Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penicks

imagine being a music reviewer for a living jesus christ

LG95

Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 20, 2020, 09:11 PM
I find myself disagreeing with Fantano very often. I can't believe his review on HUM's latest.
The one where he criticised that faultless guitar tone? Yeah lol.

Quote from: Matthewtheloser on Aug 20, 2020, 09:06 PM
He's a fan of plenty of heavy bands. He rates/has rated bands like Converge, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Napalm Death, Daughters, and Nails pretty highly and consistently highly.
He definitely likes the frenetic, more spastic stuff.
I could float here forever

Inkblades

Quote from: ozzcar on Aug 20, 2020, 09:12 PM
Looking at the album art, the art of the deftones / gojira tour doesn't come to mind, this other image of Chi Cheng comes to mind

:o

WOW...I think you're onto something there. Can't believe I didn't put it together.

Matthewtheloser

You guys keep speculating about what the cover art reminds you of, but the true answer is right there in plain sight

Capt Snow

Quote from: LG95 on Aug 20, 2020, 08:28 PM
Fantano's an easy target but his rock and metal review are so often way off point, I can't really take him seriously with those bands. It surprises me he actually appreciates a great band like Code Orange because I find he's rarely on point with most other heavy stuff.

Meanwhile Fantano gives the highest praise to shitty/mediocre rappers.

thespellofmathematics

any interest in a tab for ohms? i'm playing some parts of it pretty decently in drop b tuning

buflen

Quote from: Capt Snow on Aug 20, 2020, 09:28 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Aug 20, 2020, 08:28 PM
Fantano's an easy target but his rock and metal review are so often way off point, I can't really take him seriously with those bands. It surprises me he actually appreciates a great band like Code Orange because I find he's rarely on point with most other heavy stuff.

Meanwhile Fantano gives the highest praise to shitty/mediocre rappers.
I'm sure you'd make a great music reviewer with this way of thinking. Fantano praises bands/artist from all genre. You don't have to necessary agree with him, but his rap taste are pretty decent.

mrpelon94

yessir,  the song slaps,  so much feels,  DEFTONESPORVIDA

mono

Quote from: ozzcar on Aug 20, 2020, 09:12 PM
Looking at the album art, the art of the deftones / gojira tour doesn't come to mind, this other image of Chi Cheng comes to mind

:o

Oh shit... :o

DEF_RICHIE

"As we slip on throoooooough we promise toooo meet again SOMEWHERE"

That line hits me in the feels everytime...HYPED can't wait for Deftones to bless our ears with more

buflen

The cover art can be any guy/girl (don't kid yourself, its a a girl, don't forget its a deftones cover art) with make up, crying. Its not because Chi put make up once for a photo shoot that it means its him.

Inkblades

Probably wishful thinking here, but doesn't it sound like the song ends/fades out kind of abruptly? Maybe there's something after it on the album version?

Apple says it's 4:10 lol, so yeeeah, wishful thinking.

buflen

Quote from: Inkblades on Aug 20, 2020, 10:02 PM
Probably wishful thinking here, but doesn't it sound like the song ends/fades out kind of abruptly? Maybe there's something after it on the album version?

Apple says it's 4:10 lol, so yeeeah, wishful thinking.
yeah wishful thinking. I wouldn't have mind that last riff to be repeated for another minute.

Inkblades

Quote from: buflen on Aug 20, 2020, 10:00 PM
The cover art can be any guy/girl (don't kid yourself, its a a girl, don't forget its a deftones cover art) with make up, crying. Its not because Chi put make up once for a photo shoot that it means its him.

You could be right, but I do like the metaphor behind it: Chi lives on in their music.

E-Money

This absolutely soars .  I live on the West Coast and just got to listen to it. It's groovy as hell. This is the instrumental Deftones I have been craving.  Glad the boys are back. 😎🍾🙌🏻💯👌

Drop-Dead

nineteen

I wasn't expecting this kinda track at all but I'm glad about that.

Still getting the KNY vibes mostly. Reckon it'll round off the album well. 

Inkblades

Quote from: Drop-Dead on Aug 20, 2020, 10:12 PM
New press photo

Really cool pic. Looks like long hair Chino is starting to make a return.

ChubbyChino

Quote from: Inkblades on Aug 20, 2020, 09:15 PM
My only criticism with Ohms is it feels like it needs one more passage to make it feel a bit more epic and push it over the top. It would have been cool if it had a second bridge where the guitars dropped out for a moment so the synths and drums could get some time to shine (yeah, a breakdown lol). Overall, it's a solid song, but I do still kind of feel that it's "minor" Deftones.

Agreed, the only bad thing about this song is that it's way too short. It sounds like it should be much longer.

sharinglungs

Man the production is fucking killer...

listen to this on a stereo system then listen a song on Gore without changing anything... do it.