Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visionz

Quote from: Draken on Dec 21, 2020, 03:02 AM
Have you all noticed how The Spell of Mathematics looks in the poll? Idk but it looks like a giant...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpiP_jN1Pv4

I seriously think it is one of the best things they have composed. Especially Chino's lyrics here and melody. The strange things Stephen and Sergio do here are great too. Just sounds fucking amazing to me. I love that shit man. Its Deftones at their finest

secretbandinsider

aww, I liked PRAYERRRRRZ! TRIANGULLLLZ lol

Have to agree about Spell, maybe a top 10 of all time song

Crazylegs

I am so confused by the overwhelming love for the spell of mathematics in the poll.
And I'm equally confused by the lack of love for the title track.

secretbandinsider

The overwhelming love for Spell is because it's just that good my dude. I will however agree that the lack of love for t/t is disturbing. Easily second best song on here.

LG95

The poll was made when the album came out, wasn't it? New songs are always more exciting than a song you heard a month earlier.
I could float here forever

Hidalgo

Quote from: Crazylegs on Dec 21, 2020, 06:53 PM
And I'm equally confused by the lack of love for the title track.

me too. i'm one of the whopping 2 people who voted for Ohms as my favortite, and it still is. it has the best riffs on the album in my opinion, and probably the best video they've ever made. it's essential deftones to me

Hidalgo

Quote from: secretbandinsider on Dec 21, 2020, 01:05 AM
@Hidalgo

I'll walk that back a bit, direct lyrics CAN work, especially in other genres like punk. I was thinking more of cringey metal lyrics like 5FDP or Disturbed lol
well those are garbage bands, so they write terrible lyrics and crap songs. but good bands with straight forward lyrics make good songs. actually most bands i hate, the band is actually ok, just the singer ruins it. like i think godsmack's music is awesome, if it had no lyrics/vocals

Vesanic

Love the title track, it's probably second favourite after Spell. That crescendo riff near the end is all the love.

The demo Chino played on that broadcast was straight up beautiful.

secretbandinsider

Ohms is delightful to play on guitar too, I tuned up to standard just to learn it. Such a fun jam, almost brings a tear to my eye. It ALMOST tops TSOM for me :P

Visionz

Im really grateful for this record. Im almost equally grateful that all the other fans of the band, it seems anyways, loves it also. God, i really cant believe they made this.... after Gore. I dont hate Gore,  but what i didnt love abt it is the same as everyone else doesn't love abt it

laurapalmer

I voted Headless, not sure if that would still be the case but I haven't listened to it start to finish in a while. I also don't get the overwhelming love for Spell but it's a solid track

secretbandinsider

can't help but feel like the non-TSOM people are just being contrarians lol

Draken

Title track IS underrated, easily one of their best tracks of the Sergio era, imo.

and yes I don't understand how anyone could not love TSOM, I think they are just down playing it to be a contrarian, or maybe they just don't love Deftones for the same reasons? Which is fine, we are all different that way. I love them for the moods they create in the music, and TSOM has mood. I also like how their music paints a picture in my head when I listen to it, the biggest reason why I love Deftones. My favorite songs can transport me somewhere else, like into a fantasy or a daydream. TSOM for me always conjures imagery like Game of Thrones Season 2 episode 1: The Burning of the 7 Gods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH2NNvYvynM

rainnyx4

TSOM is definitely the best "heavy" song on the album. And, it's in what I think is the heart of the album, tracks 2-5.  I personally think Errorr is the way to go. But I wouldn't really argue too much with anyone saying any of those tracks are the best or their favorites on the album. Whoever chooses Pompeji on the other hand, ooph.

secretbandinsider

After 80+ plays I can officially say that Urantia is underwhelming. Also Pompeji. I actually skip them now. The rest of the album hits like a freight train.

Visionz

TLID to me, is so corny. Its Chino's lyrics and angst here that i cant listen to ever again. For me its a straight 9for 10 or 9 outta 10 record. Love the rest. Urantia is a cool song that grew on me.

laurapalmer

Quote from: Visionz on Dec 23, 2020, 12:47 AM
TLID to me, is so corny. Its Chino's lyrics and angst here that i cant listen to ever again. For me its a straight 9for 10 or 9 outta 10 record. Love the rest. Urantia is a cool song that grew on me.

I mostly agree with this. Song also probably easily goes the least places of the 10

secretbandinsider

actually you're right, I forgot TLID even existed lol

LG95

TLID rules.

Genesis has been my least favourite by a distance since the album came out. Pretty good song but I don't think it's anywhere near the other nine tracks.
I could float here forever