Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

My Early Years

Started by hephty, Feb 20, 2017, 09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hephty

The Story of My Early Years

In my first year I developed the habit of headbanging in my crib, especially at night. We think I developed the habit from my mom bouncing me on a pillow on her knees, and I just naturally carried on all on my own. They couldn't get me to stop the habit and took me to see a doctor to see if anything was wrong with me. The doctors didn't think anything was troubling me, and told my mother that these things happen, and that there was nothing wrong with me. When I became old enough to walk, I made a game of jumping, and diving head first into objects. I liked to climb up to the higher spots I could find and jump into coffee tables and end tables. In my toddler years I had split my head open numerous times requiring stitches, and can still count about 8-9 scars on my head, mostly on or around my eyebrows (not to mention the times I leaped but didn't split my head open.) I believe I made up the 'jumping' game as a result of my nocturnal headbanging, but that can't be proved. When I started school, I noticed that one scar in particular popped out, and I likened it to a lightning bolt. I showed all my teachers and friends my 'lightning bolt' by telling them about it, then scrunching my brow to make it pop out. My teachers thought it was humorous at times.

When I was 3-4 years old I learned to be left handed. I was coloring at the kitchen table one day when my left handed uncle, Joe, suggested I color with my left hand and I thought it was the cool thing to do. After that, my left hand was my go to hand and it easily became my good hand. I moved in with my dad a year or two later. We were playing basketball with some big kids, I was 5 or 6, and my dad must've saw me using my left hand because he said 'shoot the ball with your right hand!' and I said 'like this?' and he said, 'No, your right hand! Don't you know what your right hand is?' Then he called me over and we had a talk. He said, 'Show me your right hand.' I gave him my left. He said, 'No, your right hand. It's the hand you write with, what hand do you write with?' I gave him my left. He then said, 'No, it's the hand you punch with.' He put his hands up and said, 'Give me your best punch.' I punched with my left. He then went on to tell me that I was using the wrong hand, and that my right was better. When I asked him why the right hand was better, he said 'Because it's a right hand world!' He then told me a list of 'right handed' things including scissors. So, I agreed to switch. I spent the next few weeks trying to relearn my dominant hand, and it was frustrating at times.

One day I was moping around near the door of the house and my dad said, 'What's wrong, you look bummed out? Why don't you go outside and play.' I said, 'I'm bored, there's nothing to do.' He said, 'Why don't you go play in the woods. You love that.' I said, 'I did that all day yesterday.' He said, 'Come on. I know you like it. Why don't you go to your favorite spot, walk the trails or something. I bet you'll have fun.' I brightened up at the thought, and said 'you're right!,' and walking off, I said hesitantly, 'But do you really think I'll have fun?' He said, 'Of course, you always do!' So, I headed out to the woods and started looking for something to entertain myself with, when I found an arrowhead (likely a spearhead) and couldn't wait to show my dad. So, I grabbed it and raced for home. I ran and was running downhill, when I noticed the arrowhead in my left hand (I was still in the task of learning to use my right, mind you), and I decided to feign a hard fall and stab myself. I decided, and tripped myself just at the bottom driving the arrowhead into my right wrist. I was bleeding profusely, and crying, fearing for my life at the loss of blood, and made my way inside to my dad. He said, 'What did you do, son?!' I told him I cut myself! He said, 'You gotta be careful, you could have killed yourself!' I said, 'What do you mean?' He said, 'You see that vein there? It goes straight to your heart. You cut that and you could bleed to death!' I replied, 'What do you mean, 'I could die?' He looked at me and said, 'You would be no more.' He then bandaged me up and told me it had a nice shape to it, and that I shouldn't mess with it or else ruin it. Still to this day, it's a well defined shape, almost a perfect V, or the v-like shape of a 5 pointed star without the arms. Anyways, after that I calmed down, and wanted to go look for the arrowhead I dropped, but my dad said he would look for me, but I had to stay inside for the rest of the day. I asked him, but he said he couldn't find it, and I couldn't find it on my own the next day.

The next few days I was amazed at how lively the woods were. I went to my dad and asked him, 'What happened?' He said, 'What do you mean?' and I told him that things were so alive and vibrant. He then told me, 'Well, nothing happened, you're just having fun!' and I left it at that.

That's my story of learning to be right handed and falling with an arrowhead, but I still imagine my toddler years, when I liked to take leaps, still played a part, and every night I was still banging my head for a few minutes before sleep, which may have played a part in all this. Even without absolute proof, I believe this to be completely probable, as I had always made a game of taking headfirst leaps.

hephty

Orpheus and Eurydice (from wikipedia)

hephty

Orpheus was the son of Apollo. I really like myths, and relate to so many, but myths are archetypes to me. And I'm sure they work in ways I don't understand completely. XD

hephty

Europa and The Bull of Zeus

hephty

Achelous and Hercules

hephty

Narcissus and Echo

hephty

Cupid and Psyche

Psyche and Pandora's Box

hephty

Hephaestus

Venus and Mars' Affair

hephty

Hermaphroditus and Salmacis

hephty

Athena (Minerva)

hephty

Achilles

hephty

Cephalus and Procris

hephty

Apollo and Daphne

Apollo and Hyacinth

hephty

Icarus and Daedalus

Phaeton

hephty

Artemis and Orion

hephty

Adonis

hephty

Dryope

hephty

edit

hephty

i've been diagnosed as schizo-affective, and they found out what i have isn't really a chemical imbalance but more along the lines of twisted wiring in the brain, amazing i can think at all. i think i got so many scars from not being able to make decisions, so yes i'm proud of who i am. people don't understand why i like my childhood so much, but it's my weaknesses becoming strengths for me. :)

hephty

Quote from: hephty on Feb 20, 2017, 09:31 PM
Orpheus and Eurydice

Orphics

Scholars of the story of Orpheus and Eurydice have likened the return of Eurydice to the land of the living as taking up the 'enlightened life' and the path thereof of seeking good and upright character, learning how to better love. Therefore, the tragic loss of Eurydice a second time by Orpheus, when he turned around to look at her and lost her, could be seen as turning back to your old ways and forever losing yourself to a depraved and miserable lifestyle, lacking signs of true love.

In light of this, the treading on the serpent could be seen as an event in life that causes you to change your ways, and therefor seek to rescue yourself, and Eurydice's return to the upper world as carrying out that new life to fruition and sound relationships.

note: too often couples forget to love each other how they once did, and elevate each other :/