Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Albums.... As it relates to a period of your life

Started by xLhabiax, Oct 17, 2012, 05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xLhabiax

So I was thinking about this recently; looking back on the first Deftones album I bought in 99 (Around the fur) up until the most recent (Diamond Eyes) I realized that the albums really captured a certain period of my life. I don't know if this is going to make any sense (or has already been discussed, and if it has delete this thread mod lol) but 3 of their albums really stand out to me because of what memories I can draw from that time around the albums release.

White Pony, actually the summer after it came out which would also be the year I graduated high school and started partying is something I'll always remember. Mainly digital bath and change, I feel like nearly everyday during the summer of 2001 when one of us would crack a beer or roll a joint I'd hear one of those two songs, and the funny thing (that im still proud) is those people who remain close friends of mine weren't even Deftones fans until that summer. That summer was just a big, long, party (and judging by the Entertain Me leak the guys were indulging just as much as we were) that I'll never forget.

Self titled hit me at a darker period, like the guys I was coming out of a bad relationship and a period of bouncing from girl to girl that eventually lead to depression where I was drinking heavily. The three songs from that album are Deathblow, Girls Telephone, and Battleaxe....they are dark, desperate sounding songs and I couldn't describe where I was mentally any better than Chino does through his lyrics. I love that album but it still reminds me of some pretty depressing times in my life, luckily it's something I can still go back and listen to while appreciating the art of the music instead of harking on the past.

And finally Diamond Eyes; as we know that leaked in late March, I remember coming home one night and logging onto this forum to get the lyrics for the song diamond eyes and soon realized there was a thread for lyrics for the entire album meaning it had sprung a leak. About 20 minutes later I was on my porch with my headphones and ipod listening to the new album in its entirety. That album brought such joy to me as I got really excited hearing Royal (especially Chino's screams at the end) for the first time but also sadness as my aunt who was only 48 was about to lose her battle with breast cancer. I still remember sitting there in the rain and hearing "Sextape" for the first time, I know the song has nothing to do with losing someone but once the chorus hit I just started crying, call it whatever you want I just had a lot of emotions overwhelming me (I was also about to propose to my gf at the time) and was ready to explode, so I exploded at 2am while listening to my favorite band in the world in the rain with some whiskey. A year and a half after Diamond Eyes I still draw so many good and bad memories upon hearing it.

Sorry if this was boring or long winded, figured this being a Deftones forum it would be the best place for it. Do any of you guys/girls have any memories/stories to their albums?
We are ok in a misguided Sadist way

quietcolor

well, for starters, im 29---first time i heard the opening riff to my own summer was probably in 1997 shortly after the album was released. i had been somewhat familiar with adrenaline tracks like bored/7words, but from that very first second of my own summer, deftones had become my favorite band of all time and that record changed my life forever.
it's so simple to look at every little thing i do wrong. it's so simple to overlook every little thing i do right.

xLhabiax

I'm also 29 and My own summer was my first exposure to the band as well, i think the song was played during the credits of the Matrix movie. I went to the record store about a week later looking for thealbum that song was one. I got exposed to Adrenaline couple months after that, maybe November of 99.

nineteen

ATF, WP and SNW capture a time for me along with a lot of other albums by other artists.

Their other albums were released when I wasn't paying that much attention to my life so they didn't really attach as much.

xLhabiax

Quote from: nineteen on Oct 17, 2012, 06:55 PM
ATF, WP and SNW capture a time for me along with a lot of other albums by other artists.

Their other albums were released when I wasn't paying that much attention to my life so they didn't really attach as much.

You werent paying attention or nothing notable was happening? Not paying attention sounds troubling lol

DeftonesNZ

Was kind of weird for me as i am only young so the first time i heard the Deftones was when they played change on my local radio station I loved it and looked up the rest of their stuff and was blown away and annoyed i hadn't found them earlier,also for the moment in time thing although i found them all at the same they all sort of represented my different weird teenage emotions, like when i was feeling like an angry teen it was adrenaline and ATF, then when i was depressed it was WP and ST,that's what i loved about them they seem to have a song for every mood unlike some bands who you only listen to if your'e in the right mood.

nineteen

Quote from: xLhabiax on Oct 17, 2012, 07:21 PM
Quote from: nineteen on Oct 17, 2012, 06:55 PM

You werent paying attention or nothing notable was happening? Not paying attention sounds troubling lol

ha - I guess nothing notable was happening. Bad choice of words on my part!

The albums I didn't mention remind me of a time obviously but they didn't have as much impact at the time. Great albums though.

nicklav

I know this sounds weird, but their music transcends associations to various periods in my life. I just generally "feel" when I listen to Deftones rather than associate it with a particular moment or time.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: nicklav on Oct 17, 2012, 07:48 PM
I know this sounds weird, but their music transcends associations to various periods in my life. I just generally "feel" when I listen to Deftones rather than associate it with a particular moment or time.
Yeah i think it's just sort of memories that had that album as the soundtrack , like when i first got Diamond Eyes me and my Mates went away to the beach for new years and i played it the whole time so it reminds me of that.

xLhabiax

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Oct 17, 2012, 07:32 PM
Was kind of weird for me as i am only young so the first time i heard the Deftones was when they played change on my local radio station I loved it and looked up the rest of their stuff and was blown away and annoyed i hadn't found them earlier,also for the moment in time thing although i found them all at the same they all sort of represented my different weird teenage emotions, like when i was feeling like an angry teen it was adrenaline and ATF, then when i was depressed it was WP and ST,that's what i loved about them they seem to have a song for every mood unlike some bands who you only listen to if your'e in the right mood.

