Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Ohms: pre-release hype thread

Started by LG95, Feb 23, 2018, 11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharinglungs

Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 19, 2020, 10:27 PM
Does anyone else remember an interview with Abe, and I think it was Frank too... they briefly mentioned Lovers and refer to it as "Brian Dennehy", and Abe gives a shout out to sharinglungs?

Wasn't Lovers internally called Kevin Sorbo?

Vesanic

I remember being confused too when watching it, but he definitely said Dennehy. Maybe not Brian... but I remember that.

Vesanic

Whoever changed the name of the thread again is a fucking marketing genius  ;D

Draken

I remember the Brian Dennehy thing! I thought Lovers was an awesome name.

and yes, at first S/T was not my favorite but of course that changed.

Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 19, 2020, 10:27 PM
Does anyone else remember an interview with Abe, and I think it was Frank too... they briefly mentioned Lovers and refer to it as "Brian Dennehy", and Abe gives a shout out to sharinglungs?

Inkblades

I remember they uploaded Lovers onto their Myspace as "Kevin Sorbo".

LG95

Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 19, 2020, 10:32 PM
Was beginning to think no one had noticed.
I could float here forever

Draken

Ha! I figured one of the mods did  ;D

Quote from: LG95 on Aug 19, 2020, 10:36 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 19, 2020, 10:32 PM
Was beginning to think no one had noticed.

Draken

We should rename it to "The album title of which we know but shall not speak of"... now with added dots

Vesanic

Inkblades

On S/T: it's a "trance" album to me. Songs like Battle-Axe are all about the hypnotic texture, as opposed to the structure (although I don't think the structure on any of the songs are outright bad). It's kind of an album to get lost in.

LG95

RaptureWS

I also had some reservations about self titled when it was released. After white pony I didn't know what to expect. WP was an album you could put them at a party and everyone would be like "hell yeah". Self titled, being such a dark record, was not something a lot of people wanted to listen to a lot. I don't remember exactly but it only took me a few weeks to come around to it and of course now I adore it. Also I remember thinking artwork was kind of gimmicky, or too obvious or something. Deftones were still kind of being thrown around with other Nu metal bands and the cover kind of reinforced that image as well. My opinion is completely different these days but that's how I felt at the time.

I would probably put Lovers in the third spot. The fade out at the end of Needles and Pins paired with the fade in on Lovers works pretty well.
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

Draken

ConcealingFate92

Quote from: buflen on Aug 19, 2020, 10:15 PM
Quote from: ConcealingFate92 on Aug 19, 2020, 10:11 PM
S/T is also my fav album, undisputed. Funny thing is that I used to love S/T thanks to songs like Hexagram, WGTB and Bloody Cape, but while i still fucking adore them, it's tracks like Minerva, Battle-Axe, Deathblow and, yes, Anniversary Of... that makes me come back to hear it every day. Then we have WP and ATF, that I also play it religiously almost every day. The other LP I enjoy it once in a while,
for me, Battle-Axe and Deathblow are super close to be amazing songs, but the lack of payoff on both song just ruins them for me. It seems like they are going no where. By payoff I'm thinking like the end of Change.

I know this is not a popular opinion.

Hmm, I understand your opinion, but for me the lack of "payoff" is intentional.

For example, I feel like Change is created as some sort of " finally venting it's emotions" (I'm not saying this from a lyric perspective or meaning behind it). From the slow and soothing intro / first verse to the "chaotic" chorus and then goes back to a more calmer-but-almost-losing-it-again second verse, and then you have the banging ending, it sounds like a slow build up thriller where you need something BIG to end it.

Deathblow and Battle Axe are the complete opposite for me: they're depressive as fuck, almost like it's build for a introspective destruction. For me,  the "payoff" are those "chaotic" parts(usually before the song ends) and then ending with more somber and depressive notes, meaning a more "dark" conclusion to it's meaning. The same thing happens with Mascara, for example.

But hell, I'm a depressive as fuck motherfucker, just wanted to share my thoughts about this with y'all. :D
Always the same old taste, just a new injury...

Draken

I've heard Minerva labeled as shoegaze before, can't recall where tho

Quote from: Inkblades on Aug 19, 2020, 10:41 PM
On S/T: it's a "trance" album to me. Songs like Battle-Axe are all about the hypnotic texture, as opposed to the structure (although I don't think the structure on any of the songs are outright bad). It's kind of an album to get lost in.

sensitivedeets

Inkblades

Quote from: buflen on Aug 19, 2020, 09:51 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 19, 2020, 09:43 PM
Chi had repeatedly said about the S/T that it sucked.
While promoting the album?

He says it on his segment of the S/T CD-ROM. I took it as him joking, as Chi's sense of humor in interviews and stuff was often pretty acerbic.

LG95

Vesanic