Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Ohms: pre-release hype thread

Started by LG95, Feb 24, 2018, 01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaz

I guess if they are in the mood to play a new song they will do, like when they throw some surprises into the set

Vesanic

Quote from: RaptureWS on Feb 26, 2020, 04:43 AM
Also, I'm still holding out hope they incorporate a new song into their setlist when they start touring in March, though I'm not sure if they would do that during a festival run. Historically, have they premiered songs during festivals? Or is it usually during their own headline shows?

Adrenaline material was debuted way before its release, as those demos had been written way before they were even considered for a contract.
ATF material was debuted prior to the album release, a whole 5-6 months in fact, at headline shows. The songs were not finished though.
WP material, the intro of Pink Maggit was first played in 1998 on a headline tour. Korea was played in 1999 at Ozzfest, a touring festival as opposed to a 2-3 day festival.
S/T material was first played on a headline tour a pair of weeks before the album dropped.
SNW material was first played almost 10 months prior to the album release. on the Taste of Chaos tour. Not sure that counts as a festival.
DE material was first played in 2009, on their opening slot on the Slipknot tour, about 7 months before the album release.
KNY material (Rosemary) was first played at private show in Burbank, about 4 months before the release.
Gore material was performed about a month before the release, at a festival.

I wouldn't take this info into account for speculation. All of these occurrences were in North America, and they're touring Oceania next month. Also, given how they're taking their time with this record and how they want to make it right, they might hold off on premiering new material pre-release altogether. Here's to hoping I'm completely wrong. After all, they are starting that tour with a headline date in Auckland.

Quote from: Inkblades on Feb 26, 2020, 06:09 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Feb 26, 2020, 02:24 PM
Don't think it's gonna happen. A recent post with Stef's rig had an advance setlist, nothing new on it. Besides they never premiered material outside of North America.
Link por favor?

Here's the pic (do not look at it if you don't want to know what they're gonna play)

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

DeftonesNZ

I'm going to the Auckland show, hopefully we'll get a teaser of something new

endstand

What is a private show?
hello memory lover, you are mine

Vesanic

It was basically a small show at Warner Bros with very limited access. Almost no recordings came out of it.

Inkblades

Quote from: Vesanic on Feb 27, 2020, 07:00 AM
Quote from: RaptureWS on Feb 26, 2020, 04:43 AM
Also, I'm still holding out hope they incorporate a new song into their setlist when they start touring in March, though I'm not sure if they would do that during a festival run. Historically, have they premiered songs during festivals? Or is it usually during their own headline shows?

Adrenaline material was debuted way before its release, as those demos had been written way before they were even considered for a contract.
ATF material was debuted prior to the album release, a whole 5-6 months in fact, at headline shows. The songs were not finished though.
WP material, the intro of Pink Maggit was first played in 1998 on a headline tour. Korea was played in 1999 at Ozzfest, a touring festival as opposed to a 2-3 day festival.
S/T material was first played on a headline tour a pair of weeks before the album dropped.
SNW material was first played almost 10 months prior to the album release. on the Taste of Chaos tour. Not sure that counts as a festival.
DE material was first played in 2009, on their opening slot on the Slipknot tour, about 7 months before the album release.
KNY material (Rosemary) was first played at private show in Burbank, about 4 months before the release.
Gore material was performed about a month before the release, at a festival.

I wouldn't take this info into account for speculation. All of these occurrences were in North America, and they're touring Oceania next month. Also, given how they're taking their time with this record and how they want to make it right, they might hold off on premiering new material pre-release altogether. Here's to hoping I'm completely wrong. After all, they are starting that tour with a headline date in Auckland.

Quote from: Inkblades on Feb 26, 2020, 06:09 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Feb 26, 2020, 02:24 PM
Don't think it's gonna happen. A recent post with Stef's rig had an advance setlist, nothing new on it. Besides they never premiered material outside of North America.
Link por favor?

