Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Koi No Yokan thread

Started by Vesanic, Sep 10, 2012, 11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theis

I've been loving this album a lot lately.

SwerveCityUSA

I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

Jerry_Curls

Yup...a year later this album has shown it's weaknesses and strengths. OVerall I like the album, I just think it's missing the crunch on Stef's sound. Some of the parts where it gets heavy, they sound micro compared to the sounds of their tracks like  "Crenshaw's Punch" "Korea" "Beware"(the end) and "Bloody Cape". The dissonance  in his playing is gone except for in tracks like "Poltergeist". That track to me is one of the stand-out ones because it has traits of earlier works, heavy, yet is the current sound of Deftones done right. I love it because there is no screaming in this song, yet it still rocks.

Chino's sound and lyrics are so ON-THE-NOSE now...there isn't any mystery anymore. The sensuality in his vocals isn't there anymore. There are moments where I just wish he would let his voice crack or do something, but its all there. You can hear everything and it sounds too neat. Not saying there aren't moments where he doesn't shine or exemplify what I'm talking about (in "Gauze" he actually holds back during the chorus at moments. In the 2nd verse going into the chorus is my favorite part because he changes it up by making the word THINK louder and then the next words just fade...lots of highs and lows in this track and is one of my favorite.) I don't know, I might not be making sense, it just doesn't feel like there isn't any of that vulnerability. I think that is what we liked about the sound of his voice...his kind of sensitive vocals with the harsh imagery.

Also a lot of the sound that Frank does kind of bugs me. I wish he did more of the soundscapes instead of playing keys. I love the cohesion of White Pony because of the haunting soundscapes on "Korea" "Digital Bath" "Change" or tracks like WGTB. Also, Abe's drumming is missing those WOW moments he usually gives us. "Swerve City" is missing that syncopated, hip-hop sound that would make the track shine (wait, listening to it now..I hear it, but it just is a more simple approach than what he usually does) Listening to all their albums, he didn't make his drumming as trippy in KNY as he could have. Listen to Moana and see how his skills make an overall simple track (along with Chino's haunting, distant vocals) fucking brilliant.

So, yes, I do love the album, just some of the things that stood out to me.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

SwerveCityUSA

koi no yokan is the best one

Penicks

N0S3BLEED976

I love how the guitars get more and more sinister and the drums a lot more intense during the end of Graphic Nature. The lyrics in this song are also probably my favourite from the entire LP.
I think one of the reasons why some dislike the song is because at times it has very noisy, weird guitar riffs and vocal melodies, but once it opens up to that ridiculously groovy pre-chorus and chorus with that mesmerising, then chunky riff by Stef, it all makes sense, at least for me.
That being said, GN is probably my favourite song along with Poltergeist and Tempest.

Rosemary however has to be the biggest disappointment for me. A song of that length in my opinion has to have some sort of build-up before the climax or at least some variation in its song structure, which it doesn't have. Not to mention that the climax itself is totally underwhelming, as well.

On the song Entombed I'm kind of torn. While the main part of tge song doesn't do much for me, the finale with Frank's keyboard taking the lead and Abe's drumming is one of the most beautiful and best written moments on this album. It just sounds like every band member being perfectly aware of each other's role in the song, as if the once seperated pieces of a puzzle finally come together and reveal the whole picture. It's actually hard to put it in words, but that's just how I feel.

In terms of Chino's vocals, I kind of miss his more nuanced approach from previous records. On KNY it sometimes sounds very strained, with only very few quiter, more subtle moments. Where the fuck is his gorgeous tenor voice from songs like You've Seen The Butcher, Deathblow, Cherry Waves and, more recently, Bitches Brew? Some songs on KNY would have sounde a fuck ton sexier if he used it more.

The rest of the album is pretty fucking solid, some more (Leathers, Goon Squad, WHTY?) and some songs to a lesser degree (Gauze, Romantic Dreams)

Thought I could share my view on KNY after one year of listening, as well. Cheers!

nicklav

It really comes down to Chino's voice for me on this album. I just can't get into it like I can with the others.

rainnyx4

Sometimes I think you guys just make up shit about why you don't like something so that you can sound smart.

Penicks

or maybe we just try to think about how it comes that our favourite band has made 2 records in a row that simply don't deserve to even be in 100 mile radius of the shadow of their previous works

Jerry_Curls

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Dec 02, 2013, 10:41 PM
Sometimes I think you guys just make up shit about why you don't like something so that you can sound smart.

Ok you guys, let never discuss anything ever.

..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: Penicks on Dec 03, 2013, 08:31 AM
or maybe we just try to think about how it comes that our favourite band has made 2 records in a row that simply don't deserve to even be in 100 mile radius of the shadow of their previous works

that's right, because the circumference those 2 works are in, are far beyond the greatest they've done. they are even greater now and entering in a beautiful place.

[/b]
[/b]
[/b]

therealdaebat

Throw away half the tracks on SNW & KNY and you've got yourself a decent album!
---------------------------------------------------------------
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

http://reddit.com/r/deftones

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Quote from: Penicks on Dec 03, 2013, 08:31 AM

+ 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

SwerveCityUSA

put white pony on repeat until your six feet

Romain

Quote from: Jerry_Curls on Dec 03, 2013, 08:44 AM

Ok you guys, let never discuss anything ever.

Thanks Jerry.

Romain

Quote from: nicklav on Dec 02, 2013, 05:18 PM
It really comes down to Chino's voice for me on this album. I just can't get into it like I can with the others.

I'll have to listen to the instrumentals that just leaked, but yeah, Chino's voice is the main flaw, in my opinion. Or to sound less negative and not bring more shit up, it's at least the main reason I can't get into it.

SwerveCityUSA

ya have your opinion and all that's great, not really. but his voice and lyrics are the highlight, why can't you see that?

Braincleaner

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on Dec 04, 2013, 06:28 PM
ya have your opinion and all that's great, not really. but his voice and lyrics are the highlight, why can't you see that?

Because people have different tastes and preferences.
It's not about "seeing" what's good or not, it's about what you like, what really hits you.
Just to take a look at.......say...religious debates, you cannot just tell the other party "why can't you see?", it's irrelevant to them.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: Braincleaner on Dec 04, 2013, 06:38 PM
Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on Dec 04, 2013, 06:28 PM

Because people have different tastes and preferences.
It's not about "seeing" what's good or not, it's about what you like, what really hits you.
Just to take a look at.......say...religious debates, you cannot just tell the other party "why can't you see?", it's irrelevant to them.

haha stop. the same could be said in reverse about your holy opinions.

Braincleaner

The instrumentals sounds really good though, lots of Franks textures tends to disappear underneath the vocals.