Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Black Stallion (White Pony remix album)

Started by Vesanic, Jun 17, 2020, 11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

Change remix video tonight. It will have some unseen footage from the original video.

mrpelon94

oh maaan heard it, I loved all the remixes, its awesome to hear the songs in a different light, ...street carp by Phantogram is a banger👍🏽

Draken

Quote from: mrpelon94 on Dec 11, 2020, 01:59 AM
oh maaan heard it, I loved all the remixes, its awesome to hear the songs in a different light, ...street carp by Phantogram is a banger👍🏽

I'm looking forward to the Phantogram remix, street carp is an underrated deftones song.

Drop-Dead

Frank should've remixed all songs and call it a day  ;D

Martin

Quote from: Vesanic on Dec 10, 2020, 03:05 PM
Quote from: Martin on Dec 10, 2020, 11:15 AM
I caved, and went for the special edition bundle. Now to wait until somewhere next year for it to arrive, something cool to look forward to.

Tell me about it. I got the Revolver one.

Ow man, thought about that too. It's a huge one. And probably completely and utterly worth every cent.

*woops...I spend so little time on this board these days, I accidentally edited your message instead of quoting it first time around haha :o

SMLiberator

i'm confused??

SMLiberator

I absolutely loved the Knife Prty remix, one of the reasons being the fact it sounds like an actual, original song and I'd totally believe it wasn't a remix if I didn't know the original beforehand. I suppose the same could be said about Teenager, but this one doesn't really sounds as interesting as the former.

Now hearing the whole thing I see those certainly raised my expectations a little too high with the fact I was expecting them all to sound like, you know, actual songs. And I don't mean original songs either.

Feiticeira sounds like an intro. Not an intro song, like the famous one by The XX, but just a music-less intro. Speaking of The XX's Intro, I believe Change is certainly the one that deserves that comparison - it's either Intro or that one song that plays before YouTube video launches. Elite was..... Nintendo-ish, and with all due respect to my favorite band, are you sure that was a Korea remix, and not just a random beat idea that got sent by mistake?

Most of the others either sounded like those glitch hop interludes in the Team Sleep record at best (see Rx Queen), or just super forgettably meh at worst. Speaking of glitch hop, let's talk about Pink Maggit, as it was basically that but without the "hop", just glitch. Then it became just the normal song before turning into a Diamond Eyes/Koi No Yokan era breakdown, and that was, surprisingly, one of the most interesting moments on the record.

I'd probably need to listen to it again before giving this an actual rating, but honestly I don't think I will.
i'm confused??

Vesanic

I really like Change. It's even better with the video, it's like a look back on something you know well with a different perspective.

LG95

Initial track by track thoughts.

I kinda like the way Feiticeira is completely gutted out and acts like an intro track to the album.

Digital Bath I think is a bit weak. Chino's vocal performance is so fucking good and it's so intimate in the mix that I don't hate it, but the rest of it doesn't really create any emotion for me.

Elite is very Blanck Mass. If I didn't know who was doing that mix I'd have been able to guess within four seconds. I get why people might hate it.

RX Queen is super trippy and ominous and complements the original really well, I think.

Street Carp is my favourite reimagining on here. Changes the primary emotion of the song - I'd never have imagined it could sound romantic - and nails it.

Teenager is obviously the least drastic but the piano feels like it belongs on there to the extent that I think I prefer it to the original.

Knife Party's fine. I don't have much to say about it.

I really dig the vibe of Korea and I like that it utilises the vocals as an instrument. It's pushing the boundary of what can really be considered a remix though. More like a vague tribute to the vibe of WP.

Passenger - I don't mind it up until the chorus which ruins it for me; it occupies too much of the same space of Maynard's vocals and so loses the power.

Change - Really neat job. Pretty and ethereal.

Pink Maggit - Hated it on first listen. Did a 180 on second listen. So trippy and off kilter and somehow it's clicking with me. Makes good use of Abe. And I like that it brings in the original intro at the end, more or less untouched.

RX Queen-Street Carp-Teenager is the high point on it for me right now. Feiticeira and Korea are complete guttings that I still dig, and I like Change and Pink Maggit. I'm pleased I enjoy that much from it. It's getting a lot of hate already but I much prefer this to a bunch of bands doing covers.
I could float here forever

Bergerac

A mixed bag. Squarepusher was the one I anticipated, and I knew it'd be the best.

Somehow they've managed to make Feiticieria, Digital Bath and Korea, my favourite 3 tracks, dull as fuck.

Feiticeira - Vanished. The fuck is this?

Digital Bath - I never rated Shadow and I don't rate the Hello fellow kids beats here. How the fuck do you not emphasise Abe out of all instruments when you get given DB? Should have been Squarepusher.

