Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draken

The section of Ceremony where Chino sings "with one kiss, one caress" to me it sounds very similar to the demo of Combat. Go back and listen and tell me it doesn't sound like it a little bit. The vocal effect and delivery at least...

edit: about the 3:20 mark on the Combat demo... idk, every time I listen to that part on Ceremony it reminds me of it.

976-EVIL

Good find dude.
Hate to be a bitch but it kinda bothers me this thread is so Quiet!  Our Band has given a gift and best part is "One size fits All"
Brutal Emotive Riffs and Vocals.
Bangers and Ballads combined over just 46 Fucking  Minutes of life? Guess I'm just excited still!
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

Draken

This place is death...

I know you
feel the same...

976-EVIL

punkflop01

Quote from: 976-EVIL on Oct 25, 2020, 05:38 AM
Good find dude.
Hate to be a bitch but it kinda bothers me this thread is so Quiet!  Our Band has given a gift and best part is "One size fits All"
Bangers and Ballads combined over just 46 Fucking  Minutes of life? Guess I'm just excited still!

I'm definitely still jamming on the album!  I try not to overplay it because this way I keep getting excited every time I put it on after a short break in between. Still discovering little things that I love about the album. Headless has definitely grown to be up there with my favourites - it takes me right back to the mood of the S/T.  So eerie and soothing at the same time.

976-EVIL

Gracias Amigo!!! This guy gets it...

RaptureWS

Good find dude.

I'm still listening everyday! I can't believe it's been a month. now that it's had time to settle and marinate though it still is good as I thought it was when I first heard it. my hype what's fucking through the roof for this album and I absolutely delivered. Genesis is the only track I skip.

on spotify and my music player, everytime a new deaf tones album drops I make a new top 25 list. It's always difficult reevaluate and figure out which tracks are my top 25 favorites after an album drops, but I usually get there. but with Ohms I still don't even know where to begin in terms of my top 25 because this album is just so solid front to back. Headless and Urantia are guaranteed to be on there somewhere, but I could also see spell, radiant City and Error on there as well. I'm not at my computer so I can't see my list, but I'm thinking that five songs from an album would be the most.  for the sake of cohesiveness prosperity in terms of sharing it with people I'll probably only put two tracks on there. It just feels criminal though can only have two songs from this album on a top 25 list. I've been a fan for 23 years and Ohms really is that good.

also, I've been posting about this album on my personal Facebook page for months now in anticipation for it. it kind of paid off. I had a friend that I hadn't talked to in over a year, that also really isn't into Deftones, bring me a signed copy. I've had a really rough couple years and he just wanted to do something nice for me and he brought it by a couple weeks ago.I'm going to frame that motherfuker LOL
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

Far away

Quote from: punkflop01 on Oct 25, 2020, 06:42 AM
Good find dude.

I'm definitely still jamming on the album!  I try not to overplay it because this way I keep getting excited every time I put it on after a short break in between.

Exactly the same here. I played way too much first 2 weeks.

LG95

I could float here forever

Gaz

Clear vinyl, zine and t-shirt have finally shipped to me!

imbrie

Finally received vinyl and zine, well, two zines for some reason. Still listening to Ohms everyday and not getting tired of it at all. Nothing skippable for me on it either!

It's a brilliant album and one that will stand the test if time and be referred to fondly. It's certainly helped alleviate some of the COVID weirdness for me.

LG95

I love the snare and tom tones on Pompeji.

Draken

Quote from: Far away on Oct 25, 2020, 01:51 PM
Quote from: punkflop01 on Oct 25, 2020, 06:42 AM
Good find dude.

I'm definitely still jamming on the album!  I try not to overplay it because this way I keep getting excited every time I put it on after a short break in between.

Exactly the same here. I played way too much first 2 weeks.

I've tried not to get burntout from the album but the songs have been in my head since day 1,  I can't help but sneak in at least one song per day!  ;D

Fred Bob

Been watching the forum but had not commented on here in a long time.

I think this is a great album. First few listens I thought it was quite straightforward for them but the textures are revealing more each listen. This album is tight with band pushing in the same direction much more than previous albums. But comparing it to previous albums is a disservice to Ohms. Frank is as present as Stef and Abe over previous albums like S/T and KNY where he coloured in the margins. Sergio's bass playing shows technical prowess but is playing like a fully fledged equal member, instead of compensation like Gore. The hooks are great and Chino's performance is the icing on the cake. He is a skilled vocal song writer now.  They came to this album with something to prove but not making a 'best of' type album . They had something to prove to themselves. It's funny that Chino talked about therapy and a feeling of rebirth before the album release. Breakthrough can make you feel that the stuck machine of arrested development has restarted and just feeling is freed. You look your problems in the eye, and feel what you feels. You feel your feet on the ground and get that grit back. You can play from the point and create whatever feels right. That's what I get from this album, tight present rhythm, a solid footing to work from and taking the good with bad.

I have opinions on why I love each song and how it took a lot of listens to figure out the sweet spot where these 6 dudes connect (Terry included) but this is the main message I get from the album.

rainnyx4

Already mostly moved on from Ohms. Still my favorite band but the last two have been pretty disappointing (for different reasons). I've seen them go through peaks and valleys before though and I'm cautiously optimistic that they can still throw out another gem before calling it a career.

secretbandinsider

I think I like Gore better than Ohms, mostly because I like Chino's playing more than Steph's generally. With that said, all the songs here kick ass with the possible exception of Pompeji which I don't think I need hear ever again. I think they botched that song.

LG95

Pompeji's one of the best songs on here.

secretbandinsider

The verses are great but the prechorus/chorus is just... bad.

punkflop01

Quote from: LG95 on Oct 25, 2020, 02:00 PM
Ceremony is an all-timer.

yesss ! I keep waking up with this song playing in my head - and not even in that annoying way !

secretbandinsider

I wonder if Ceremony chorus will ever not be stuck in my head