Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Ohms: pre-release hype thread

Started by LG95, Feb 24, 2018, 01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharinglungs

Quote from: Thanatos on Jul 11, 2020, 03:03 PM
Quote from: Sunbath on Jul 11, 2020, 11:18 AM
Well a lot has changed in the world and the music business since 2016. No point in referencing to earlier release schedules. I think especially now with covid19 it's totally possible we see quick moves.

Also that instagram post was not a promise. To me at least.  It's a picture of a studio / rehearsal space and can be interpreted to mean that they're working on new music in 2019. Which they did.
The label may see no point in releasing an album they can't tour on. I don't think it's very profitable to do it that way for a rock band is it? I really don't know.

I can say it a million times... they're not waiting til May/June 2021 to release an album that's complete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2020_albums#Second_quarter

There's a list of Albums released during the shutdown and continuing to now.... none of those artists can tour their albums, but they're still releasing them.

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Thanks for sharing the name of it, I was itching to know what I missed from that interview that got edited.

Thanatos

Announcement this week or it's getting pushed. Calling it now my brothers. Maybe not far. October or November. But they gotta say something

Hidalgo

i'm just gonna assume it's ccoming out in Nov. they're usually a month or 2 off on their release date predictions, so Nov for me is a safe bet. anything sooner is just a bonus. still only 4 months away. not bad

Vesanic

Remember Stef had announced April 8 for Gore, in January. And it did come out on April 8.

Roidragee

I have confidence it'll be out by September since both Abe and Chino said its likely coming out in September.  I'm sure we will get some announcement at the end of July

elite54

I still don't understand why they are delaying it at all. Would any less people go to their shows if they didn't wait wait until they can tour this particular record? They already sell out almost all of their shows as it is.

elite54

Quote from: Thanatos on Jul 09, 2020, 11:21 PM
Honestly this waiting shit is old. It is JULY! Album supposed to out in September? My ass. They would need to start promoting it today basically. Anyone else sick of this? Suspense to build hype is one thing. But this is straight up obnoxious

I agree with this. Incoming the band doesn't owe us shit comments.

Sunbath

Quote from: Thanatos on Jul 11, 2020, 03:03 PM
Quote from: Sunbath on Jul 11, 2020, 11:18 AM
Well a lot has changed in the world and the music business since 2016. No point in referencing to earlier release schedules. I think especially now with covid19 it's totally possible we see quick moves.

Also that instagram post was not a promise. To me at least.  It's a picture of a studio / rehearsal space and can be interpreted to mean that they're working on new music in 2019. Which they did.

While I agree with most of this. To act like they haven't been overly optimistic about releases dates is revisionists history,  I think. They routinely predict albums will be finished and will  come out way sooner than they ever do. As far as COVID speeding up things? It's possible. Maybe even likely. But it can also be the exact opposite. The label may see no point in releasing an album they can't tour on. I don't think it's very profitable to do it that way for a rock band is it? I really don't know.

Fair enough, they have not indeed always met the deadlines  ;D

But the thing is that nowdays it's actually the other way around. The album is your "promotion" for getting the shows booked. That's where the money is now anyways. I personally think they're very close, if not already there, to the point where they don't even need to release new albums to get their shows booked. Ofcourse they keep making new music because that's their thing, lucky us.

Sunbath

Quote from: elite54 on Jul 13, 2020, 07:58 AM
I still don't understand why they are delaying it at all. Would any less people go to their shows if they didn't wait wait until they can tour this particular record? They already sell out almost all of their shows as it is.

If you want the vinyl in stores on the same date as digital it takes time. Pressing plants are the bottleneck of this shit because there are not many of those around anymore. 6-8 weeks is quite normal delivery time. Add shipping to the strores and you got 2 months minimum easily from the point of a finished master (assuming the cover art is finished too). Then there's press promotion to get the date out there. Fans will find the info regardless, it's the potential new fans they want to reach..

sharinglungs

I have hope that we'll get some info this week... The guys seems to be a little more active the last couple of days on social media/steaming. They've been pretty quiet for a while, so I'm hoping this means something.

LG95

Two more fucking hours
I could float here forever

Thanatos

Im just being a little bitch. I fully acknowledge that. But it's now the 16th. Tomorrow is the 17th with likely no news. Monday is the 20th already. So promotion should get rolling. We're all sitting around waiting for this shit. We don't need a tour to get hyped up. Drop this shit. Do a surprise album like rappers do. I don't care. Just do something label!

Inkblades

A surprise album drop would be awesome. If a much smaller band like Hum can do it, then so can Deftones. No way in hell it will happen though lol.

Roidragee

my guess is July 31st they will announce the new album for a October 9th album release date. no way its delayed until November.... right?

N0S3BLEED976

A lot of albums are being announced one month prior to release at the moment. We might not get an announcement and single until mid to late August

Vesanic

I am staying on the fence about the 2021 your. Not only is the economy going to take a major hit because lots of people won't to take the risk to attend shows, we don't even know the virus will be killed off by then. You might want to read about what the Lollapalooza co-founder had to say about shows not coming back before 2022 (with which I've agreed all along tbh)

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/07/marc-geiger-concerts-2022/

B_S_79

Quote from: Vesanic on Jul 17, 2020, 10:33 AM
I am staying on the fence about the 2021 your. Not only is the economy going to take a major hit because lots of people won't to take the risk to attend shows, we don't even know the virus will be killed off by then. You might want to read about what the Lollapalooza co-founder had to say about shows not coming back before 2022 (with which I've agreed all along tbh)

Agree 100%. I'm fine with it. However long it takes for people to be safe at a show. What sucks is that some shows aren't issuing refunds. People may need that money right now. I sold Pearl Jam tickets right before all this happened but the show was cancelled, so StubHub has all of my money until the show happens.

I would still like Deftones to release the album - it would give us all time to digest, and it would give them time to rehearse those songs and maybe play them. Lol.

Hidalgo

Quote from: Vesanic on Jul 17, 2020, 10:33 AM

i'm not real optimistic about the 2021 tour either. i think everything should go back to normal legally, and whoever wants to hide and wear a mask for the rest of their lives are free to do that. but that's not gonna happen, so everything is canceled. i don't think this tour will happen once the date gets close

also does anyone know if Stephen is using a 9 string? or was it just rumor?

Inkblades

Two more hou...weeks?