Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

only pieces remain

Agreed. I hate when bands do this. I realize they end up just naming a track whenever the most repeated/popular phrase is on the particular song but it's just lazy as hell.

Visionz

Quote from: Hesperian Death-Horse! on Dec 12, 2020, 11:39 PM
Just realized yesterday that one of the most charming aspects of how awesome this album is, is that at no point in any of the lyrics does Chino use the titles of the songs as a lyrics in that song. The closest he comes is "The Spell of Mathematics" but that's just a single word from the title.

There's just something about not saying the title of the song in the lyrics that really pleases me and every song on this album is an example of that. Bonus!

Almost all of their songs are randomly named. I would say almost all of their titles  are not  in the lyrics. There are some, but not for the most part. Feels "on purpose" almost. Great fucking record

mandalay

This is a hallmark of most Deftones song titles.  As far as why it's not done typically, it's for marketing reasons - easier to find and purchase a song when a few key lyrics are also the title.  Most times when Deftones have done this, the song was a single (Change, Beware, Hole in the Earth, Bored, etc.).  But then there are rule breakers (like Digital Bath, Passenger, Be Quiet and Drive, My Own Summer, etc.)

elite54

Quote from: mandalay on Dec 14, 2020, 12:34 PM
This is a hallmark of most Deftones song titles.  As far as why it's not done typically, it's for marketing reasons - easier to find and purchase a song when a few key lyrics are also the title.  Most times when Deftones have done this, the song was a single (Change, Beware, Hole in the Earth, Bored, etc.).  But then there are rule breakers (like Digital Bath, Passenger, Be Quiet and Drive, My Own Summer, etc.)

Technically Passenger and My Own Summer are in the lyrics of those songs, but I know what you're saying.

Visionz

They have over 100 songs. And im sure there is no science behind it. They dont dig deep when naming songs, sorry.

secretbandinsider

I like their song names. It can be cringey when some bands have the title in the chorus, am glad Deftones don't do that, Passenger being the exception.

Draken

and Bored, Around the Fur, Headup, Change, Hole in the Earth, Rapture, Beware, Prayers/Triangles... yea i'm glad Deftones don't do that.

secretbandinsider

damn ok you got me. I completely forgot about Rapture lol

Penicks

doesn't he whisper hexagram at the end as well

Visionz

Quote from: Draken on Dec 19, 2020, 05:11 AM
and Bored, Around the Fur, Headup, Change, Hole in the Earth, Rapture, Beware, Prayers/Triangles... yea i'm glad Deftones don't do that.
Again, they have over 100 songs.  I dont think theres anything going on here. I do think you all r looking way too deep into it digging up lyrics to prove a dumb point  ::)

Visionz

That wasn't a nice thing or a purposeful thing to say (what i said)..... sorry. But, i don't think they do anything intentional as far as song titles or album titles. They r good at being cool and nonchalant. That though, ..............may be intentional
Also, i have heard Chino say he feels things, tastes things,smells things, sees things when he hears sounds or words. Could be a thing here idk

secretbandinsider

I love how much Chino abstracts his lyrics. Direct lyrics with no room for interpretation are cringe.

Penicks

Penicks

SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK

LG95

I could float here forever

Hidalgo

Quote from: secretbandinsider on Dec 20, 2020, 10:45 AM
Direct lyrics with no room for interpretation are cringe.
ehh i don't think so. good songs are good even if the lyrics are straight forward. not a problem for me whatsoever, i love tons of straight forward lyrics. Chino just usually does things different, but that style is kinda rare(and makes him unique, along with his voice and range). some of his stuff is so weird it's like the odd shit you think right before you fall alseep, or while dreaming. then he likes to do metaphors and imagery. but sometimes throws straight forward stuff in there too

Hesperian Death-Horse!

Quote from: Visionz on Dec 20, 2020, 03:21 AM
That wasn't a nice thing or a purposeful thing to say (what i said)..... sorry. But, i don't think they do anything intentional as far as song titles or album titles. They r good at being cool and nonchalant. That though, ..............may be intentional
Also, i have heard Chino say he feels things, tastes things,smells things, sees things when he hears sounds or words. Could be a thing here idk

I've never seen the quote of him talking about that but what he is describing is called "synesthesia" and I also have that. I had no idea Chino also experience it.

I never thought Deftones were necessarily going out of their way to accomplish some great feat by not naming songs after exact lyrical phrases but it is something that improves the total package for me simply because I have baggage about song titles being repeated in the lyrics especially the chorus.

And I was certain that Deftones were not guilty of NEVER using song titles in the lyrics. I knew there were plenty of examples of them doing just that. I don't really mind it with them because they just manage to compose their songs in a way where that doesn't really stand out because the music and the vocal style is just so good.

secretbandinsider

@Hidalgo

I'll walk that back a bit, direct lyrics CAN work, especially in other genres like punk. I was thinking more of cringey metal lyrics like 5FDP or Disturbed lol

Draken

;D Some of the comments here, lmao.

Tbh it doesn't really bother me about direct lyrics in the title of the song. The one time it made me cringe was in Prayers/Triangles. PRAYERRRRRZ! TRIANGULLLLZ!

Deftones are just one of those bands who are wise enough to change things up every once and awhile and not fall into stupid trends. Sure they have some moments but they've done a pretty good job of keeping it relatively fresh and true to themselves which is an amazing accomplishment for a mainstream band from the 90's, especially considering the nature of the industry. Back to School is a prime example of where they were kind of backed in to a corner to produce a trendy radio hit, but since they have pretty much done whatever they want. There is no excuse for CMD/CTRL though, they'll just have to live with that one...

Draken

Have you all noticed how The Spell of Mathematics looks in the poll? Idk but it looks like a giant...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpiP_jN1Pv4