Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Sharing Lungs, why the hate...?

Started by Blaze, Sep 23, 2012, 10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaze

This is just a quick observation, so don't feel offended when I say this, but recently I've been looking through some threads and there seems to be some harsh criticism and bashing towards certain albums (specifically SNW and DE... like, wtf?!). I'm not one to be a hypocrite, but I'd point out when a band has had a weak or mediocre album, and I'm sorry but Deftones have not had one at all (S/T might be their weakest according to general concensus, but it's by no means a bad album. It's actually still good). Each album is unique, creative, and distinctive in its own right. They seem to have one of the strongest discographies than most modern bands. I'm on other rock forums too, and they have so much love for them. Hell, even on the Linkin Park forums, they appreciate it.

Just recently, Leathers came out and most of the net was very excited to hear the track. They loved it, so did I. Then I came on here, and the enthusiasm was minimal bordering on "eh".

I'm not trying to bash fans here or anything, but it just seems that a lotta people are too overly critical of their music (not enough screams/not heavy enough/too experimental/Chino lost his touch, etc.), especially the hard fans which I did not expect. Can't we just enjoy the fact that the band is still making consistently great music?  :-\

Sorry for the rant.

DeftonesNZ

No I totally agree i love anything by the Deftones but some take them for granted I am sure they will criticise the next single as well probably cause they build it up in their minds to a point where their only gonna be disappointed.

Vesanic

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Sep 23, 2012, 11:03 AM
No I totally agree i love anything by the Deftones but some take them for granted I am sure they will criticise the next single as well probably cause they build it up in their minds to a point where their only gonna be disappointed.

Lol, isn't that utter bullshit. I do like Rosemary, you know.

sing blue silver

Guys, people have opinions. Not everyone has to blindly like everything Deftones do. I'm not saying you guys are blind following fanboy sheep but don't expect everyone else here to just jerk off over every song and every album all day. Personally I love every Deftones record and I'm sure KNY will be the same case but those who are dissatisfied provide us with contrast and discussion (at least when it's not mindless bashing bordering on retardism, which mindless praising can also be). Someone doesn't like something you like? Chill the fuck out and realize it's not the end of the world. I think Leathers is fantastic and look forward to hearing more but if Deftones fans just came in their pants over everything Chino and the gang did Deftones fans would be boring, mindless, uninteresting idiots and I'd probably have left this board years ago. I know some people nitpick and it can be annoying but that's just the name of the game when it comes to discussing music you're passionate about.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 23, 2012, 12:10 PM
Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Sep 23, 2012, 11:03 AM

Lol, isn't that utter bullshit. I do like Rosemary, you know.
Sorry if you thought that was at you just a broad comment
Also sing blue silver i think you nailed it that's what I was talking about the nit pickers who seem like their deliberately trying to find flaws.

Vesanic

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: Blaze on Sep 23, 2012, 10:39 AM
I'd point out when a band has had a weak or mediocre album, and I'm sorry but Deftones have not had one at all

Finally someone who speaks the truth.
Especially with their recent stuff it seems, based on the numerous interviews, that they have really enjoyed themselves and put out the record they wanted to. I appreciate that and to me Diamond Eyes and more recently Rosemary, Poltergeist and Leathers DO sound incredible and focused. All those pricks who are arguing that it doesn't sound "deftone-ish" enough should stop living in the past. Yes, they evolved further and yes, it sounds different from what they previously did, but saying it does not sound like them is ridiculous, since every record they released has been entirely different from each other.

Blaze

Quote from: sing blue silver on Sep 23, 2012, 12:19 PM
Guys, people have opinions. Not everyone has to blindly like everything Deftones do. I'm not saying you guys are blind following fanboy sheep but don't expect everyone else here to just jerk off over every song and every album all day. Personally I love every Deftones record and I'm sure KNY will be the same case but those who are dissatisfied provide us with contrast and discussion (at least when it's not mindless bashing bordering on retardism, which mindless praising can also be). Someone doesn't like something you like? Chill the fuck out and realize it's not the end of the world. I think Leathers is fantastic and look forward to hearing more but if Deftones fans just came in their pants over everything Chino and the gang did Deftones fans would be boring, mindless, uninteresting idiots and I'd probably have left this board years ago. I know some people nitpick and it can be annoying but that's just the name of the game when it comes to discussing music you're passionate about.

