Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandalay

Quote from: Inkblades on Aug 20, 2020, 07:56 PM
Quote from: mandalay on Aug 20, 2020, 07:48 PM
Time for Deftones to put more energy into rehashing their past (via reissues, behind the scenes content, documentary footage, etc.) and less energy into a craft that they are no longer masters of.

You're entitled to your opinion about the song, but something tells me you're going to be eating these particular words when you hear the full album. Trust me - you ain't heard NOTHING yet.
I hope you're right.

Vesanic

Holy shit that was awful.  Riff is straight up CKY/Weezer but far less interesting/memorable.  Vocals are straight out of Crosses, both melody and lyrics - very typical Chino.  Artwork is tired and unimpressive.  Song titles came out of a Deftones-song-title-generator.  Time for Deftones to put more energy into rehashing their past (via reissues, behind the scenes content, documentary footage, etc.) and less energy into a craft that they are no longer masters of.

You need to go easy on reviews from theneedledrop  ;D

Vesanic

Inkblades

sharinglungs

Vesanic

Quote from: Matthewtheloser on Aug 20, 2020, 06:59 PM
Pink Maggit forever will reign supreme as best album closer, but can we get some love for Rivière?

Always  8) Such an underrated emotional cut

LG95

Pink Maggit reigns supreme but Damone destroys.
I could float here forever

nineteen

I'm hoping I don't immediately love it to death.

I love albums much more in the long run if it takes a while to dig in. I've only listened to the snippet but it seemed KNY to me from those 30 seconds ha.

Vesanic

"TonesTony SuckTano here

Putting a strong lol on this thing"

Inkblades

ANattyRat

Finally listened to the song. At first I didn't like it, but about halfway into it I realised that was because it was completely different from what I expected. It's awesome, and to be honest it really does sound like Stef is maybe coming out of his safe/comfort zone, which isn't a bad thing, and just goes to show how much more invested he is this time around compared to Gore. It kind of reminds me of Rubicon, the closer of the album ending almost on a (sonically) high note? Either way, I'm excited!

Holy shit that was awful.  Riff is straight up CKY/Weezer but far less interesting/memorable.  Vocals are straight out of Crosses, both melody and lyrics - very typical Chino.  Artwork is tired and unimpressive.  Song titles came out of a Deftones-song-title-generator.  Time for Deftones to put more energy into rehashing their past (via reissues, behind the scenes content, documentary footage, etc.) and less energy into a craft that they are no longer masters of.

People like you who think that because they don't like something, a band should stop making music, are weird lol. They love making music, who cares if you don't like it? They'd still want to make music even if it made no money.

Inkblades

Quote from: ANattyRat on Aug 20, 2020, 08:26 PM
Finally listened to the song. At first I didn't like it, but about halfway into it I realised that was because it was completely different from what I expected. It's awesome, and to be honest it really does sound like Stef is maybe coming out of his safe/comfort zone, which isn't a bad thing, and just goes to show how much more invested he is this time around compared to Gore. It kind of reminds me of Rubicon, the closer of the album ending almost on a (sonically) high note? Either way, I'm excited!

People like you who think that because they don't like something, a band should stop making music, are weird lol. They love making music, who cares if you don't like it? They'd still want to make music even if it made no money.

Yeah, that is always a weird take. "I don't like the new song. EnD DeFtOnEs nOw!"

LG95

Fantano's an easy target but his rock and metal review are so often way off point, I can't really take him seriously with those bands. It surprises me he actually appreciates a great band like Code Orange because I find he's rarely on point with most other heavy stuff.
I could float here forever

buflen

Quote from: LG95 on Aug 20, 2020, 08:28 PM
Fantano's an easy target but his rock and metal review are so often way off point, I can't really take him seriously with those bands. It surprises me he actually appreciates a great band like Code Orange because I find he's rarely on point with most other heavy stuff.
Having a different opinion doesn't mean he's wrong. TBH I wasn't completely disagreeing with everything he said on his Gore review.

nineteen

Inkblades

Quote from: LG95 on Aug 20, 2020, 08:28 PM

It's clear he's an intelligent guy but I just rarely agree with any of his reviews. I feel the same way about the late Roger Ebert - a smart, thoughtful critic, but good lord did he pan a lot of great movies and praise a lot of crap. Y'all know this is just my opinion, right?

Inkblades

Is it called Error or Errorr?

thatdeftkid

How cool would it be for Chino to start singing his old screaming parts in the same style as he does on Ohms?

buflen

Quote from: thatdeftkid on Aug 20, 2020, 08:36 PM
How cool would it be for Chino to start singing his old screaming parts in the same style as he does on Ohms?
so where is that nature cover art?

honeybeewu

Quote from: FatherUppercut on Aug 20, 2020, 06:56 PM
hah, i just realized, I should be seeing Deftones tonight in Jersey. I guess a new single is an ok 2nd place trophy  :-\
I hear you. I had meet & greet for last night in NYC. BEYOND BUMMED - But hearing this track today was a good comeback.
I'm totally getting a PALMS vibe from this one!