Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Album Week Gold Edition, Week 5: Crazylegs' favorites

Started by Crazylegs, Jan 09, 2015, 04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazylegs

Allright, here we go. I decided to include quite a few of my favorites of the last year. By that i don't necessarily mean that these songs were released last year, but they've been some of my most played songs. I've split it into two playlists. Side A which includes mostly the busier/heavier music, and side B with more mellow stuff. So i'd like you to check them both out of course, but if you're not in the mood, you know, whatever...

Side A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quou6o05g5A&list=PLW-Gx6tDC_BHTQZ3cE4iK22sYUOmLkiRZ

Ty Segall - The Singer (Manipulator - 2014)
A great record filled with catchy rock tunes. I got into Ty Segall some time last year, and i'm amazed by the amount of stuff he's released and at the rate of which he does it. That's no small feat considering most of the stuff is pretty bad ass. He's a total garage band virtuoso.

Action Bronson - Easy Rider (Mr. Wonderful - [tbr])
Not big on hip hop, but i do like Action Bronson. Pretty funny video too.

Motorpsycho - The Promise (Behind the Sun - 2014)
You may be tired of hearing about these guys, but they're one of my favorites. I'll try and push them on everyone until the day i die, because they're great. Much like Ty Segall, these guys never quit. They had their 25 year anniversary last year, and still release records at a pace of like 1.5 every year (And they're all amazing). This year they're talking of releasing 3 god damned records (I won't believe it until i have all three in my hands). Anyways the last few years they've been doing mostly psychedelic/progressive stuff. This tune is just one of so many great ones of their last record.

Metz - Wet Blanket (Metz - 2012)
Lots of energy, lots of noise.

The Mire - Triple Gemini (Glass Cathedrals -2014)
A while ago i posted The Mire's Volume II ep in another album of the week thread, and the response was pretty good, and rightfully so. These guys play sludgy post metal, but they have a pretty broad appeal i think. Thery're very riff heavy, but mixed with a great sense of melody. This whole record is sooo enjoyable. Check it out if you like what you hear.

Yob - Marrow (Clearing the Path to Ascend - 2014)
Fucking Yob, man. SPINECRUSHING SLUDGY, DOOMY RIFFS. Would you be surprised if i said that the main riff in this tune is just the third heaviest riff out of four tracks on this album. I can't recommend this band enough.

Side B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INnstYCNIQc&list=PLW-Gx6tDC_BFun2bGHduHtKr_oevqxGAh

Sun Kil Moon - Truck Driver (Benji 2014)
One of my favorite singer/songwriters the last few years. This album is filled with total bummers. Starting of with a hat-trick of death. Then the next one is about awkward first sexual encounters as if i need fucking reminders of my own. If you like melancholic music (they're not all total bummers, some are actually pretty sweet). Truck Driver is probably my favorite from this one. But if you like what you hear and haven't heard a lot of Sun Kil Moon, i'd advise you to check out "Admiral Fell Promises", "April", and "Ghosts of the Great Highway".

Angel Olsen - White Fire(Burn your fire for no witness - 2014)
Angel Olsen sounds like a female Leonard Cohen in this one. I had a hard time deciding on which one of her songs to include, and if you like this i would check out the whole album. "Unfucktheworld" is another great track if you're curious.

Chad VanGaalen - Peace on the Rise (Diaper Island - 2011)
This dude... I've been listening to non stop lately. With him too i had a hard time deciding on which song to pick, cause there's so many great ones. If you like what you hear, check out "Molten Light", "Willow Tree", "Flower Gardens", "Shave my Pussy", "Monster", the list goes on and on. His videos are great too. He does all the art and animation himself. He also did a great video for the Metz song "Get off". Right now, this is my favorite artist.

Papir - I(IIII - 2014)
One of my random discoveries. Seems to be a pretty unknown Danish psychedelic band. I fell in love with this tune and bought the record right away.

Connan Mockasin - It's Choade my Dear (Forever Dolphin Love - 2011)
Psychedelic dream/jangle-pop. I know Darius has some love for this one at least. This dude is awesome. The voice is ridiculous, the videos and costumes are ridiculous, his hair is ridiculous. HIS NAME most of all is ridiculous. The music is so wonderful! This whole album is just a pleasure to listen to. It may sound like like a joke to some at first, but if you embrace the quirkyness, you'll love it! Oh, and if you like this one, check out the song "Fakin Jazz together" too.

Horace Silver - Lonely Woman (Songs for my Father - 1964)
I included this one, which is a total mismatch with the rest. But i've been in love with this song for a year and a half. I'll let it serve as an encore, to calm your nerves after all these awesome songs. Close your eyes, lay down, let it soothe you. It's nice to have something other than "Blue in green" anytime you feel like some smooth calming jazz.

Thanks for listening.

