Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Ohms: pre-release hype thread

Started by LG95, Feb 24, 2018, 01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Climhazzard

Quote from: Inkblades on Feb 24, 2020, 08:08 PM
Quote from: Climhazzard on Feb 24, 2020, 07:31 PM
How did the person who wrote that article glean that the release date would be in the summer/second half of the year based on what Abe said?

I'm guessing Abe told them that and they just didn't put his exact words in quotes.

The wait continues...

Entirely possibly. If not likely. Not sure why I said that like a moron. But anyway, I'll take it when I can get it. Summer, Fall, whatever. It's going to be the first proper record in a long time. DE, KNY and Gore were decent. But they were warmups. There's been so much time since the last one. They know what they're doing and so does Terry. We're waiting this long for a good reason.

sharinglungs

Terry Date. CONFIRMED.

LG95

Actively starting to hope this is the softest Deftones record just to throw off all the boring pricks who just want them to write My Own Summer or 7 Words again.
I could float here forever

Vesanic

I highly doubt anyone wants that.

LG95

Plenty of people want it.
I could float here forever

kurtone

Quote from: LG95 on Feb 25, 2020, 12:56 AM
Actively starting to hope this is the softest Deftones record just to throw off all the boring pricks who just want them to write My Own Summer or 7 Words again.

The butthurt is going to be strong with this record, especially with Terry Date producing again.

laurapalmer

Quote from: Vesanic on Feb 25, 2020, 02:22 AM

I mean, I wouldn't hate it. I'd prefer that to an Around The Fur 2 attempt in 2020

ANattyRat

All you guys hyping up the album and its potential just because Terry is back is going to screw you all over. I mean yeah, it's great news, and certainly for the people that have severe issues with the production over the last few albums. But the band is still going to make the music they want to make, for all you know, it could be a better-sounding continuation of Gore. Getting your expectations sky-high in anything rarely leads to happiness.

I love Gore, but I would love some darker songs. Not even necessarily heavy, just darker. The first part of (L)MIRL is exactly the kind of sound that I think they excel at, if they give it the exposure it deserves.

Vesanic

Penicks

i'll be happy if the guitars don't sound like 40 year old motorboats stuck in the mud like they have in the previous 3 albums

Vesanic

Quote from: laurapalmer on Feb 25, 2020, 05:07 AM

I mean, I wouldn't hate it. I'd prefer that to an Around The Fur 2 attempt in 2020

What I meant is I highly doubt anyone wants a repeat of My Own Summer or 7 Words.

As for me, all that matters in the end is they make music they enjoy playing. I don't expect or want an old style with Terry. I just know that it will be produced to the best of its potential, unlike Gore. This band deserves that much. Heavy or soft doesn't really matter.

laurapalmer

Quote from: ANattyRat on Feb 25, 2020, 06:26 AM
All you guys hyping up the album and its potential just because Terry is back is going to screw you all over. I mean yeah, it's great news, and certainly for the people that have severe issues with the production over the last few albums. But the band is still going to make the music they want to make, for all you know, it could be a better-sounding continuation of Gore. Getting your expectations sky-high in anything rarely leads to happiness.

I love Gore, but I would love some darker songs. Not even necessarily heavy, just darker. The first part of (L)MIRL is exactly the kind of sound that I think they excel at, if they give it the exposure it deserves.

I agree with most of this. Terry doesnt have me on board as a savior as much as some but production wise there is no way it can be worse than Gore. If it's a better sounding Gore, I'm in.

Inkblades

Quote from: ANattyRat on Feb 25, 2020, 06:26 AM

I'd be more than happy with a better-produced continuation of Gore, because my issues with it are not with the songwriting. The songwriting is mostly solid and some of the best of the Sergio era IMO (it's really a shame the mix wasn't always up to par). However, I have to disagree that will happen for two reasons. One, the sound and style of the music always changes every album (somewhat off topic, but it's why I don't believe those who say Eros just sounded like Saturday Night Wrist 2 - Smile sounds NOTHING like any of SNW). Two, some of the negative fan reception, all the hoopla about Stephen not being enamored with creating it and Deftones even posting a picture of flamingos hovering around trash pretty much guarantees they will go in a different direction and likely even a wildly different direction.

As for the return of Terry, I get what you're saying. Expectations are a motherfucker and can definitely lead to disappointment. It would also be silly to expect an album that's going to magically transport us back to the late 90's or early 00's. Truth is, yes, we probably won't get an album that's as heavy-hitting as Around the Fur was or as much of a game-changer as White Pony was. I'm simply looking for an album that has exploratory songwriting and consistent production - and, yes, maybe the best album of the Sergio era. My expectations are high but not out of the stratosphere.

Also, it is Deftones releasing a new album. It's hard not to get hyped up lol. I get hyped up on every album release. This band has always been like a drug to me, so when I find out the producer of my three favorite albums is returning, it's like the dealer telling me it's the purest, most uncut cocaine he has gotten in seventeen years. That's if I were into cocaine. I'm not.

Climhazzard

"That's if I were into cocaine. I'm not."

Yeah! ....Me either! Cocaine bad  ???

Lincblade

Quote from: Vesanic on Feb 25, 2020, 11:15 AM

What I meant is I highly doubt anyone wants a repeat of My Own Summer or 7 Words.

As for me, all that matters in the end is they make music they enjoy playing. I don't expect or want an old style with Terry. I just know that it will be produced to the best of its potential, unlike Gore. This band deserves that much. Heavy or soft doesn't really matter.

I agree with this except for one point. Well kind of one point. Your point about heavy or soft doesn't really matter. To me it does. At least a little. They do both very well. And both are essential to what they do. But for me, I've gotta have some songs with teeth. Nothing crazy. Gore had just enough. Doesn't have to be a sequel to their older stuff. But I also feel as though they should do whatever represents who they are today. If that's a significantly softer record, then so be it. I'll have to accept it. I'd be a little disappointed. But I'd respect it.

Gaz

Lets' not kid ourselves, it isn't going to be White Pony Version 2 etc. But with Terry on board the sound and production HAS to be improved

Getting hyped up is all part of the expectation of a new album, don't get me wrong I'm not expecting anything ground breaking as I've said, but I'm excited to hear what they put out, it will be a typical Deftones album, heavy songs, soft songs etc. it's how they roll

laurapalmer

Quote from: Vesanic on Feb 25, 2020, 11:15 AM

100% agree

Inkblades

Beware and Rapture both debuted at Taste of Chaos 2006. Rocket Skates also debuted at a festival if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: Rocket Skates debuted when they opened for Slipknot in 2009.

Vesanic

Don't think it's gonna happen. A recent post with Stef's rig had an advance setlist, nothing new on it. Besides they never premiered material outside of North America.

Inkblades

Quote from: Vesanic on Feb 26, 2020, 02:24 PM
Don't think it's gonna happen. A recent post with Stef's rig had an advance setlist, nothing new on it. Besides they never premiered material outside of North America.

Link por favor?

And another song that debuted at a festival was Korea at Ozzfest '99.