Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazylegs

Red Pill

Quote from: snw9 on Apr 27, 2017, 05:51 PM
Quote from: BewareTheWater on Apr 26, 2017, 07:21 PM
Quote from: Red Pill on Apr 26, 2017, 12:12 PM
Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 26, 2017, 05:35 AM
If I had to choose between S/T and your life, I'd choose S/T every time.

f I had to choose between a rock and your life, I'd choose a rock every time.

Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 26, 2017, 05:14 PM
That's obvious. You clearly smoke a lot of crack rocks.

This is beautiful...

Inkblades, talk about hitting a new low hahahahahha

You are delusional ... That phrase is overused just like your mom vagina...

Bifrost

It's crazy how polarizing Gore has been, even a year later folks are still pretty heated over it.

Every Deftones release has been met with equal amounts of fans nostalgic for an older sound and those stoked about just getting new 'deftones music' but for the first time to me (as a long time fan) Gore seems lean a little more towards the disappointed side.

What do you guys think, am I right that the general consensus has been that Gore is a disappointment or is like past albums with equal parts hate for it and love for it?

LG95

I think what you're saying is partly true and partly false. If you looked at the sales and the reviews and, more relevantly, if you polled every Deftones fan (not just the morons on reddit) the overall reception would almost certainly be positive (which is the case for every Deftones album and fucking rightly so). This is nowhere near, for example, the recent case of Suicide Silence. I honestly don't even think it's arguable that the majority of Deftones fans like Gore.

The difference between Gore and the rest of their discography is that a) there has been more negativity, and b) this negativity has been more aggressive. Because of the way the internet is, all it takes is for you to read a few people being aggressive towards it and suddenly it seems like the overall reception is one of disappointment, which it wasn't and isn't, by and large. At the other end, unlike Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan (as the recent examples), the praise Gore has received hasn't been as emphatic - I mean, how many people have you heard/read say that Gore is the best or even in the top three Deftones albums? That was the sort of praise some were giving DE and KNY. Even those who really like Gore (including me) aren't giving it that sort of praise. That means the negativity has more impact, because you're less likely to praise or even defend something vociferously if you 'merely' like it, rather than love it. If someone says White Pony's shit, I respond every time - I can't help myself. If someone says Gore's shit, I think they're talking bollocks but I'm not as bothered about defending it because I don't have anywhere near the attachment to it that I have with White Pony.

I reckon if you polled every genuine Deftones fan, I think you'd find that a majority enjoy it, a minority love it and a minority dislike/hate it.
I could float here forever

ANattyRat

Quote from: Bifrost on Jun 01, 2017, 08:15 PM
It's crazy how polarizing Gore has been, even a year later folks are still pretty heated over it.

Every Deftones release has been met with equal amounts of fans nostalgic for an older sound and those stoked about just getting new 'deftones music' but for the first time to me (as a long time fan) Gore seems lean a little more towards the disappointed side.

What do you guys think, am I right that the general consensus has been that Gore is a disappointment or is like past albums with equal parts hate for it and love for it?

I think most people like it. I'd say it's definitely the best album out of the three since Sergio came in. By which I don't just mean my opinion, I mean in terms of hardcore fans, new fans, critics, etc. Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan got mostly good reviews as far as I recall, but the reviews for Gore seemed to blow them out of the water.

As an album from a band many people love, it's definitely got a lot of differing opinions, as all of their albums basically do. But I have definitely seen more positive comments than negative. Especially for the music itself. A lot of people's main criticism is the production of the music interfering in their feelings towards the music, so although of course some fans dislike the album or feel it could be better, or even hate it...I do think more people, at the very least, have overall positive feelings towards it.

ANattyRat

Quote from: LG95 on Jun 01, 2017, 08:57 PM
At the other end, unlike Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan (as the recent examples), the praise Gore has received hasn't been as emphatic - I mean, how many people have you heard/read say that Gore is the best or even in the top three Deftones albums? That was the sort of praise some were giving DE and KNY. Even those who really like Gore (including me) aren't giving it that sort of praise. That means the negativity has more impact, because you're less likely to praise or even defend something vociferously if you 'merely' like it, rather than love it. If someone says White Pony's shit, I respond every time - I can't help myself. If someone says Gore's shit, I think they're talking bollocks but I'm not as bothered about defending it because I don't have anywhere near the attachment to it that I have with White Pony..

I've found the opposite in terms of reviews and praise. The comments people gave Gore always seemed so much better than Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan, but maybe that's just a lack of remembering the details of those albums' reviews. But for me, it actually is in my top three. It's behind White Pony and ST, so although I'm no doubt in the minority, people like myself who do really love the album exist for sure. I don't even remember many people saying that Diamond Eyes or Koi No Yokan were in their top three, a lot of it was down to hype. I remember so many people absolutely adoring those albums, especially Diamond Eyes, and over time their love for it just kind of faded. Very few people have anything other then ATF to SNW as their top three, as far as I've noticed, haha. But again, on the Internet it's definitely easy to see some comments and assume it's the majority opinion.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: LG95 on Jun 01, 2017, 08:57 PM
I think what you're saying is partly true and partly false. If you looked at the sales and the reviews and, more relevantly, if you polled every Deftones fan (not just the morons on reddit) the overall reception would almost certainly be positive (which is the case for every Deftones album and fucking rightly so). This is nowhere near, for example, the recent case of Suicide Silence. I honestly don't even think it's arguable that the majority of Deftones fans like Gore.

