Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Favourite era

Started by SomeOf, Nov 19, 2012, 02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hidalgo

big shocker what wins on this S/T cult board(sharingbrains). knew for 100% fact it would win

i'd rank the eras like this

WP (huge buzz around the band then, change gettin good mtv & radio play (buzzworthy video), TRL, the orriginal message board was swamped with people, it went platinum, won them a grammy, from when WP came out they sold over 1 million albums in 9 months for all 3 albums combined(dwarfs anything they've done sales wise since), the EP, & the videos were all cool (well bts was kinda goofy), glassjaw tour, incubus opening for them on bts tour. there were some down points, like Chino blowin out his voice, things that had to do with that, & adding BTS to WP which they regret. but the pros outweigh the cons. they were on fire, & actually got some decent attention for once (not near as much as they deserved, but far more than they've ever gotten before or since)

ATF - top of their game, 2 great videos, not 1 bad live show, carving out some serious buzz that led to WP being so anticipated. 97-98 were also the best years of my life, so that helps. this era was great

adrenaline - i got into the band in late 95, & didn't get the internet until early 2000, so i couldn't keep track of a whole lot of what they did (in the ATF era i started to keep up by readin circus, etc) but i had the 7 words video on tape probably nov 95, & ordred the album then in 95, & just loved their sound(unlike anyone i'd ever heard), i was 16 & pretty proud i found a  lesser known band that was so good. i really helped spread the love for deftones around this city like a wildfire. anyway, they were badass in the adrenaline era, not 1 bad show, raw as hell, heavy as all hell. adrenaline is way underrated here, almost criminally

diamond eyes - the comeback. best album since WP (at the time at least, not sure if KNY is better, only listened to KNY 4 times so far, cause i'm trying to keep it fresh for a while, it's tough laying off) anyway, return to from after the 2 worst album in a row s/t & snw(yet still fine albums), Chino was skinny again (nobody thought that would happen, it got noticable & kinda uncool when s/t came out, & was really bad for snw, probably effected sales for both, especially snw). they made 5 really good videos, the ep, live shows were sounding better, they actually appreciatd the awesome job they have again. great era

like linus - i love the songs from this era (some of their best tunes for sure) the 1992 live show, & the few clips of then. they rocked, & it's the start of what got them signed. love the vibe i get from all of it, wish i'd had known about them then, but it was next to impossible living in ohio, & being so young, no internet, etc

KNY. the era has just started, but it's great so far. love the album. just need some videos, & pro shot live stuff to truly rank it, but i know it's ahead of s/t & snw for me. some great videos like from the DE era, & a dvd would do wonders for this era. the elusive dvd will NEVER HAPPEN EVER though

s/t - a cool era in it's own way, just a different kinda cool. it was negative mostly. starting with Chino getting grilled by the music world for doggin out metallica & korn. he was pretty bitter that whole year (i don't blame him. i think he has some anger about how many shit bands have outsold them, & how korn & LB blew up way overboard compaired to them. like mustaine has for metallica etc. i think he still has this anger & frustration even today, but he showed it more in interviews then, & i think now he appreciates that they are at least big enough to make a living of what they do. then he was pissed about what they weren't gettin, not greatfull about what they did) that cover on the magazine was horrible too, he looked awful. minerva got solid mtv play & radio play. the live shows were hit or miss, usually good. bloody cape video was coo. hex video was ehh, ok. cool era, but the album wasn't on the level of the first 3 imo. it was the first album i saw the message board really take serious heat. i think Chino had a bit of writers block writing the lyrics & melodies (& it's his most off key album, he sounds the worst on it, but it;s still awesome, it's Chino effin Moreno we're talkin about here) his scream was still top notch then at least. overall, it wasn't good times in deftones land then. dark times. they didn't seem to be having much fun, just going through the motions with the album, & live. & for how dark people here said the album is, it has their most uplifting song probably in minerva, & for how heavy everyone here says it is, it had 4 heavy songs out of 11. it was pretty mellow mostly. the album did go Gold, that may never happen again with they way album sales are these days. tough enough era in the first place, but with how badly it's overrated here, it makes it even worse (omg 2003 is the best year ever for deftones, only 2003 matters. bizzar'o world here), & they left off what i think it hands down the best song of that era, lovers. i think alot of the fanbase left after this album & this era. it did some serious damage imo (snw's era continued the downward spiral but worse)

SNW. - can't decide if this is my least fav deftones album, or s/t. probably s/t. snw by a sliver because of riviere (but i pretty much adore both). this era was a mess, the videos absolutely sucked. Chino just looked so bad in those that it didn't work, & bad ideas for the videos anyway. i like all their other videos. i did get to hang out with them in sept 06 so that'll always make the era cool for me. good album, but overall their worst era

Vesanic

The second part of the S/T era (July 2003 - December 2003). Everything was awesome. Everything. The setlists, the vocals (not all of them and not everyday, but you know...), the mood, the setup of their live shows, the music. Their aura onstage was beyond marvellous.

Gee

I"m surprised people dig the S/T era so much. The 'tones lost some fans -and respect with the whole Metallica/Korn incident- the videos were ok but not exceptionnal, the interviews were awful -Chino and the others being depressed or apathic- ... I mean, don"t get me wrong, I love that era, i'm really nostalgic about it since it was the first cd I actually anticipated and bought, was very excited about the booklet, the enhanced content on the cd -yeah, with Youtube you don"t get that anymore- some of the shows were epic -the release show, paris in september 2003...- and let's not forget it is still today, to me, the best stuff they released after WP.

Anyway, I would have thought WP and ATF would have gotten more success.

By the way, it's fun to rank eras. Next we should rank Chino's shirts. JK
"When I show up, it's all good" Chino Moreno

SomeOf

Quote from: Gee on Nov 22, 2012, 11:47 PM
=By the way, it's fun to rank eras. Next we should rank Chino's shirts. JK

Compare eras (album, live performances, interviews, photoshoot, artworks, universe, atmosphere) is very similar than to compare Chino's shirts... Yes, I know it's a joke but come on guys.

For the rest of your post, I think "people" didn't like the ST because it's too dark, heavy and violent, but the "fans" really liked it because it's everything about Deftones's sound.
I mean, after WP, everybody was waiting for WP2 and they did something really far away with lots of rage.

People, radio, tv... they all want to hear Change, Entombed, Sextape but real fans wants all the beautiful melodic part of the band, but also WGTB, Hexagram, Bloody Cape, Needles And Pins...

nineteen

It's a fine line between the ATF and S/T era but I think the ATF era wins for me. Special time and energy in the band.

tarkil

1994–1996 for me. Such intense and crazy shows, so much energy, etc.

Can't believe I'm the only one who voted for this era !!!!

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Slacker

Quote from: tarkil on Nov 26, 2012, 06:43 AM

yeah, its a hard one between the adrenaline years and ATF.

its pretty fucked up that no one else have voted for adrenaline...

no oldschool love. and i consider myself oldschool, while im a '99 generation...

support oldschool.

Playhouse

Quote from: Slacker on Nov 26, 2012, 12:22 PM

yeah, its a hard one between the adrenaline years and ATF.

its pretty fucked up that no one else have voted for adrenaline...

no oldschool love. and i consider myself oldschool, while im a '99 generation...

support oldschool.

oldschool for president!!

from_musings

i voted this era becuse of chino's dreads