Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Albums.... As it relates to a period of your life

Started by xLhabiax, Oct 17, 2012, 05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epistaxis

I remember I bought a compilation CD named Wired Up somewhere in the early '00s and it had the song 'Change' on it.
I was around 13/14 years old and I always thought that song sounded sexy. But I never thought 'hmm these Deftones guys are pretty cool, let's check out the rest of their music'.
But in 2005 I met a guy at school who was a huge Deftones fan. We started chatting on MSN(gee I'm old) and he sent me some songs and eventually gave me some albums for me to borrow. I developed a crush on him along the way and he told me he liked me. He lied, as so I learned from others, the next day..
Gladly, no Deftones song reminds of that guy and the whole fiasco(although Knife Party reminds me of that year), but not long after that I stopped listening to Deftones.

It was until SNW was released I got back into Deftones and this time it sticked for good.
I think that's my most played Deftones record. I don't associate it with anything though.

'Rocket Skates' reminds me of the summer of 2010, and their gig in Amsterdam I attended in June that year. My first ever Deftones gig.

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

:)Nice thread, can't b ruined like the others...
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

only pieces remain

Seen the BQAD video on mtv in 98 and dug it a fair bit, but not enough to check anything out. My next deftones encounter wasnt until the change video which i also seen on mtv. I fucking loved it. I was at my music store the next day and bought white pony. A few weeks after that was fully absorbed I went back and bought ATF then Adrenaline. Bought s/t, snw and de all on release day and sat in high anticipation for each. KNY is no exception. In fact, this is maybe my most anticipated deftones record other than s/t.

NicholasHume

Quote from: nineteen on Oct 18, 2012, 07:46 AM
Quote from: NicholasHume on Oct 17, 2012, 10:36 PM
I traded a friend my copy of "The Sickness" by Disturbed for the Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 Soundtrack, which had "Headup" on it. I unknowingly loaded it onto my 64MB RCA Lyra mp3 player, which I loved so much at the time (it could hold 10 songs!). Walking back from the bus in the approaching summer in grade 9 (2001), the riff started and it stopped me in my tracks. I had to look and see just exactly who was responsible for the coolest riff I've ever heard.

The first time I spun my copy of White Pony, 'early' in the 'morning' (for me at the time) which I had purchased the night before at the tail end of a class trip to Ottawa. I listened to it while I made breakfast. I got to enjoy the omelette by the time "Passenger" came on - and it tasted so bad (must have put too much spice in there or something) that I couldn't listen to "Passenger" without thinking of or tasting that horrible horrible yellow 'egg' atrocity.

So White Pony brings back memories of, well, an omelette? lol

Yes but not just any omelette - the worst omelette in all of history. Retrospectively, I was its Passenger.

SquealLikeaPig

Quote from: quietcolor on Oct 17, 2012, 06:20 PM
well, for starters, im 29---first time i heard the opening riff to my own summer was probably in 1997 shortly after the album was released. i had been somewhat familiar with adrenaline tracks like bored/7words, but from that very first second of my own summer, deftones had become my favorite band of all time and that record changed my life forever.

While I now love My Own Summer, my initial memory of it was when I was 18 and in the army.  My roommate at the time had that as his alarm in the morning super loud.  While it's an awesome song, it's not exactly pleasing to the ear at 5 in the morning when you are awakened from a good night's sleep.  Anyway, that was my introduction to Deftones and I didn't really like them at the time.  Amazing how just a couple of years later they became my favorite band and that album is one of my favorites as well as that song.

Northcal

rhapsodos

Never listened to the Deftones until around the time Diamond Eyes was released, and my friend recommended that I start listening to one of their more ground breaking albums, White Pony. I listened, and I was blown away by how unique and intriguing the sound was. I bought their entire discography, and I have to say that SNW was the album that REALLY shook me. It was during a time when I thoroughly listened to it that me and my girlfriend of 4 years broke up. The entire album spoke to me, its haunting melodies (Cherry Waves) and beautiful sounding guitar riffs (Xerces).

gui

First time i heard deftones was on Musique Plus, a french canadian music channel, they played the video of  bored during their heavy metal show. I remember thinking it was SUPER cool but never gave them a chance. 2 years later i saw the video of Change, without knowing it was from the same band. I disliked the song at first but at the same time i was really curious about it, something was special and different about it. When i discover a couple months later both songs were from the same band i got REALLY curious and bought adrenaline atf and white pony on the same day. I liked adrenaline a lot better at first, then i discovered White pony and was blown away by it and it changed my music taste forever. It took a year before i started becoming a fan of ATF. Damn those were the days.

