Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChubbyChino

Quote from: snw9 on Aug 21, 2020, 04:31 PM
Welcome back Stephen Carpenter, from start to finish! Ohms just explodes right out as if an alien as landed on earth and just going about.

Can't wait to hear to hear more!

I hope he uses the extra low strings tho.

defburn

There are CD version, black vinyl, transparent vinyl with zin and I found gold vinyl in French market : FNAC

FatherUppercut

Quote from: defburn on Aug 21, 2020, 04:59 PM
There are CD version, black vinyl, transparent vinyl with zin and I found gold vinyl in French market : FNAC

I already got the black, clear, and gold vinyl... and I'm sure I'll get the CD too because I'm a big ole sucker

B_S_79

Quote from: FatherUppercut on Aug 21, 2020, 05:11 PM

What vinyl is the Deftones store selling? Just black?

I already got the black, clear, and gold vinyl... and I'm sure I'll get the CD too because I'm a big ole sucker

defburn

I want all for my collection

FatherUppercut

Quote from: B_S_79 on Aug 21, 2020, 05:13 PM

What vinyl is the Deftones store selling? Just black?

the store is selling the black and clear + zine. I got the gold version from another retailer

defburn

defburn

The clear is more expansive, 40 $, the gold 20 €

rainnyx4

Couldn't help myself. Got ripped and watched the video a couple times last night.

First, one of their better videos. Love this band, but have been eternally frustrated by how the videos often don't match the vibe of their music.

Musically, dug it. No rehashes of old riffs or sounds here. The structure is varied enough to keep it interesting with some amazing textures. Steph's guitar is obviously the driving force behind the song and some of the effects he used here blew me out of the water. Sounds like an electric field or video game sound effects at times, in a good way. Can see what some people were saying about it sounding like 311 and Smashing Pumpkins (never got into CKY so I can't comment on that), and it definitely sounds different for the band, but still like something they should be doing. The breakdown riff towards the end also gave me a Hum vibe as well, reminding me of stuff like Dreamboat or the breakdown in Stars. On that note, I do wish like others have said, that they stayed on that outro for longer. Chino stated that the song was initially 12 minutes, and that Steph really loves to drive home his riffs. I could totally see the song droning on at the end with that riff a la Hum, adding some fills and flourishes to keep it fresh, and just creating this wall of sound that crescendos before abruptly cutting out. Hope that 12 minute mix still exists somewhere.

Terry Date produced this well. Gore still sounds like garbage to this day, but I will maintain that Deftones' producers are more important for how the album sounds than the overall quality of the songwriting. Gore suffers both from how it sounds and the lack of enthusiasm of the band for crafting the songs.

The artwork really grew on me last night as well. My girlfriend and I stared at it for a while and brought away a bunch of different interpretations. Initially I thought it was really dumb because it looked like something a 10 year old made in MS paint. But the abstract and lo-fi quality of it I think is genius now. My girlfriend pointed out that if you cover either of the eyes, it looks like the image reverses (the left eye will look like a right eye and vice versa).

A little sad that the album doesn't appear to be that long, but if they made something that sounds cohesive and bleeds the songs together to make it feel longer, I will be happy. Hoping it feels as tight as WP and KNY.

Draken

Well my memory is complete shite... yeah i searched all the way back up to the 2006 archives but couldn't find anything. I could've sworn it started then but oh well. I just remember what a shit show it was waiting for that record. De was the fastest we've ever had news of an album being made to hearing the final product. Chi's accident was in Nov 2008 and we had a brand new record by May 2010. It seems like it started farther back and KNY doesn't feel like a long time ago, so until an older post is found that is the OG "2 more hours"...

Quote from: Penicks on Aug 21, 2020, 12:48 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 21, 2020, 05:06 AM
I'm looking for someone willing to look for the OG two more hours, I need to know who unknowingly instigated this

Quote from: SquealLikeaPig on Nov 01, 2012, 12:25 AM
2 more hours

this seems to be the first one, from the kny thread. he repeated it a couple of days later which drove people mad, then it started appearing in other threads

thatdeftkid

Quote from: sharinglungs on Aug 21, 2020, 01:55 PM
Someone asked Stef in that IG post for the 9 string when the next single was coming and he said sooner rather than later if he was betting.. I'm going to guess in 2 weeks we'll have the second single.

Oh you mean 9.4?

Draken

My apologies, you seem to have found one earlier from Nov 2012, the other one says Oct. 2012

Quote from: sharinglungs on Aug 21, 2020, 05:14 AM
Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 21, 2020, 05:06 AM
I'm looking for someone willing to look for the OG two more hours, I need to know who unknowingly instigated this

This is the earliest one I can find

https://www.sharinglungs.com/index.php/topic,19909.msg794150.html#msg794150

imbrie

Got the UK pre-order email and went for the exclusive vinyl and zine and CD.

zeromindset

Quote from: buflen on Aug 20, 2020, 06:57 PM
Quote from: macalmx on Aug 20, 2020, 06:55 PM
Quote from: buflen on Aug 20, 2020, 06:48 PM
the only thing i'm disappointed is the fact it's the album closer. I usually prefer my closer to be longer, more epic and anthemic. But i love the song, if everything else is of. the same quality, I'll be happy.

they set the bar way too high with Rubicon
I was thinking more of Pink Maggit, but yeah.

Pink Maggit is the goat of Deftones closers for sure, but also shout-out to MX / Damone

imbrie

I was going to try to not over-listen to Ohms but I've been playing the fuck out of it.

feiticeiro

Quote from: imbrie on Aug 21, 2020, 07:13 PM
Where can I do the pre-order for EU? Are there any link of the official store?

imbrie

Quote from: feiticeiro on Aug 21, 2020, 07:29 PM

This is the link in the email I received: https://deftones.warnerartists.net/?eml=2020August21%2F5078545%2F6010177&etsubid=86287813

zeromindset

Quote from: feiticeiro on Aug 21, 2020, 11:29 AM
Anyone knows what is the rainbow metallic jacket of the clear vinyl version? The texture of the fold?
I imagine it'll have a bit of a holographic look to it

feiticeiro

Quote from: imbrie on Aug 21, 2020, 07:31 PM
Quote from: feiticeiro on Aug 21, 2020, 07:29 PM

This is the link in the email I received: https://deftones.warnerartists.net/?eml=2020August21%2F5078545%2F6010177&etsubid=86287813

Thanks!  ;D