Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

What is the origin of the name Team Sleep?

Started by ipsoZoltar, Jun 09, 2015, 09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipsoZoltar

Apparently it took about a year for the band members to agree on the name, or for the suits to agree or something, so I don't know if it's maybe a taboo subject, or maybe a touchy issue among the band members.

Quote"And it took even a year longer than that for the name Team Sleep to come to fruition." – via - http://www.team-sleep.com/biography.htm

Cool name.  Love the name!  Perhaps a slight nod to the band Sleep, or certain shared non-musical creative commonalities?  (Or maybe that was one of the alleged contentions to not at all be associated with the band Sleep.)

In any case, it would be great to understand the band name's origins.

Thank you!

cvthedrv

i've always thought it has relation with the dream pop or shoe gaze, and all this kind of dreamy music, even as you said, stoner music.

digital bath

Some of my friends and relatives think that Team Sleep is a synonym for group sex.

buddyboy101

Quote from: digital bath on Jun 09, 2015, 05:31 PM
Some of my friends and relatives think that Team Sleep is a synonym for group sex.

lol i love it. 

there's an interview where chino said he always liked the simplicity of the band name "sleep", but since it was already taken and since he's playing with a "team" of his friends, the band was named "team sleep."

Crazylegs

Quote from: digital bath on Jun 09, 2015, 05:31 PM

I don't know how to interpret this comment.

ipsoZoltar

Quote from: buddyboy101 on Jun 09, 2015, 07:43 PM"there's an interview where chino said he always liked the simplicity of the band name "sleep", but since it was already taken and since he's playing with a "team" of his friends, the band was named "team sleep."

Thank you!

(I'd love to get a link if anyone comes across the interview, as well as any additional information - like which band member originated the idea "Team Sleep"...)

Agameoftwo

It was supposed to be because the music was dreamy and was meant for you to put headphones on while in bed

Freedomsoldier17

Quote from: Agameoftwo on Jul 12, 2016, 12:59 AM
It was supposed to be because the music was dreamy and was meant for you to put headphones on while in bed

i've done this and can confirm, TS is definitely nighttime music

sooniletugo

Word. Really relaxes me at night, even the heavier songs.

And it's probably my favourite band name ever haha.

Shadow46/2

Always loved their name, very ironic/humorous.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

Penicks

deftones47

If that's what their name means, then I should try listening to them while I sleep at least once.