DJR

Im 24 now, and when i was about 12 i saw Be Quiet and Drive on MTV2 and was instantly hooked, and not too long after White Pony was released and Change was playing on the VH1 Rock Show at midnight....i had no internet and satellite tv in those days so it was so exciting for me! Then i guess when i became to love them Minerva was released and then i just went and bought Adrenaline, Around the Fur, White Pony and then the self title was imminent. SNW helped me through my college days a lot too, and all the arty hot girls were into that record as well haha

976-EVIL

Interesting Thread...

2000 Deftones Father of 2 a Son and my Girl!

SNW debuts this weekend! 2006!!!
Hate the wife love the Kids...

I Miss CHI .....Diamond Eyes!!!
2010 awakened... KNY !!!!
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

scatterbrain

A good friend got me around the fur for my birthday when I was 12.I never heard them before but I was hooked.I thought it was the heaviest,craziest shit I heard in my life.it was the soundtrack to my life doing the stupid shit I did back then.
Then white pony came out.I get dirty looks everytime I've ever said this,but here goes.I heard change and was like"what the hell is this shit,this guy is just yawning,what the fuck?,I'm not buying this"I ignored white pony for a couple years.then I started smoking weed and I heard knife prty on the radio(yeah radio kicked ass at one point kids),immeditlly grabed white pony at this point and it just clicked,even change(one of my favs now)its a very chill,yet pretty aggresive.I guess when it came out I was into nothing but agro shit,slipknot and all that stuff and was to dumb to understand WP at the time.when the time was right though,it just worked its way into my life.ever since then deftones have been a huge part of my life through the highs,and the lows.every album reminds me of a time in my life,from being a dumb kid to being a semi-functional adult.and all the shit inbetween.
im me and thats all ill ever be

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: scatterbrain on Oct 25, 2012, 08:39 AM
A good friend got me around the fur for my birthday when I was 12.I never heard them before but I was hooked.I thought it was the heaviest,craziest shit I heard in my life.it was the soundtrack to my life doing the stupid shit I did back then.
Then white pony came out.I get dirty looks everytime I've ever said this,but here goes.I heard change and was like"what the hell is this shit,this guy is just yawning,what the fuck?,I'm not buying this"I ignored white pony for a couple years.then I started smoking weed and I heard knife prty on the radio(yeah radio kicked ass at one point kids),immeditlly grabed white pony at this point and it just clicked,even change(one of my favs now)its a very chill,yet pretty aggresive.I guess when it came out I was into nothing but agro shit,slipknot and all that stuff and was to dumb to understand WP at the time.when the time was right though,it just worked its way into my life.ever since then deftones have been a huge part of my life through the highs,and the lows.every album reminds me of a time in my life,from being a dumb kid to being a semi-functional adult.and all the shit inbetween.
Deftones was the same for me except they were the catalyst for me listening to softer and more experimental stuff before that it was Pantera and Metallica I always felt there was something missing in that kind of metal music then i heard Change and was like this is whats been missing it blew my mind hadn't heard anything like it at the time haha it really shocked me i was like hes singing so softly and sweetly but the guitar is so dark and heavy that shouldn't work but it does, soundtrack to my life lol

Robotsatemygrandma

Hmmm.

Adrenaline and Around the Fur remind me of high school, more specifically summer. I'd pop them into my tape player (hey I was a poor kid!) jump on my bike and meet my friends. Bullshit around town, cause random trouble, wash rinse repeat. I first discovered Damone the night a girlfriend and I broke up. I fuckin RAGED on that shit. That same summer is when I first witnessed their awesomeness at Ozzfest. Jesus. Felt like they destroyed my proverbial feminine virginal cherry. I was like, yep, these fuckers are better live!

The Linus demos remind me of when I moved into my moms house. I decorated and unpacked listening to it. Windows open, spring air in the midst. It felt good.

I remember being "grounded" the day White Pony came out lol. I still went out and bought it and got in a huge fight about it. I was like, so I came back didn't I? Not like I went and partied it up.

The Self Titled album... not really. I remember driving around with a friend bumping that shit.

Saturday Night Wrist. Oh boy... yea this is a biggie for me. It was my 2nd relapse and I was on a rampage. This album resonated everything I was feeling. I honestly hated my friends cuz they were trying to do the right thing, but I was so messed up, they were the enemy. My world was upside down and the only things that made sense were more drugs and more music. Probably why I feel this album is an underdog so much is because when it came out, it was the perfect soundtrack to my life.

