Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Urantia book and Deftones / musicians

Started by UrantiaResearch, Apr 27, 2022, 11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UrantiaResearch

I've been researching and working on a book about bands/music influenced by or with connections to The Urantia Book. When it comes to Deftones, the song title is what got me to start researching the band. Other than that, the only thing I've found is a podcast where Chino mentions being "infatuated" with religion even though he's not a "follower" of any, and talked about things that are interesting to know about, and the one book he mentioned was The Urantia Book.

I've speculated that Deftones might have first been introduced to the book by Deadsy, since the two bands toured together in the fall of 2006. Deadsy had "Urantia" this and that on their website, and the lyrics of "Mansion World" were heavily inspired/influenced by the book (including the name "Urantia" in the lyrics).

I'd be grateful to hear if anyone has any research tips or info that could be helpful.

I also have a question about how a user name will have a word under it, and I've seen a bunch with "Urantia" under the user name. I'm not sure how it works, but I was looking at a thread from 2011 and looking at a user that appears to no longer be active in this forum, but "Urantia" will still under their user name. Since the song is recent, I'm wondering and trying to find out how that could have come about.

In this thread for instance https://www.sharinglungs.com/index.php/topic,18907.0.html One_Weak has "Urantia" under their name, but the user seems to have been inactive for lots of years. Same goes for others.

Previous to the popular song, "Urantia" basically always was used in reference to the book, but when it comes to Deftones listeners, it's now a song title. :)

By the way, in my research on metal and "Urantia" I've found that Cynic has lyrics inspired by the book and the frontman confirmed that he was reading and using it for inspiration and ideas while writing the lyrics. There are also a bunch of non-famous bands named Urantia - two are quite established - one in Brazil and one in Colombia. But since the name is trademarked, a band with commercial success would probably be required to change their name (or get permission from Urantia foundation).

I've also been researching dozens and dozens of musicians in many other genres - mostly of the Baby Boomer generation - Hendrix, Elvis, Jerry Garcia, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jaco, Santana, Stockhausen, Moody Blues, and many others, mostly in rock, jazz and country.

Urantia

Penicks

pretty random stuff but interesting nonetheless. the song titles under usernames change depending on the amount of posts. every album cycle they get updated with the new songs so that's something you shouldn't pay attention to