Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

only pieces remain

I'm all for differing opinions but that's an extremely odd one.

laurapalmer

Well admittedly I was pretty drunk when I wrote that but some of the songs sounded alittle flat to me at the time

Draken

it's ok we're here to support you

admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.  :D

976-EVIL

Quote from: Draken on Dec 28, 2020, 12:17 AM
it's ok we're here to support you

admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.  :D

LMAO Brilliant and agreed
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

Vesanic

I'm actually a bit underwhelmed with the production, not gonna lie.

laurapalmer

Quote from: Vesanic on Dec 29, 2020, 05:02 PM
I'm actually a bit underwhelmed with the production, not gonna lie.

Let's wait and see what reaction this gets

Visionz

For some reasons, I agree about the production, but I'm not gonna lie, I love the album!..... especially where they are at and WHEN they are at!!! But let's not nitpick, bud. If you are going to sit here and run a thing like this around this band, if you haven't liked  things for SO LONG....what do you like V?
I mean it seems you enjoy Deftones, but you haven't really expressed any enjoyment for at least 90% of the material they have released for maybe a decade or more? I mean why do you come here and run this thing when you only act like you are so for this band? I could be reading you wrong, but seriously, it's like you have these high standards for this band that you run this board for. What do you like V? You seem to be stuck on Pink Maggit (2000) which is my fav too.... but what drives you to stay on here every day or  every other day,? If you're not into any of this, then what does this all mean? And fuck anybody who wants to suck his dick.... what's the deal, V?
I guess I have a hard time understanding why some people return to the site every day year after year but don't seem to enjoy most of the band's material they are talking about. I thoroughly love this band. There are things of course that aren't perfect, but I really like this band enough to come here at my age and talk about them and engage in conversation, or at least try. But it's because of my love for this band since 1998, that I try to find some kind of conversation here that I come here but I find that a lot of times, it's all about who's camera or connections are bigger, I dont care. But there you go

Vesanic

This reaction was expected and it's very fair, I sure am very active in the community so I understand the confusion.

I haven't enjoyed any of their music the way I enjoy the one they made with Chi. I had a quick phase with Diamond Eyes that didn't last too long. Sorry to sound dramatic but a part of me died when Chi died. I knew it was never going to be the same.

Me keeping up with them despite my "high standards" was a way to move on. I still enjoy going to their shows. I also still find a lot of satisfaction taking care of DeftonesLive. Besides, I got into the community mostly to find a live version of Pink Maggit, hence DeftonesLive. And I still haven't found one, in 15+ years.

I think it was this year that someone uploaded a video of the show of the (possibly) only time they played it live. Security was tight on that day and the guy was cut short, so I'm slowly starting to accept this quest shall remain fruitless. The only way for me to hear that song live would be to gain access to the SBD of that show (if they even kept it), or see Deftones play it live in the present. I'm not hopeful for either of those two.

By being a part of this community and creating DeftonesLive, I learned a lot as a human being and as a professional, and I was able to do that while focusing on my favorite band. It ain't so bad. DeftonesLive is the main reason I'm still here. I like digging into their live history, it gives me a drive.

The evolution of this band, no matter my possible dissatisfactions, remains one of the most interesting things in the history of music. It's just fascinating to me. I am critical (I don't like Black Stallion as a whole, I don't understand the prod on Gore, I don't get why they're not more daring live, etc.), but that's part of the trip. Deftones are like a beautiful dysfunctional, illogical family. On paper, they're a band that does not work. The fact they got as successful, despite their hard work, was a long shot and I'm sure they know that to an extent. They're like a beautiful accident. SharingLungs user musteatbrainz put that in a brilliant way a few years ago, check out their post history.

I don't know the band personally, but they're metaphorically an extension of things I know, and I guess a bit of myself. To get a little more personal, I had an important love story on this forum. We bonded over this band.