E-Money

An bád dubh

Nice. I will listen to both lists back to back, without checking anything else from the artists in between. I will give both lists another listen and check out some other stuff from the bands if I like what I hear. Here are my thoughts on the first listen: (by the way, the Side A youtube-link, when clicked, goes to just the Ty Segall -song. When copied to a new window it goes to the playlist)

Side A

Ty Segall:
- Not sure if Ive ever checked him out, I dont think I have. Sounds fun, happy, although not in an annoying way. I like his voice and the sound. I will check out some more songs on the second listen.

Action Bronson:

- Never heard of him before. Cool stuff. The guy sounds really black although he's white I guess. Cool video indeed :) I will check more on the second listen.

Motorpsycho:
- Ive checked them many times and never gotten into them. Same here, it sounds okay but somethings just missing. I need to wait a few years more to see if I get into them.

Metz:
- Havent heard of them before. Musically rather intriguing. I will check their other stuff but has to be something really good to get me interested in the long run.

The Mire:
- I guess I checked them during the fall but cant remember what I thought. This sounds like a heavier version of The Dear Hunter, pretty alright. I will see how their other stuff sounds like.

YOB:
- I probably checked them too during the fall but cant remember anything. Sounds a tad boring for me, rather slow-paced, although musically good and intriguing still. I probably wont check their other stuff.

Side B

Sun Kil Moon:
- Like Ive said before, I dont like his storytelling-style. Maybe after some years I will.

Angel Olsen:
- Hmm, not sure if I like the vocals that much. Similar storytelling-style as with the previous artist. Doesnt do much for me at the moment, maybe I will like it when I start liking Sun Kil Moon. The problem for me with this style of music is that I dont really care much for listening to the lyrics. Its just sort of exhausting for me. I like to listen to the music and the vocal melodies. If tehre are some good lyrics in the package, then great. But the lyrics are never the number 1 for me.

Chad VanGaalen:
- I like the simple guitar. I noticed myself not even waiting for the vocals on this one. They just kinda came in and I was like, ok, sounds alright. The music is fun and clever, the vocals and the vocal melodies are ok too. I will check out more from him on the second listen.

Papir:
- I checked them also before, cant remember anything though. Sounds a bit slow and a bit too happy for me. Doesnt trigger anything in me.

Connan Mockasin:
- Well, he doesnt seem so odd to me, although I guess he is :D The music doesnt bring out any emotions. Its like a combination of 100 different artists, the way it sounds like. Its somehow good but somehow doesnt intrigue me. Hard to say really. I probably wont check more at this point.

Horace Silver:
- Sounds cool. Very smooth. I could see myself listening to this sometimes. I will check out more from him on the second listen.

Thanks Crazylegs!

An bád dubh

So who does Week 6? Anyone new? If not, should we start a new round of 5 weeks?

An bád dubh

Well, if theres no one new, lets start a new round!

I can do the Album Week Gold Edition, Week 6 today/early tomorrow. I have a lot of bands which I have never even mentioned on this board. That will probably be my idea for the week too, bands that Ive never mentioned, from certain genres. I am collecting a "GoList" on my SansaClip daily when I listen to music on my way to work. I will probably choose from there. Lets keep this going no matter how many or few comment on the weeks, Im sure theres a lot of people who check the stuff still.

Crazylegs

lostpilot

Crazylegs

black coffee

Got to admit there wasnt really anything in it for me in the heavy playlist. The Mire is great, been listening to them for months now. In the second playlist I gave up early cause I am not into this songwriter, psychedelic stuff.

Overall this album of the week thingie is fun, but a little downside about this imo: Being a member here for so many years, I kind of know what some of you guys listen to. And when I know beforehand that our tastes n music are too different, I see no point in listening to everything you present since theres a big chance I won't like most of it.

How bout we turn this into a thing ( its just an idea of course ), like I create a topic "give me some music similar to Meshuggah / Tesseract" and then you guys try to meet that request with bands I don't know. Like I said, just a little brainstorming. Cheers

An bád dubh

Quote from: black coffee on Feb 20, 2015, 04:37 PM

How bout we turn this into a thing ( its just an idea of course ), like I create a topic "give me some music similar to Meshuggah / Tesseract" and then you guys try to meet that request with bands I don't know. Like I said, just a little brainstorming. Cheers
This idea sounds good to me. I would be in.

Edit. By the way, in which section of the board could we do it in? Not many people visit the Album week -board and that idea is kinda not album weeks anyways, but we could do it here.. Then again, more people visit eg. Music General Discussion, but there it would have to be a single long thread I guess. Dont know if that would matter though. Just some thoughts.

There was this thread "Find me a similar band/genre thread) back in the days in the Download and Request Board: http://www.sharinglungs.com/index.php/topic,17270.msg723211.html#msg723211