Well, I wasn't trying to say people have opinions and stuff, 'cause I respect that, but you're right about the nitpicking, which is what I was trying to get at too. It just seems people like to tear apart a song if it doesn't sound like something the band would do (trust me, I just hung up my Linkin Park fan badge. I know how that feels.) I'm just shocked at the response the more recent stuff has gotten. It's like people are still yearning for the days of ATF and WP to even consider that they're evolving their sound and isn't it right in assuming that fans should evolve/adjust with the sound, too?

Cropduster

One thing I love about Deftones is that every record sounds different to the last - they standout in what is otherwise an often formulaic genre.

It keeps me interested as a fan.

I loved ATF and all it's angst when I was 16 (still love that album, make no mistake) but as an adult I enjoy hearing Deftones make 'mature' and artistic music. It's great hearing a band grow on every record.

How many days did it take man to create God?

Corleone

ZackND

Where does the hate come from? People want to prove to they're not a "fanboy". I think some is actual opinion but a lot is just to impress their peers. It's a lame trend.

Inkblades

Vesanic

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 23, 2012, 05:06 PM
Quote from: sing blue silver on Sep 23, 2012, 12:19 PM
Guys, people have opinions.

That about sums it up.

Yeah but you don't seem to understand that either, at times. Which is a shame, I usually enjoy the hell out of your posts, you're far from being a dumbass.

Inkblades

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

But seriously, I like debating my opinions with other people's opinions. That's part of the fun of this place.

from_musings

this place has a lot of love... the love for expressing hatred

Jesus2Chino

The consensus is that S/T is their weakest album??

Anywho, I haven't listened to Leathers yet, but I feel like it was pretty well received. Welcome to Sharing Lungs, lol; nothing is going to change, and I don't know if it should. Some people here have dedicated a lot of time, effort, and thought to the band and the fan community, and some of those people didn't like Leathers, or SNW, or whatever song or album. It doesn't make them bad fans. I'd rather come on here and read some intriguing conversation about a song or an album, even if it's woven intricately together with excrement and sarcasm, than I would a washboard of "this is the greatest." I think in general most of the long-term members here are that way.

Much respect,
-Matt
Much respect,
-Matt

Vesanic

Fun? Yeah, if you're some kind of masochist.

Inkblades

*insert lame Fifty Shades of Sharing Lungs joke here*

dictatesofreason

Blaze

Quote from: Jesus2Chino on Sep 23, 2012, 06:03 PM
The consensus is that S/T is their weakest album??

Anywho, I haven't listened to Leathers yet, but I feel like it was pretty well received. Welcome to Sharing Lungs, lol; nothing is going to change, and I don't know if it should. Some people here have dedicated a lot of time, effort, and thought to the band and the fan community, and some of those people didn't like Leathers, or SNW, or whatever song or album. It doesn't make them bad fans. I'd rather come on here and read some intriguing conversation about a song or an album, even if it's woven intricately together with excrement and sarcasm, than I would a washboard of "this is the greatest." I think in general most of the long-term members here are that way.

Much respect,
-Matt

Lol yeah I agree, but opinions are a different topic. I'm just saying that bands, including Deftones, wanna try out new styles, so I don't see the point in fans getting salty about experimenting... We should be open to that stuff *shrug*. I also don't love everything they put out. There's a few songs on SNW and DE that I skip.

And general concensus, well, not "general" but a lotta metalheads on this site I can trust with ratings:
http://www.sputnikmusic.com/bands/Deftones/59/

And a few other forums. lol