Here's the pic (do not look at it if you don't want to know what they're gonna play)

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

Thanks man, nice post. Pretty good setlist, although I really wish they would stop playing Diamond Eyes and make Hole in the Earth or Prayers/Triangles a set staple instead. Both are infinitely better songs.

Vesanic

New interview with Frank dropped, he said "I think it's coming out in the near future... I know it will".

He also hinted at the possibility of an WP anniversary set.

Inkblades

Hmm, it says it will drop right around the 20th anniversary of White Pony. Yeah, I thought the fall thing seemed a little off. May or June, maybe July, is my bet and I'm sticking to it.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: Vesanic on Feb 28, 2020, 06:21 PM
New interview with Frank dropped, he said "I think it's coming out in the near future... I know it will".

He also hinted at the possibility of an WP anniversary set.

White Pony in full live would be amazing.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Inkblades

It would be, plus they have to. A lot of bands with albums a lot less influential than White Pony have been doing anniversary concerts.

Inkblades

https://www.beat.com.au/chino-moreno-reflects-on-the-past-present-and-future-of-deftones/

Chino says he wants to play a new song at Download. If so, that would put a release on track for late spring/summer, I think.

He also says the new album is more "upbeat" than Gore. Take that how you will lol.

He touches on Eros a little bit too, but it's basically what he's always been saying. It's at the point where I'm getting sick of interviewers asking about it, so I can only imagine how he feels.

Gaz

Quote from: Inkblades on Mar 03, 2020, 06:35 PM
https://www.beat.com.au/chino-moreno-reflects-on-the-past-present-and-future-of-deftones/

Chino says he wants to play a new song at Download. If so, that would put a release on track for late spring/summer, I think.

He also says the new album is more "upbeat" than Gore. Take that how you will lol.

He touches on Eros a little bit too, but it's basically what he's always been saying. It's at the point where I'm getting sick of interviewers asking about it, so I can only imagine how he feels.

Sounds to me like he is bored of talking about Eros, I don't blame him to be honest, if it's unfinished and unpolished, to the band it probably doesn't seem worthy of a release

Penicks

CHONGI MARENA WHEN U PLAY EROS IN BRAZIL???????

Inkblades

Quote from: Gaz on Mar 03, 2020, 07:02 PM

\

Sounds to me like he is bored of talking about Eros, I don't blame him to be honest, if it's unfinished and unpolished, to the band it probably doesn't seem worthy of a release

Yeah, when the band is in their twilight years, maybe they'll revisit it. Until then, it's kind of a moot point.

Quote from: Penicks on Mar 03, 2020, 07:34 PM

RaptureWS

Awesome! I was really hoping they would start playing a new track! Though it says he "wants" to, not that they will. Hopefully there are no issues and they get to give it a go!
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

Gaz

Quote from: Inkblades on Mar 03, 2020, 07:47 PM
Quote from: Gaz on Mar 03, 2020, 07:02 PM

\

Yeah, when the band is in their twilight years, maybe they'll revisit it. Until then, it's kind of a moot point.

Quote from: Penicks on Mar 03, 2020, 07:34 PM

Always good to keep some mystique surrounding the band for their twilight years for sure

Vesanic

It seems a new song is on their rehearsal setlist. Abe posted a pic, and under his stuff a setlist can be seen. One of the lines covered starts with "IH".

kurtone

Quote from: Vesanic on Mar 05, 2020, 11:11 PM
It seems a new song is on their rehearsal setlist. Abe posted a pic, and under his stuff a setlist can be seen. One of the lines covered starts with "IH".

I thought that too but then I figured it could be lhabia.

LG95

It's all in capitals and the L is different on other songs so I don't think it's Lhabia. Probably a new song I'd say.
I could float here forever

Inkblades

^ Agreed.

Also, not to be an alarmist, but the coronavirus might really affect the summer European and U.S. shows. Some artists are already cancelling their tours, sporting events are being affected and even movies like the new Bond flick are having their release dates pushed back. The Australia shows seem to definitely still be on, but after that, I'm not so sure now.