Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Black Stallion (White Pony remix album)

Started by Vesanic, Jun 17, 2020, 11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hidalgo

Quote from: aj on Dec 11, 2020, 09:42 PM
You wait 20 years for something and then this shows up...it had so much potential but let down by overinterpretation of the songs.

I agree with all that's been said above.

The one major highlight that's had me smiling is the video for change and that remix which did feel like re-experiencing something magical
yea that video is great, all the unseen footage from back then, easily the best thing to come of this.
Quote from: from_musings on Dec 11, 2020, 09:26 PM
Hot garbage
pretty much, lol

Playhouse

Quote from: Inkblades on Dec 11, 2020, 08:36 PM
Man, what happened to DJ Shadow? Endtroducing... is to this day one of the best albums I've ever heard but this Digital Bath remix is not hitting for me. The fall off has been hard.

Totally agree
You're a star, You blaze

Draken

Quote from: Drop-Dead on Dec 11, 2020, 10:55 AM
Frank should've remixed all songs and call it a day  ;D

I would dig that

I'd love to hear more remixes from the likes of Trent Reznor, Oneohtrix Point Never, or Aphex Twin. It would even be cool if they gave fans the stems so people could upload their own remixes. I think NIN did that.

Vesanic

Quote from: Drop-Dead on Dec 11, 2020, 09:16 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Dec 11, 2020, 03:39 PM
I really like Change. It's even better with the video, it's like a look back on something you know well with a different perspective.

the only thing good about the stallion is that the remix video for change is actually better than the album version video

If by better you mean it works better for the song it accompanies, I agree. It's a great fit, much like Digital Bath imo.

lungdamage

OR maybe they could rack up 'rainbow shetland clydesdale' and just get dj premier to remix the album east coast hiphop style. Get rappers from that era on some tracks some NaS, Tech you name it :) a few guru samples for good measure ;)

I do like your idea regarding frank but i think he's too close to the material after all these years.

laurapalmer

The feiticeira take is fantastic. Wtf

mono

Any photos of the black stallion digipack interior?

Hidalgo

Quote from: lungdamage on Dec 12, 2020, 09:09 AM

OR maybe they could rack up 'rainbow shetland clydesdale' and just get dj premier to remix the album east coast hiphop style. Get rappers from that era on some tracks some NaS, Tech you name it :) a few guru samples for good measure ;)

I do like your idea regarding frank but i think he's too close to the material after all these years.
Charlie Clouser type remixes is what i'd far prefer over rappers who have no idea who deftones are and would never listen to them

Draken

Quote from: Drop-Dead on Dec 11, 2020, 09:16 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Dec 11, 2020, 03:39 PM
I really like Change. It's even better with the video, it's like a look back on something you know well with a different perspective.

the only thing good about the stallion is that the remix video for change is actually better than the album version video

The remix video is so much better.

I think that one, Squarepusher, and Phantograms remix are my favorites. I can't stop listening to Phantograms. I just like how the vocal melodies were re-arranged and how it fits so well. Also, I don't mind the female vocals, I didn't like it as much on Knife Prty's remix.

LG95

The Pink Maggit remix is excellent. Grown on me a lot. He really utilised the original in such a trippy, cool way and I love the restructuring.
I could float here forever

mono

Quote from: LG95 on Dec 12, 2020, 10:59 PM
The Pink Maggit remix is excellent. Grown on me a lot. He really utilised the original in such a trippy, cool way and I love the restructuring.

Also, they've used all instruments in the remix, not only chino's voice like the most part of black stallion. The breakdown "new" part is interesting

LG95

Quote from: mono on Dec 12, 2020, 11:03 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Dec 12, 2020, 10:59 PM

Also, they've used all instruments in the remix, not only chino's voice like the most part of black stallion. The breakdown "new" part is interesting
Yeah that's what I'm saying with SP utilising the original - Abe is used nicely, there's that looped guitar riff part which sounds really cool too. Dude nailed it.
I could float here forever

Sal_Ameigh

Quote from: Draken on Dec 12, 2020, 01:16 AM
OR maybe they could rack up 'rainbow shetland clydesdale' and just get dj premier to remix the album east coast hiphop style. Get rappers from that era on some tracks some NaS, Tech you name it :) a few guru samples for good measure

Deftones should've got Rhys Fulber to do all of the remixing and called it a day. Deftones should get Rhys to produce/mix/master/engineer their next album. I think Rhys would really push Deftones to bring out more of the electronic side of the band via Frank. 

Or maybe Deftones could have bought a time machine to San Francisco 1991 and got the Wicked DJ crew of Jenö, Thomas, Markie, and Garth to make White Pony into a Rave album and called it "Ultraviolet Unicorn"  or "Infrared Pegasus" :D

Drop-Dead

Hands down for Shinoda and the Passenger remix!   8)

Vesanic

endstand

Deftones Change Remix video - what is the board game shown at 04:13?
hello memory lover, you are mine

Penicks

B_S_79

I would dig that

I'd love to hear more remixes from the likes of Trent Reznor, Oneohtrix Point Never, or Aphex Twin. It would even be cool if they gave fans the stems so people could upload their own remixes. I think NIN did that.

Radiohead did that with their song Nude. All the tracks were downloadable separately so people could remix however they wanted. It was pretty cool.

mandalay

Quote from: B_S_79 on Dec 19, 2020, 09:43 PM

I would dig that

Radiohead did that with their song Nude. All the tracks were downloadable separately so people could remix however they wanted. It was pretty cool.
As did, TEAM SLEEP with Ever like 15 years ago lol

aj

Anyone who knows about video editing: how did they get the change remix video to such high quality / definition? Seems like it could have been made yesterday.