If Deftones were the perfect band with rad setlists, Chino on top of this game all the time, 10/10 music every time, I can't imagine how boring it would be for me. Being critical is part of who I am. I know it sounds weird but that's psychology for you. Them being the way they are with setlists makes it so much more rewarding when they actually do something special and you happen to be there. Hearing Combat live premiere in 2011, and Battle-axe in 2018 after 11 years of not being played, are two of the moments I'll never forget. Those occurrences being so rare make it much more personal in a strange way. Can you imagine how boring the sky would be if you could see shooting stars all the time?

Additionally, regarding DeftonesLive again, so much has been done. My White Pony video was pretty successful, I heard they watched it. I hate to sound like a fanboy but fuck it, it feels great. Not to mention the big following we built over time who like the editing and historian works we provide.

Didn't mean to get too deep but there you go. They're the best band ever. Fuck what everyone says.

And yes, I am super obsessed with Pink Maggit. That doesn't stop me from discovering lots of other beautiful music. But there's nothing like this song. There will never be. It's like that one-in-a-billion shot. And the mystery around it (they almost never played it live - they never talk about the demo they used to play live when they talk about the pre-White Pony days - there's a version on YouTube you can't find anywhere else, etc.) makes it so much more fascinating to me. I don't need an excuse.

Vesanic

Oh I forgot to mention: Ohms is great. There's only one track I can't click with. The Spell of Mathematics is majestic and in my top 10. Every other song is also a banger.

My main beef with the prod is the surprising lack of drum power. It's the same guy who produced White Pony and the self-titled. I didn't feel that hit.

Visionz

Quote from: Vesanic on Dec 30, 2020, 09:29 AM
Oh I forgot to mention: Ohms is great. There's only one track I can't click with. The Spell of Mathematics is majestic and in my top 10. Every other song is also a banger.

My main beef with the prod is the surprising lack of drum power. It's the same guy who produced White Pony and the self-titled. I didn't feel that hit.
Thats grrrrreat to hear that u also enjoy Ohms..... but when I met the band at Gusoline Alley in Royal Oak Michigan USA in 2012, they didn't seem like the type of guys who cared about making any of us happy. It was the third time meeti g most of the band ,and each member simply lead me to believe the music they were making was the music they were simply making and that they wanted to make just like we have all been led to believe..... There is no secret to any of this hiding songs/not playing songs, etc from what ive heard anyways( got to drink with them once in Royal Oak) honest people they were/are i suspect

Vesanic

There's probably not a big mystery behind it. Deftones just happened to become masters at building a mystique without even knowing. That's how I became a fan! And it's fine if there's nothing behind it. The trip is what matters.

Visionz

Quote from: Vesanic on Dec 30, 2020, 10:06 AM
There's probably not a big mystery behind it. Deftones just happened to become masters at building a mystique without even knowing. That's how I became a fan! And it's fine if there's nothing behind it. The trip is what matters.
NICE!!! Thats exactly what i feel... i dont have anyone in my personal life to ruin that or make it better besides this board. I love that and thank you.

LG95

Motherfucker still ain't into Urantia?

A PICTURE PERFECT STRAAAAAAAAAAANGE
I could float here forever

sing blue silver

Hey, good to see this place still exists after all these years.

Ohms is a top tier album imo. Only song I can't really get into is Ceremony. Not feeling the "it's an illuuuuuuusion" part. This Link Is Dead and Radiant City are fucking bangers though. Also Urantia for the riffage.

Inkblades

Terry's production on Ohms is a bit "dirty", more Adrenaline and S/T than the "big slickness" of Around the Fur and White Pony. I know nothing about music production, mind you, just going by what my "ear gut" tells me.

Draken

Urantia is great but it's not a song I can loop over and over like their other songs. That opening riff gimmick gets old kinda quick.