Diamond Eyes. This album reminds me of my old job and the girl that went along with it lol. I had this shit on my iPod when it leaked and played it for like 2 weeks straight. Then I saw them play a solo show right after the release. Good times.  :)

DeftonesNZ

Wow perfect timing for SNW to come out for you Hole in the earth must of resonated with you in a big way.

gwenudo

i may not have great stories like you guys but deftones has helped throughout my years ..im still a teenager i just turned 18 yesterday .. but the first time i ever heard deftones was back in 06 .. i was in the 6th grade and i got home one day and nobody was home so i turned on my speakers up loud and put on sirius xm liquid metal .. they were putting on some great music and then all of a sudden an unknown song came on that ive never heard before ... it was a new sound for me and i had goosebumps all over my body ..that song was knife party .. i listened to it and went crazy all over my house .. and then the song was over and i was so amazed i kept rewinding it on my dvr over and over again.. after awhile i looked up deftones on youtube and listened to bqad and my god .. i was amazed .. and ill never forget those amazing moments.. when i do hear songs from them though i remember many things .. like break ups and shit like that .. but throughout all those times deftones always seemed to find me my inner peace ...when i listen to them .. all my feeelings come out and at the end.. im so much better.. deftones, i love you
Was it like it seemed?...

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: gwenudo666 on Oct 25, 2012, 03:00 PM
i may not have great stories like you guys but deftones has helped throughout my years ..im still a teenager i just turned 18 yesterday .. but the first time i ever heard deftones was back in 06 .. i was in the 6th grade and i got home one day and nobody was home so i turned on my speakers up loud and put on sirius xm liquid metal .. they were putting on some great music and then all of a sudden an unknown song came on that ive never heard before ... it was a new sound for me and i had goosebumps all over my body ..that song was knife party .. i listened to it and went crazy all over my house .. and then the song was over and i was so amazed i kept rewinding it on my dvr over and over again.. after awhile i looked up deftones on youtube and listened to bqad and my god .. i was amazed .. and ill never forget those amazing moments.. when i do hear songs from them though i remember many things .. like break ups and shit like that .. but throughout all those times deftones always seemed to find me my inner peace ...when i listen to them .. all my feeelings come out and at the end.. im so much better.. deftones, i love you
Im the same as you i am 18 aswell didn't have anything to major just the usual teenage problems but just the day to day help i get from their music like ill listen to deftones before i have big uni exam and go in calm as anything, im one of those people who listens to music all day im not really shy but i can't be fucked making fake small talk with people so i escape into the music instead. I was real late to the party aswell because of my age and being at the bottom of the world in New Zealand i hadn't heard the deftones till Diamond Eyes came out but since then i've soaked everything up spent lots of nights when i couldn't get to sleep trawling through all the youtube vids about the deftones and have retained alot of it lol so much easier to remember stuff im interested in it not like Uni work

gwenudo

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Oct 25, 2012, 03:08 PM
Quote from: gwenudo666 on Oct 25, 2012, 03:00 PM
Im the same as you i am 18 aswell didn't have anything to major just the usual teenage problems but just the day to day help i get from their music like ill listen to deftones before i have big uni exam and go in calm as anything, im one of those people who listens to music all day im not really shy but i can't be fucked making fake small talk with people so i escape into the music instead. I was real late to the party aswell because of my age and being at the bottom of the world in New Zealand i hadn't heard the deftones till Diamond Eyes came out but since then i've soaked everything up spent lots of nights when i couldn't get to sleep trawling through all the youtube vids about the deftones and have retained alot of it lol so much easier to remember stuff im interested in it not like Uni work

Haha that scrolling through youtube part made me remember how i was xD i spent sleepless summer nights just jammin to all of their live stuff from old school to the new stuff and i was just so amazed!! Amazing story though its pretty awesome how us the younger ones can relate to our stories of deftones, unlike the older people on here that have been there with deftones since day one, i idolize those people for being so lucky to be with them the whole ride. Great story though it remembered me alot of me :) and btw im from texas, so cheers from texas!
Was it like it seemed?...

jciraheta

Adreanaline ..early university

Around the fur ..too

White pony ..the 2000s

Deftones self titled..my only trip to USA

S. N. W.. not sure

D.E  2010

K.Y.N ..my 30  s

TheyCallMeP

Adrenaline reminds me of late college only because I would play that disc constantly. Walking to class, walking to my apartment, getting ready to meet my friends in the city.. great times. It's not my favorite record by the group but it was the one that fit best for that moment of my life. Heavy as fuck with those screams, great lyrics at times, smooth ass half rapped vocals, and those guitar riffs. No real responsibilities yet, late nights with friends, and a bunch of aggression. Adrenaline and various punk rock albums were my bread and butter.

Bza々

Team sleep and SNW are dearest to my heart because those albums came out during some of the worst and best times of my life in college. After that would be ST, that album is when I really started to love the band. Started listening to them in 2001 with white pony though.