I agree they can cover every mood with a song, sometimes more than one song for love, fear, anger etc which you def dont get with a lot of bands/musicians. I find it interesting you tied depression to White Pony as i found that to be one of there most upbeat albums. I'm not saying you are wrong your emotions are your emotions, I'm sure some people will think I'm ridiculous for relating a song like "sextape" to a family on death's bed. I think it's cool how we relate songs to our lives.

DeftonesNZ

When i say WP i mainly listened to Knife Party,Change, Digital Bath and Pink Maggit alot ,I agree the rest of the album is uplifting but for some reason i really connected with those songs still probably my top 4

quietcolor

i remember waiting so long for WP to finally drop and downloading cuts from napster labled as WP tunes that weren't...i believe i downloaded a track called Korea, but it was actually some papa roach song---but only the intro and for weeks i thought it was korea. meh.
it's so simple to look at every little thing i do wrong. it's so simple to overlook every little thing i do right.

Shadow46/2

First saw the Change video on MTV back in '00. I was like "Who's this big Mexican gothic-lookin dude with the ridiculously high pitched voice... huh... this song's kinda catchy... kinda dark too... ALL THESE FEELS OMG."

But I more or less forgot about them until a good 6 years later when I borrowed ATF and WP from my brother in law. Sitting alone in my room listening to those two albums nonstop, or while going through the hell of high school. They were just the perfect companions.

Then I got SNW for christmas and that solidified them as my favorite band forever.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

NicholasHume

I traded a friend my copy of "The Sickness" by Disturbed for the Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 Soundtrack, which had "Headup" on it. I unknowingly loaded it onto my 64MB RCA Lyra mp3 player, which I loved so much at the time (it could hold 10 songs!). Walking back from the bus in the approaching summer in grade 9 (2001), the riff started and it stopped me in my tracks. I had to look and see just exactly who was responsible for the coolest riff I've ever heard.

The first time I spun my copy of White Pony, 'early' in the 'morning' (for me at the time) which I had purchased the night before at the tail end of a class trip to Ottawa. I listened to it while I made breakfast. I got to enjoy the omelette by the time "Passenger" came on - and it tasted so bad (must have put too much spice in there or something) that I couldn't listen to "Passenger" without thinking of or tasting that horrible horrible yellow 'egg' atrocity.

Northcal

SNW era was my most destructive ,drugs were really fucking me up and that album takes me back to good times and the horror of playing with my life constantly  :-[

nineteen

Quote from: NicholasHume on Oct 17, 2012, 10:36 PM
I traded a friend my copy of "The Sickness" by Disturbed for the Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 Soundtrack, which had "Headup" on it. I unknowingly loaded it onto my 64MB RCA Lyra mp3 player, which I loved so much at the time (it could hold 10 songs!). Walking back from the bus in the approaching summer in grade 9 (2001), the riff started and it stopped me in my tracks. I had to look and see just exactly who was responsible for the coolest riff I've ever heard.

The first time I spun my copy of White Pony, 'early' in the 'morning' (for me at the time) which I had purchased the night before at the tail end of a class trip to Ottawa. I listened to it while I made breakfast. I got to enjoy the omelette by the time "Passenger" came on - and it tasted so bad (must have put too much spice in there or something) that I couldn't listen to "Passenger" without thinking of or tasting that horrible horrible yellow 'egg' atrocity.

So White Pony brings back memories of, well, an omelette? lol

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

I knew I was aboard after Adrenaline but especially when ATF dropped (that day). Knew I was a lifer when ST dropped and I had the bandaged love tatted on my forearm that week with my brother who is now gone. That record finally got him to understand how incredible they are too....that's where u find me constantly defending that one all the time here as well. 8)
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

deftones47

I am very, very late in discovering Deftones compared to the rest of SL. I started listening to them at the end of 2011. Diamond Eyes was my first Deftones album.

Since then, I've learned a lot about Deftones through spare time research, and I also got Adrenaline, White Pony, and the S/T.

So I still need ATF, SNW, and KNY when it comes out. (I've heard a good number of songs off of ATF, SNW, and the current singles for KNY)

Anyway, December 2011 is how far back Diamond Eyes takes me.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: deftones47 on Oct 19, 2012, 01:46 AM
I am very, very late in discovering Deftones compared to the rest of SL. I started listening to them at the end of 2011. Diamond Eyes was my first Deftones album.

Since then, I've learned a lot about Deftones through spare time research, and I also got Adrenaline, White Pony, and the S/T.

So I still need ATF, SNW, and KNY when it comes out. (I've heard a good number of songs off of ATF, SNW, and the current singles for KNY)

Anyway, December 2011 is how far back Diamond Eyes takes me.
Should hit up spotify the all deftones albums are on there to listen to for free

Electron§

White Pony and S/T are the two that really hit home for me for years, because Ive heard a majority of the songs from both so many times and those were really the first two that I was completely in depth with, all the others I had only heard bits and pieces from when I was way younger (because of my sister who listened to Deftones pretty much from the start), until about two years ago when I discovered I could use the internetz to my advantage to uncover all the seemingly ominous facets of my favorite band. :P