Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

True Detective (new HBO show)

Started by theis, Jan 14, 2014, 11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blixa

first of all, i'm really noticing fukunaga's absence and secondly, i was right about vaughn. completely miscast. i thought the first episode was very shit and the symbolism was way too obvious. they're either going to have a very unspectacular second season to work up to a better third season or it will pick up. i'm hoping it's the latter. some of the dialogue was really contrived. i felt like they were personally apologising to me by using an ellis and cave song in the end.

overall i'm very disappointed, but i will keep watching.

blixa

and they had access to cohen's entire discography and made a bad choice. i'm not feeling the opening song for the show and i say this as a big cohen fan.

bright lights, big city

I thought that song at the end sounded familiar. I can see your complaints, and I'm not in on Vaughn just yet. I think he's got it in him to be alright in this role.

Had no problem with the script though. Contrived? I guess maybe somewhat, but when I tune in to TD, I want some dark characters, with dark philosophies and dialogue, and that makes me happy. Maybe the way everything was delivered was a little contrived, but I still dig it.

And like I said before, I'm in no matter what. If it's half as good as last year, I'll like it. Of shows that I'm watching right now, a mediocre TD is still my 2nd favorite show after Hannibal.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

blixa

i'm just...not feeling vaughn whatsoever. but i've thought he's shit in everything. colin farrell was good. i also liked mcadams.

the insults didn't make sense. there was no dark philosophies and dialogue really. and when it tried to go there that's when it sounded contrived. i don't want another season one because that's already been done and it was brilliant, but i feel it shouldn't try so hard.

and taylor kitsch with his erectile dysfunction. omg.

bright lights, big city

well from what I've heard (a podcast I just conveniently listened to), critics have seen 3 eps, and each gets better and better. If that means more smoking, snorting coke, drinking Modelo, and a bottle of scotch, then putting on a ski mask, I'm alllllll in.
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Crazylegs

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Jun 24, 2015, 07:53 PM
well from what I've heard (a podcast I just conveniently listened to), critics have seen 3 eps, and each gets better and better. If that means more smoking, snorting coke, drinking Modelo, and a bottle of scotch, then putting on a ski mask, I'm alllllll in.

Hopefully that is the case. I think it's early to judge the potential of the season after just one episode. It usually takes at least a few episodes for shit to get really good, and for me to truly get into said shit.

blixa

i read an article that they had access to three episodes. i'll see if it does. i have a really shitty feeling about vaughn. he just looks out of place. i'm loving this self-destructive route velcoro is on. i was cringing at everything he was doing almost like, "DON'T DO IT, BITCH. DON'T DO IT!" and then he goes and does it.

i don't hate it. i know it comes off as i do but i don't. i think the slowness is great. i just miss the southern twaaaaang haha

bright lights, big city

So I guess now I'm going all Game of Thrones for the end of this episode. Can't be dead.

And I liked Vaughn in this one. I think he's doing alright, even if sometimes I'm picturing him as his character in Wedding Crashers when he walks around. His monologue was pretty awesome, maybe not quite on the level of Rust Cohle's best, but I dug it.

Moar Bezzerides looking up pr0n, please. And drunk mayor FTW. Kinda weird how much I laugh during this show.
DERP

blixa

omg i just finished episode 2. wtfffff?!? why would he go check the house out on his own? bird head guy is fucking brutal. that fucking bird is creeping the fuck out of me. i also don't think he's dead. velcoro is the only thing this show has got going on. calling an e-cig a "robot's dick" is genius.

still not buying vaughn.

blixa

and mcadams just reminded me that i need to masturbate tonight. cheers, my lady.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: blixa on Jun 29, 2015, 06:04 PM
and mcadams just reminded me that i need to masturbate tonight. cheers, my lady.
beat you to it
DERP

lithium

Frank's story about how his dad would lock him up in the basement while he was out drinking was brutal
💩

Vesanic

I don't see how Velcoro could die now. But that looked pretty fucking toast to me. Not expecting some nice-titted red lady to bring him back either.

blixa

could it be one of those guns that isn't a gun? you know, one of those guns that have something else in them besides bullets. oh, forget it. i hate guns.

i think he might have been wearing a vest. he can't die. he's in the rest of the show. unless he's there in flashbacks. nah. not dead. can't be.

bright lights, big city

Gotta be a vest. And yeah, could've been those beanbag rounds they use for riots. Or rock salt rounds.

Maybe birdman shot off his dick like they specifically/horribly showed earlier in the episode, and wanted to keep him alive.
DERP

blixa

no. not his dick!

i don't think he's dead. i think this will have a changing affect on his character though, and if so, i would love to see that progression.

Vesanic

Quote from: blixa on Jul 03, 2015, 12:43 PM
could it be one of those guns that isn't a gun? you know, one of those guns that have something else in them besides bullets. oh, forget it. i hate guns.

For a gun that size I thought the blasts weren't all that noisy. But that's just me being a moron.

blixa

that wasn't loud? i thought it was loud. but i'm almost 100% they're not bullets.

Vesanic

Well yeah, the impacts were weird, was there any blood?

Anyway, I'm not buying Vaughn either so far. I don't mind him as an actor at all, he can be good, but I'd have expected more grit to his character in this.

blixa

i don't remember seeing blood but it ended so abruptly.

i can't stand vaughn there. he is ruining the whole show for me. never seen someone so fucking miscast.