show on DE, his tone was killer as well there was just no variation to the riffs he played as if there was lead player in the band and as in he played really simple rhythm stuff and the songs didn't sound as full, I don't think of them as just a guitar band either but stefs playing is a huge part of their sound and when he doesn't come to the party it's really noticeable.

SwerveCityUSA

it sounded bigger and more processed than ever? it had to too being that he stepped up to 8 string. it was fucking massive.

rainnyx4

I have no problem with simple riffs as long as they're original and not rehashes of stuff they've already done.  Song structure matters too.  Stuff like Rocket Skates bores me to tears because the song is so unvaried and predictable.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Sep 11, 2013, 07:11 AM
I have no problem with simple riffs as long as they're original and not rehashes of stuff they've already done.  Song structure matters too.  Stuff like Rocket Skates bores me to tears because the song is so unvaried and predictable.
Yeah that was my issue to it's just pull offs on the heavy string I think the main problem for the riffs for me atleast was the lack of contrast the songs would start on the low strings and stay there or start on high strings and stay there the range the 8 string offers wasn't really used within a song. I think KNY is a big step up on that front Leathers for example keeps it interesting by going from the chugging low stuff to sweet high notes, now I'm not saying DE was that bad KNY is just better for me guitar wise.

SwerveCityUSA

yap yap yap. rocket skates conquers and that whole record and the energy is captivating.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on Sep 11, 2013, 08:46 PM
yap yap yap. rocket skates conquers and that whole record and the energy is captivating.
Can you try to respect the fact your opinion is not fact? I'm not saying it's bad and everyone should think it's bad because it's just retarded to think your own opinions on something as subjective as music is the only right opinion, I'm just talking about my own preferences,don't be that guy who mistakes who his own views as the only right one's, I can say my opinions and you can tell my I'm wrong all day and neither of us will ever be right.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Sep 11, 2013, 10:08 PM
Can you try to respect the fact your opinion is not fact? I'm not saying it's bad and everyone should think it's bad because it's just retarded to think your own opinions on something as subjective as music is the only right opinion, I'm just talking about my own preferences,don't be that guy who mistakes who his own views as the only right one's, I can say my opinions and you can tell my I'm wrong all day and neither of us will ever be right.

that's alright, you win captain ron.

the deft ones

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on Sep 12, 2013, 01:30 AM

Time to shut the fuck up Big Dick - your patter has grown tiresome.

You're entitled to your opinion and all, but nobody likes a narcissist. Tone it down a bit.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: the deft ones on Sep 12, 2013, 06:43 AM

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on Sep 12, 2013, 01:30 AM

Time to shut the fuck up Big Dick - your patter has grown tiresome.

You're entitled to your opinion and all, but nobody likes a narcissist. Tone it down a bit.

ok I'll say it again the Diamond Eyes record conquers and the energy is captivating. now quote that and put it in your sig.

Caín

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on Sep 10, 2013, 10:42 PM

White Pony
Around the Fur
Adrenaline
DE
SNW

KNY

ST

you have horrible taste

Me and the deftones, it seems. Even they hate the self titled record.

DeftonesNZ

They don't say they hate S/T at all they just say it reminds them of really dark times and they don't like being taken back to what they refer to as the "dark ages" aka the period after white Pony, they still play bloody cape pretty much every show and play songs like hexagram and minerva often,it's just like Chino said about battle axe he didn't say he hates the song he just said he feels so far away from the mindset that he was in when he wrote that song that it's not nice to revisit because he looks back and goes man I was in a fucked up space.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Sep 16, 2013, 09:05 AM
They don't say they hate S/T at all they just say it reminds them of really dark times and they don't like being taken back to what they refer to as the "dark ages" aka the period after white Pony, they still play bloody cape pretty much every show and play songs like hexagram and minerva often,it's just like Chino said about battle axe he didn't say he hates the song he just said he feels so far away from the mindset that he was in when he wrote that song that it's not nice to revisit because he looks back and goes man I was in a fucked up space.

exactly.

SwerveCityUSA

a constant flow of order of each 7 albums as favorite is the proper approach

Caín

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Sep 16, 2013, 09:05 AM

Chino said the songwriting was lazy. It shows.

DeftonesNZ

Where did he say that?

SwerveCityUSA

He criticizes all their stuff as any good artist should. I criticize my own artful endeavors too knowing the one true fact of art and life, nothing is perfect.