Elite - Musically interesting at least but the vox mix ruins it.

RX Queen - It's nice that they went breakcore but it's a bit too fucking arrhythmical considering it still generally tries to follow the song's framework otherwise. This could have been handled better.

Street Carp - Has become one of the better tracks on White Pony for the only time ever.

Teenager - Nice, but the least transformed.

Knife Prty - Some more young kids shit.

Korea - Just dull. Which is such an achievement for Korea, in a way.

Passenger - It's actually alright until the LP guitars in the chorus.

Change - Kind of nice, but simplistic.

Pink Maggit - What a surprise, the best guest musician and most technical, understands the task at hand better than anyone else and makes a track that sounds unmistakenly like the original and yet a new track at the same time. Reprograms Abe's drumming with nuance instead of slapping in a load of sounds that don't belong. Ends the record with respect for the original with a mostly unedited sequence. Actually emphasised the metal from a metal record, instead of adding fucking trap hats behind everything and making it sound like shade montages from Ru Paul's Drag Race.

Gaz

Mixed feelings about this to be honest, some ok tracks, some really passable

Hidalgo

Quote from: SMLiberator on Dec 11, 2020, 03:23 PM
I absolutely loved the Knife Prty remix, one of the reasons being the fact it sounds like an actual, original song and I'd totally believe it wasn't a remix if I didn't know the original beforehand. I suppose the same could be said about Teenager, but this one doesn't really sounds as interesting as the former.

Now hearing the whole thing I see those certainly raised my expectations a little too high with the fact I was expecting them all to sound like, you know, actual songs. And I don't mean original songs either.

Feiticeira sounds like an intro. Not an intro song, like the famous one by The XX, but just a music-less intro. Speaking of The XX's Intro, I believe Change is certainly the one that deserves that comparison - it's either Intro or that one song that plays before YouTube video launches. Elite was..... Nintendo-ish, and with all due respect to my favorite band, are you sure that was a Korea remix, and not just a random beat idea that got sent by mistake?

Most of the others either sounded like those glitch hop interludes in the Team Sleep record at best (see Rx Queen), or just super forgettably meh at worst. Speaking of glitch hop, let's talk about Pink Maggit, as it was basically that but without the "hop", just glitch. Then it became just the normal song before turning into a Diamond Eyes/Koi No Yokan era breakdown, and that was, surprisingly, one of the most interesting moments on the record.

I'd probably need to listen to it again before giving this an actual rating, but honestly I don't think I will.
yea, the whole thing is pretty meh. but i wasn't excited for it anyway, when it leaked, i downloaded it, listened to track 1 and easily went to sleep(had it been ohms i'd have been too excited to hear it all to sleep, or i'd have struggled to sleep at least), then listened to a few more songs before work, more mehhh, then after i got home listened to the rest. it's ok, but that's about it, just a simple remix album, but the problem i have is almost no guitars. and a lot of dup step glitchy sounds. i dunno, i'll buy it someday, but not really even thinking about it much. cool that they finally did make black stallion after 20 years though. i'm wondering if it'll hit the top 50 billboard charts, probably not, cause a diehard like myself isn't even buying it week/month 1

kurtone

Had low, if you even want to call them low,  expectations for this and I'm glad I did. Listened to it once last night and probably won't again. I LOL'd at elite, sounds like video game boss fight music from metal gear rising.

I can't imagine the reactions had they released this and pushed ohms back to next year.

Inkblades

Man, what happened to DJ Shadow? Endtroducing... is to this day one of the best albums I've ever heard but this Digital Bath remix is not hitting for me. The fall off has been hard.

nicklav

E-Money

Quote from: Drop-Dead on Dec 11, 2020, 10:55 AM
Frank should've remixed all songs and call it a day  ;D

Frank , Shinoda , and Crook ... could have been dope. What a let down.

E-Money

Quote from: Inkblades on Dec 11, 2020, 08:36 PM
Man, what happened to DJ Shadow? Endtroducing... is to this day one of the best albums I've ever heard but this Digital Bath remix is not hitting for me. The fall off has been hard.

It absolutely breaks my heart man. Introducing he's up there with white pony for me. Everything he has done over the last 20 years has just been a major let down.

Drop-Dead

Quote from: Vesanic on Dec 11, 2020, 03:39 PM
I really like Change. It's even better with the video, it's like a look back on something you know well with a different perspective.

the only thing good about the stallion is that the remix video for change is actually better than the album version video

from_musings

aj

You wait 20 years for something and then this shows up...it had so much potential but let down by overinterpretation of the songs.

I agree with all that's been said above.

The one major highlight that's had me smiling is the video for change and that remix which did feel like re-experiencing something magical