Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Ohms: pre-release hype thread

Started by LG95, Feb 24, 2018, 01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vesanic

Sure enough, a new Deftones album with Terry Date and WP turning 20 complete the prophecy. Apocalypse is now.

Seriously though, quite a few major metal acts have cancelled their tour. I don't see how Deftones would be an exception, they might even cancel Australia last minute depending on how the situation evolves in the US and over there. Although the circumstances are very different, this gives me an eerie remembrance of the 2016 Euro tour...

endstand

I think You are talking about 2015 European tour. We arrived in Berlin just a few days after terror act in Paris, while where was still no info if they will cancel the tour or not. We ended up going to see Fidlar and just wondering in Berlin. Now again, with the same friend, we plan to see Deftones in Berlin this summer. I hope the tour won't be canceled.
hello memory lover, you are mine

Vesanic

Thanks for the correction, got my dates mixed up.

I was gonna be at the show in Paris the following day.
Still haunts me.

God

Quote from: Vesanic on Mar 06, 2020, 12:20 PM
Sure enough, a new Deftones album with Terry Date and WP turning 20 complete the prophecy. Apocalypse is now.

sharinglungs

They'll probably cancel shows, and this is probably why:

https://twitter.com/LauraJaneGrace/status/1235716508208312320?s=20
All the bands cancelling shows because of coronavirus are doing so because their insurance companies updated their policies to not cover cancellations due to the virus. I know because ours did the same

LG95

I could float here forever

Inkblades

And the Australia tour is now postponed. It's the right move, obviously.

The Beale Street Festival in May is still on for now, but I can definitely see that being cancelled too if this thing keeps getting worse, which it likely will.

If all their shows for the year get cancelled, I could see the album release actually being pushed up.

Lincblade

Do you people with more logic than I think the spread of COVID-19 is having an impact on when the album will release? I mean everything is essentially cancelled or postponed. It's truly unprecedented. Do you think the album will still follow it's original journey to release or no?

Gaz

Quote from: Lincblade on Mar 26, 2020, 04:09 AM
Do you people with more logic than I think the spread of COVID-19 is having an impact on when the album will release? I mean everything is essentially cancelled or postponed. It's truly unprecedented. Do you think the album will still follow it's original journey to release or no?

My guess is it will delay it as the band will not be able to travel to do any press etc. I always thought it would be out Sep/Oct, so that might still be the case

Lincblade

Quote from: Gaz on Mar 26, 2020, 03:56 PM
Quote from: Lincblade on Mar 26, 2020, 04:09 AM

My guess is it will delay it as the band will not be able to travel to do any press etc. I always thought it would be out Sep/Oct, so that might still be the case

See? That's what I'm talking about. Logic. I didn't even think of press and promotional stuff. Great point.

ANattyRat

Quote from: RaptureWS on Mar 27, 2020, 07:00 AM
Sergio has been streaming on Twitch the past couple days. I went and asked him if he could give us any idea on when we might get a single. In a very polite manner, he basically gave a non-answer. Said "art can't be rushed". He also said something along the lines of it's not that he CAN'T say anything, he just doesn't know what to say at this moment. He said "I'm not trying to be cryptic" as well. He finished with something like this (I am paraphrasing) -Even I did know something, you gotta have some secrets in a crazy time like this. With all this access to information at our fingertips, it's nice to know something that not everyone else knows.-

I feel terribly selfish but that answer kind of bums me out. I can't even begin to describe my anticipation for this new album. I was already at full on hype mode, but now with this COVID shit being so fucked up and depressing, a new Deftones track would truly inject some real happiness into my life and many others as well. Fortunately, I know that other fans feel the same way and I know they are taking their time because they want this to be an amazing album to experience. Must remain patient and respect the band and their decisions.

Hope you all are doing alright during quarantine! The wait continues...

Even if the album was done and ready to be promoted, I think the pandemic has really forced them into delaying. You can release a single and album title, release date, etc., sure. But we don't know how long this is going to last. And even when things get better, there very well might be a second wave, resulting in another pandemic. Hard to book tours and festivals promoting your brand new album with that level of uncertainty, especially since touring is such a good source of income over simply album sales.

I mean it definitely sucks, we could all do with some new Deftones music to get excited about. But I understand him not saying anything.

God

Quote from: RaptureWS on Mar 27, 2020, 07:00 AM
and I know they are taking their time because they want this to be an amazing album to experience.

Vesanic

Frank said April, so there's that...

sharinglungs

It aint coming out before June at this point. We might get a single in April/May.

Vesanic

Yeah, just don't. It's pretty cool he's doing these livestreams. I wish he'd talk more Deftones as well, I don't blame him though. I think he's very much aware of how lucky he was to end up in the band, he's never going to take a risk by spilling any beans about a band he wasn't in at first. It's pretty respectful and also very professional.

That said, he's going to be playing bass on tonight's stream. Might be a good time to bring up a couple related topics.

Gaz

Maybe he doesn't want any shit from the rest of the band for speaking about the album without them around him? I like he is keeping things close to his chest on it all, keeps the mystique, which doesn't apply to most things these days

endstand

I remember all the hype before SNW. In pre-album interviews Chino talked about aggresive album, and when it finally came out, I felt like I was fooled ;)
hello memory lover, you are mine

LG95

Two more hours.
I could float here forever

Vesanic

Someone posted this on reddit.

Vesanic

I signed up on muspy and there's nothing more than that. There's been an ongoing rumour the new album would be Eros after they debuted Smile at Dia de los Deftones. That and Terry being on board must have fed the rumour. I believe someone who bought the rumour put that up on muspy. I'm not buying it. But who knows?

Keep in mind though...

After Koi No Yokan's follow-up album Gore was released in 2016, Moreno seemed less interested in finishing Eros citing the unfinished album's poor quality. He said he "wasn't too happy with the material we had" and that "some of the music was lacking a little bit".[23] Moreno elaborated:

"   I had faith it was going to come together and be great in the end, but we never got to that point. Once Chi had his accident, everything came to a halt with the Eros sessions, so the idea of going back to that batch of songs, finishing them and have Sergio learn Chi's parts just hasn't felt like something that we're interested in doing. If the record were finished and we were just sitting on it, we probably would have put it out by now, maybe even given it away, just so that people can hear it, but it would take a lot more work to get it done. But when we get together, we're much more fascinated with where we are in this moment, trying to create something new.

(from Wikipedia)