Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The books thread

Started by tarkil, Jan 16, 2006, 02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rxqueen

Wow, joke.

@ wifeparty.. kids are awesome, I somehow sometimes feel the longing for being a teacher..

BigDave

wifeparty

BigDave

rxqueen

The quoting thing..

BigDave

i bought the novel of city of god yesterday; i'm really looking forward to starting it.

Paint Your Lips

Quote from: BigDave on Jun 22, 2006, 01:34 AM
i bought the novel of city of god yesterday; i'm really looking forward to starting it.
If that's the book that's also made into a movie, then you're in for a treat, mate. And if you haven't seen that movie; get to it.

rxqueen

My newest achievements.. :D I don't care if you can read german at all!

I read it often before, but I don't know where I left it..

I read her first book. It was so honest..

BigDave

Quote from: Paint Your Lips on Jun 24, 2006, 02:35 PM
Quote from: BigDave on Jun 22, 2006, 01:34 AM
If that's the book that's also made into a movie, then you're in for a treat, mate. And if you haven't seen that movie; get to it.

yea the film is one of my favourites.

Mazzy

Quote from: rxqueen on Jun 26, 2006, 12:58 AM

I read her first book. It was so honest..

it looks interesting. is this her second book? what was the first one about? how does she write?

i finished reading Are Men Necessary?: When Sexes Collide by Maureen Dowd.

a few original ideas, but most of this stuff is common knowledge. i found dowd's writing style too repetitive, and thought she tried far too hard to coin witticisms and construct cutesy sentences. it's only something small but it really grated on me while reading it. i honestly couldn't wait to finish this book so i could pick up something else. a shame, because dowd does have some interesting points to make. again, the most incisive passage comes not from the author, but from a quoted section:

"Would a man find the prospect of a string of partners so appealing if the following rules were applied: that no matter how much he may like a particular woman and be pleased by her performance and want to sleep with her again, he will have no say in the matter and wil be dependent on her mood and good grace for all future contact; that each act of casual sex will cheapen his status and make him increasingly less attractive to other women; and that society will not wink at his randiness but rather sneer at him and think him pathetic, sullied, smaller than life? Until men are subjected to the same severe standards and threat of censure as women are, and until they are given the lower hand in a so-called casual encounter from the start, it is hard to insist with such self-satisfaction that, hey, it's natural, men like a lot of sex with a lot of people and women don't." ~ Woman Natalie Angier

rxqueen

Quote from: Mazzy on Jun 28, 2006, 10:46 AM
it looks interesting. is this her second book? what was the first one about? how does she write?

Yeh, it's her second book. She wrote her first one with 17, it's her real diary. Quite shocking and touching. She tells how she has been used (sexually) by different men, her first experiences of this kind and stuff. It's called 'Mit geschlossenen Augen' (With closed eyes?) and it got very popular. The second one wasn't that interesting to me, she seems very confused (not to say nuts) for me and maybe that's a little bit over the top. But the first one was brilliant, I'm just thankfull my little soul has never got into certain circles she described..

Mazzy

is there an english translation because the only thing i know how to say in german is herz im kopf, which is one of my favourite movies ever.

i shall ask for it at the book shop next week. if there is an english translation of course. i know they translate the really popular books but if she's an unknown it'll be hard to find. it's rather troublesome.

rxqueen

Hm, I think it's pretty popular.. just ask, I'm sure it has been translated into english!

BigDave

i started reading the great gatsby.

tarkil

Just started P.K. Dick - Maze of Death

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

rxqueen

Quote from: BigDave on Jul 04, 2006, 10:53 AM

Uhh, tell me how it is.. I thought about reading it..

BigDave

Quote from: rxqueen on Jul 04, 2006, 09:21 PM
Quote from: BigDave on Jul 04, 2006, 10:53 AM

Uhh, tell me how it is.. I thought about reading it..

yea it's superb.  perfect writing, nice social commentary, not too long.

Ever_Foreign_Flag

Picture of Dorian Grey's not bad.

Mazzy

i'm half-way through Anna Karenina.

however i am really intent on starting The Asian Mystique by Sheridan Prasso next. She has been writing about Asia for more than fifteen years.

The Asian Mystique lays out a provocative challenge to see Asia and Asians as they really are, with unclouded, deeroticised eyes. It traces the origins of Western stereotypes in history and in Hollywood, examines the phenomenon of 'yellow fever,' then goes on a reality tour of Asia's go-go bars, middle-class homes, college campuses, business districts, and corridors of power, providing intimate profiles of women's lives and vivid portraits of the human side of an Asia we usually mythologise too well to really understand. It strips away our misconceptions and stereotypes, revealing instead the fully dimensional human beings beyond our usual perceptions. The Asian Mystique is required reading for anyone with interest in or interaction with Asia or Asian-origin people, as well as any serious student or practicioner of East-West relations.

sounds awesome.

tarkil

Robert Heinlein : The past through tomorrow

Not so bad for the moment, but not great either...

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.