The difference between Gore and the rest of their discography is that a) there has been more negativity, and b) this negativity has been more aggressive. Because of the way the internet is, all it takes is for you to read a few people being aggressive towards it and suddenly it seems like the overall reception is one of disappointment, which it wasn't and isn't, by and large. At the other end, unlike Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan (as the recent examples), the praise Gore has received hasn't been as emphatic - I mean, how many people have you heard/read say that Gore is the best or even in the top three Deftones albums? That was the sort of praise some were giving DE and KNY. Even those who really like Gore (including me) aren't giving it that sort of praise. That means the negativity has more impact, because you're less likely to praise or even defend something vociferously if you 'merely' like it, rather than love it. If someone says White Pony's shit, I respond every time - I can't help myself. If someone says Gore's shit, I think they're talking bollocks but I'm not as bothered about defending it because I don't have anywhere near the attachment to it that I have with White Pony.

I reckon if you polled every genuine Deftones fan, I think you'd find that a majority enjoy it, a minority love it and a minority dislike/hate it.

These are basically my exact sentiments. Where DE and KNY got the initial love, I believe the love for those albums has fallen off a bit for most people. Gore is more of a grower, with (in my opinion) far more staying power than either of those two releases.

The critical reviews for Gore do seem to be much greater than that of DE, but KNY got the best critical reception of any Deftones release.
(http://www.metacritic.com/person/deftones?filter-options=music&sort_options=metascore&num_items=30)

In the end, I think the problem comes from people judging their albums from a comparative standpoint. I mean, how could you not? It's hard to judge a new album's strength without first looking back on their biggest classics like ATF, WP, and ST. This isn't at all unique to Deftones, it happens with every band.

But what is unique for Deftones, is that each album really stands on its own. When judged on an individual basis, I think most people can agree Gore is a good album. Maybe not "great," but certainly good. It's just hard to separate the new work from the past.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

BewareTheWater

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Jun 03, 2017, 07:23 PM

But what is unique for Deftones, is that each album really stands on its own. When judged on an individual basis, I think most people can agree Gore is a good album. Maybe not "great," but certainly good. It's just hard to separate the new work from the past.
This.

Bifrost

Good feedback guys - thanks!

Seven

Gore = weak ... deftones - L(mirl) biggest fail ever

Sicario

It still bothers me that Gore could be so much more if the mixing was done better. At least I think it's the mixing. Some of the songs would be massive if they didn't sound flat or restrained.
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

B0RNtoR0CK

Quote from: Sicario on Jun 07, 2017, 03:25 AM
It still bothers me that Gore could be so much more if the mixing was done better. At least I think it's the mixing. Some of the songs would be massive if they didn't sound flat or restrained.
Yup, pretty much. I can't stand listening to it at times. Too many annoying things going on that could've been fixed with proper mixing. Probably my least fav album of all, sadly.

defTHE1s

Well, a few weeks ago I got a decent vinyl player and later I got Gore on vinyl last week, and surprisingly, it sounds like... don't know how to say it... less saturated, like more clear on certain details.
It's true that mixing could have been better but at least on vinyl in comparison with the CD (that's what I'm saying "surprisingly") it sounds better at least for me.
Anyone sharing their appreciation or opinion on vinyl vs CD version?

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

stephtones

Quote from: defTHE1s on Jun 14, 2017, 03:32 AM
Well, a few weeks ago I got a decent vinyl player and later I got Gore on vinyl last week, and surprisingly, it sounds like... don't know how to say it... less saturated, like more clear on certain details.
It's true that mixing could have been better but at least on vinyl in comparison with the CD (that's what I'm saying "surprisingly") it sounds better at least for me.

I have the 180G vinyl and the standard issue and found both to sound equally lackluster, in my opinion. I've even tried the mastered for itunes version of the album hoping to find a mix that I actually liked. Seriously hoping they go back to Terry Date with the next album.

defTHE1s

Quote from: stephtones on Jun 15, 2017, 02:48 AM
Quote from: defTHE1s on Jun 14, 2017, 03:32 AM

I have the 180G vinyl and the standard issue and found both to sound equally lackluster, in my opinion. I've even tried the mastered for itunes version of the album hoping to find a mix that I actually liked. Seriously hoping they go back to Terry Date with the next album.
Yeah, it still doesn't sound as perfect as we would like (I have the white ones) but still, I listened to it with headphones even and it sounds better than the CD itself.
But yeah, I'm one of those who want Terry back with them!

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

Martin

About to finish listening to 'Gore' on 180gram vinyl. To me, there seems to be more room and more air within the songs. Instruments and sounds stand out a bit more, a bit better.

defTHE1s

Quote from: Martin on Jun 21, 2017, 05:50 PM
there seems to be more room and more air within the songs. Instruments and sounds stand out a bit more, a bit better.
Yes to this.
Like a little less compressed.

truthaddict

I took about a 5 month break from this one without really thinking about.  Played it again last night, and enjoyed it a lot more than I remembered. 

I'm sure the band must realize that the mix/mastering is asscheecks by now though.  Hopefully they eventually release it again with that part redone.  Even if it was just a digital release...

Martin

Just finished listening to it on vinyl again. Still keeps on giving. Enjoyed the record when I first got it, I'm still getting deeper into it and I'm loving every moment of it. Wonder how I'll feel about it in a few years time.

defTHE1s

What you all prefer, 2 LPs or 1 EP format?