Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicklav

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 23, 2020, 08:16 PM
So abe teased Urantia. With frank. Right?

Yes. That riff stayed with me for months and I instantly recognized it.

Visionz

Quote from: stu_101 on Sep 23, 2020, 08:14 PM
Quote from: Visionz on Sep 23, 2020, 07:40 PM
Chino may b telling us this is it.

I certainly get that sense from this record. The lyrics in TLID. Going full circle with hardly any Chino guitar parts. If that is indeed the case, they'll defo be going out on a high.

Ill have to read the lyrics to radiant but it may b a way to confuse us?

secretbandinsider

Album is really good, like an 8/10 for me, but I feel slightly underwhelmed mostly because I don't feel like Steph does anything too interesting on this. I think I'm starting to realize I prefer Chino as a songwriter to Steph.

TSOM is absolute god-tier though.

Vesanic

Inkblades

I wish The Spell of Mathematics carried a little bit more of the segue at the end of Error into its intro. It kinda just jumps into the heavy part and it feels abrupt. I want more of a buildup there. Otherwise, it's an awesome song.

Sleeping_Giant

Pompeji could have been my top tier Deftones song. But this strange chorus... Is it just me ?

976-EVIL

So very anxious and excited as my wait will continue. Hearing everyone's feedback thus far sustains me! Gotta temper my expectations...
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

secretbandinsider

Quote from: Sleeping_Giant on Sep 23, 2020, 08:29 PM
Pompeji could have been my top tier Deftones song. But this strange chorus... Is it just me ?
No it's not you, Pompeji chorus is not good. And I agree that TSOM starts too abruptly, I could have definitely gone for a longer intro.

ghostofemilydickinson

Just wrapped my 3rd listen. Some thoughts...

Want to know the talents of a God-tier band? Ohms (the track) sounds like a totally different song when it wraps the rest of the songs rather than heard as a stand-alone. I don't know how to explain it, but it just does.

The chorus to Radiant City is magic.

Urantia is likely my favorite now. Good grief, it has every single thing I like about Deftones. Instant classic.

Every Deftones album has, for me, at least one skippable song (sorry, don't shoot me...) This one does not. I love every song.

This one is something special, y'all. If they ARE calling it quits after this it's the perfect way to do it.

secretbandinsider

Why are people speculating that they are breaking up? Did I miss something or are y'all just reading into the lyrics.

Inkblades

I love Pompeji's chorus. It's almost like some post-punk shit. Punky as fuck lol.

Vesanic

People need to take a serious chill pill. Every single Deftones fan in communities is getting a fucking link as we speak. Most people aren't even taking the time to absorb the music, making "worst to best song" posts, polls and shit. I know there's covid but this is overblown. Just sit down and chill out ffs.

Draken

^lol^

They are NOT breaking up after this, you all are reading too much into the lyrics. There's a usually a song that makes me think Chino is talking directly to us, for example the lyrics in Prince:
"My gift to the world outside.
It's OK, I'm all right
Now open your empty hands
'cause here comes the fun here comes the end."

Inkblades

Abe said in that Kerrang article from a month ago that he wants to get back into the studio ASAP. They aren't going anywhere.

976-EVIL

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 23, 2020, 08:43 PM
People need to take a serious chill pill. Every single Deftones fan in communities is getting a fucking link as we speak. Most people aren't even taking the time to absorb the music, making "worst to best song" posts, polls and shit. I know there's covid but this is overblown. Just sit down and chill out ffs.

LMAO, it's the nature of things. I remember the Diamond Eyes "Best song elimination Poll" years  back was posted only a few days after its release.
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

from_musings

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 23, 2020, 07:40 PM
Chino may b telling us this is it.

Quote from: ghostofemilydickinson on Sep 23, 2020, 08:39 PM
If they ARE calling it quits after this it's the perfect way to do it.

Quote from: secretbandinsider on Sep 23, 2020, 08:40 PM
Why are people speculating that they are breaking up?

See you all at the reunion tour

Inkblades

Keep in mind that everything I'm saying is just initial impressions. I might be saying totally different shit in a week.

I remember hating the chorus on Leathers the first time I heard it. It's my favorite song on Koi now.

Vesanic

I remember being completely in love with DE when it came out. That didn't last very long.

Penicks

yeah i remember you saying you got chills when you heard the 'calculate' line in the 30 second amazon snippet of diamond eyes lmao

boom ten years later

Draken

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 23, 2020, 08:53 PM
I remember being completely in love with DE when it came out. That didn't last very long.

I remember hearing Royal for the first time and being blown away... yeah that didn't last long for me. Still like the song but not as much as the others on DE.