I agree about the production, though I still feel that Terry was the right choice for producer. The man is like a 6th band member to Deftones. I think not being able to mix the entire album together in the same room might have had an effect on the end result. Genesis just feels off to me, it's probably the drums not slapping like they should as some of you have said. Idk why modern production doesn't favor hard hitting drums they way they used to... I feel the same disappointment in Failure's new music. Just listen to Small Crimes from their Magnified album and then listen to Distorted Fields from their 2018 album afterward and you'll see what I mean. Those drums need to hit you deep in the chest...

and Ves, I feel you on a lot of what you said. It's amazing how everyone has their own personal connections to the art form, it makes it deeply personal and unique to us. That's why it's fascinating to me how everyone here gravitates to different songs and sounds that the same band produces.

I feel the same way about Chi, doesn't mean I don't love some of the Sergio era stuff though. It's just not the same anymore, the dynamic has changed. His spirit isn't in the music because now it's Sergio, and Sergio does a fantastic job, they really couldn't have found a better replacement. (Though you can never replace someone like Chi, same as you can never replace any of them.)

Oh and I just want to thank you Ves again for running DeftonesLive. Good stuff man. I too hope to hear a better setlist from these guys, especially one with Pink Maggit.

E-Money

Quote from: LG95 on Dec 30, 2020, 04:08 PM
Motherfucker still ain't into Urantia?

A PICTURE PERFECT STRAAAAAAAAAAANGE

Haha exactly!! I have to give V shit all the time for it! I'm grateful for this band and the friendships I've made over them ! Even tho I've never met V In person, we have shared so much music over the years and had hundreds of hours of conversation about our favorite band! And I'm super grateful for that!

I feel the same Way. The drums just don't punch like I was expecting. Still really like the record and definitely wish chino played more guitar on it. To me my favorite jams are when Chino and Steph both play guitar.

But that Urantia Chorus is a beauty!!😉🙌🏻

secretbandinsider

The problem with Urantia and Pompeji is that upon frequent listens, those tracks fall by the wayside. They just don't hold up to repeated playing like the rest of the album does. And I don't really like the production on this album either. It's not bad, but I feel like Date produced this album like it was an old version of Deftones, while the band has kind of modernized since then leaving a bit of a weird disconnect there. Great album though, a strong 8/10

LG95

Quote from: secretbandinsider on Dec 31, 2020, 08:21 AM
And I don't really like the production on this album either. It's not bad, but I feel like Date produced this album like it was an old version of Deftones, while the band has kind of modernized since then leaving a bit of a weird disconnect there.
I disagree with this. I don't think this is produced like any of his other Deftones albums. It's more raw, less drum-heavy, more live sounding.
I could float here forever

mandalay

I can completely understand why V is somewhat disillusioned with the band's work following Cheng's death.  It's simply not the same band for many reasons and in many ways.  They are much safer now.  And it's not that Cheng was the source of the band's edge/mystique, or that they wouldn't have progressed this way should that accident not have occurred.  It's impossible to nail down the change to one particular reason, but safe to say it's not the same band in many ways.

That said, I still find their past works - particularly WP, ST, some of SNW, and Eros era material - absolutely enthralling, especially live footage from 1999-2004.  That connection is so deep and, after 20 years of being a fan, will never be dulled.  And it's what keeps me coming back here as well. 

As far as Ohms, I'm frankly surprised so many are in love with album.  I certainly don't need WP, ST, or older material rehashed and duplicated.  But what I've come to expect from the band are interesting, new ideas/riffs, profound lyrics, unique melodies, and unmistakable depth.  I didn't find any of those things on this record.  Instead, I found some contrived/lazy riffs, uninspired or cringey lyrics, and a band phoning it in with a producer who are all past their creative peaks. 

It KILLS me to say these things about a band I love so dearly, but if something doesn't click with me personally, then that's my opinion.  Of course, everyone has their own, and no opinion is right/wrong, but some are more shared than others, which can shut out dissenting ones.  I will say the riff on "Radiant City" is pretty badass, but after at least 100 listens to Ohms since release, I still can't hear any of the songs in my head when trying to recall them.  For me a forgettable record, but truly happy it resonated with so many others. 

And in no way does my experience with Ohms at all put a dent in my appreciation for the band I grew up on and with many years ago.