Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Chinos Vocal Style On Koi No Yokan

Started by ToneDef, Nov 08, 2012, 02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CandyAndy

Chino's voice has been like soft velvet molesting me eardrums over the years. Even as his voice changes, I still utterly enjoy it. But I enjoy is guttural screams and his soft floating singing. First time I heard Chino's voices in the first verse  of thholygstt by Crosses, I about peed myself in elation.

I love his voice in any way, from Lotion to Beware to Digital Bath to whatever. :)

illthrowROCKS@U

Although I may prefer his album vocals in the golden days, his live vocals have never been better than they have been since the DE era began.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

TheShade1989

Quote from: ToneDef on Nov 20, 2012, 05:03 AM
This discussion got kinda stupid. It's not an attack or defense of his voice in general. I just don't wanna be hearing somebody trying to do something they simply cannot do on a studio recorded album. It's not about his style or that he doesn't scream so much. If I want that I'll put on an older record. I just don't think he has the voice to do what he's trying to do. His singing on the record sounds better now I've listened to it lots. But there's the odd moment on it that sounds straight up embarrassing, and that shouldn't happen on record.

Can you give an example of where it sounds embarrassing? I probably wont agree with you, I dont consider any embarrassing moments, but I'm curious.

sooniletugo

Me neither, I think he sounds strong throughout the album.

ToneDef

Quote from: TheShade1989 on Nov 20, 2012, 05:13 PM
Quote from: ToneDef on Nov 20, 2012, 05:03 AM
This discussion got kinda stupid. It's not an attack or defense of his voice in general. I just don't wanna be hearing somebody trying to do something they simply cannot do on a studio recorded album. It's not about his style or that he doesn't scream so much. If I want that I'll put on an older record. I just don't think he has the voice to do what he's trying to do. His singing on the record sounds better now I've listened to it lots. But there's the odd moment on it that sounds straight up embarrassing, and that shouldn't happen on record.

Can you give an example of where it sounds embarrassing? I probably wont agree with you, I dont consider any embarrassing moments, but I'm curious.

Sure, off the top of my head, the chorus of Leathers and the intro and breakdown/bridge of Tempest. The chorus of Leathers mostly though. If you agree you win one compliment and five internets.

I should also make it clear he's my favourite vocalist ever. This is my favourite band ever. I have, like, the sickest Deftones tattoo ever, you know? The man himself has given it his seal of approval, haha. It sounds like I'm being super negative about the guy but I'm not. There are just moments in this record that rub me up the wrong way. But it's still a fucking fantastic record. Its the fucking Deftones, obviously.

DeftonesNZ

See your point,Tattoo sounds cool is it the self titled cover?

ToneDef

DeftonesNZ

that's way better people always get the skull, is that the hexagram single cover the one that had lovers on it?

ToneDef

Yeah, it's inside the booklet of the album too, but I took both to use. It's quite old now but still looks great.

DeftonesNZ

Still looks pretty fresh was obviously done properly I hate cheap tattoos

ToneDef

That's a really old picture actually, like 5 years old maybe? I dunno. Sometimes I regret it a little, but fuck it. It's nicely done and I love the band.

sing blue silver

I really like the vocal change aside from all the "oh's". It seems to work at projecting that positive mind set of the band more. The lyrical change, not so much. There's a whole lot of lines on the album I love but as I mentioned in my review of this album, Deftones isn't a band I want to see writing about the apocalypse and time travel. Swerve City I find particularly bad. I get this etherial, mystic vibe from it and it seems so out of place. Plus the aforementioned "oh's" on that song make me cringe. But overall I enjoy the lyrics. Don't know why people bash Romantic Dreams so much. It's one of my favourites. Goon Squad, Gauze, Poltergeist, Graphic Dreams and Entombed all bring me much joy. Still loving the album though I can't say I really care for Swerve City at all.

Side note, I have 3 Deftones tattoos and 2 are clearly visible on my forearm. The questions about the lyrics from Headup on my arm get a little tiresome from people who don't know Deftones or care and just go like "huh" and it gets awkward, but I don't regret a single one a bit.